Recommended Flash Drive size for customizations

I like to choose an SD card with a reader option so I can redeploy it somewhere else if needed.

I usually choose a 2G size. Partly is because of the largest size of a FAT partition, partly because 2G is usually the largest size a built in reader handles (without going to SDHC). Although I do have regular 4G SD cards... they are not that easy to come by. Most are SDHC.

You can get away with much smaller, but with all I put on mine, with logs, I get close to the max size.

The smallest I've used was 1GB in side.

Mine are 1G, but if buying today I'd go 2G.  Your unRAID key is married to this thing, and you want room to grow.  And besides the cost difference from 1G to 2G is very small.  Why not get a little bigger and be sure you'll have enough space!

I have had some problems with older motherboards getting them to boot with larger sticks.  One old motherboard booted fine with a 512M stick, but not with a 1G stick.  I didn't do too much debugging, so not sure the reason.