ArchVM with plex problem

I have minidlna set up on ArchVM and have been getting some very strange symptoms - sometimes the client would see the dlna service, other times it wouldn't. Sometimes, another client would see the service when the first client wouldn't.  Eventually, the service would fail to be found altogether.  I created a second ArchVM and installed minidlna there - great, it worked!  Then it became erratic again before failing altogether.

I though that there might be a problem with some resource on the server.  I deleted the database to allow it to be recreated.  While minidlna was building the db, the service was available once more but by the time the db had finished building, the service was no longer found.

I googled the problem, still expecting to find that a resource on the server needed to be increased ... nothing.  Then I came across something which surprised me - dlna uses something called IGMP (Intel Group Management Protocol).  I looked at my router configuration and, sure enough, IGMP Proxy was not enabled.  I enabled it and, as if by magic, both minidlna services became instantly available.

Now, I made this change only 20 hours ago, so I'm not yet completely convinced, but the system all came up working after a power cut this morning, so the initial signs are good.

Same problem here. Issue also is the other way around: I cannot detect Hue lamps or WeMo switches on my network from inside my VM. It looks like multicast packages are getting dropped going in and out of the VM. I tried searching the web but didn't find a solution.

I have a similar issue with Plex on ArchVM:  I have seen the Plex DNLA server intermittently showing up on clients, but I don't really use the DLNA portion so I haven't looked into it much.

Enabling IGMP Snooping on my router seems to have helped the issue.  More testing to verify but I can see the DLNA server on my phone for the first time now.

I have a similar issue with Plex on ArchVM:  I have seen the Plex DNLA server intermittently showing up on clients, but I don't really use the DLNA portion so I haven't looked into it much.

Enabling IGMP Snooping on my router seems to have helped the issue.  More testing to verify but I can see the DLNA server on my phone for the first time now.

I was having the same issue and IGMP seems to have done the trick.

Anyone any idea why Plex on unraid would work fine but in a VM has dodgy DLNA?

I was having the same issue and IGMP seems to have done the trick.

Anyone any idea why Plex on unraid would work fine but in a VM has dodgy DLNA?

I have no idea.  In my case I think IGMP has something to do with the router deciding which traffic to pass between the wired and wireless LAN, based on my 2 minutes of searching.  The VM is on the LAN and the clients are all wireless, so this seems to make sense.  However, I previously had Plex running on my W7 machine on the same LAN as the VM, and had no issues seeing the DLNA server on wireless.  I think it's something specific to this VM somehow.

So you're having a DLNA problem with plex in arch?  hmmm I don't do dlna but I can try it out when I get it installed in my newly created Arch VM.  I'll be annoyed if I lose any functionality since I might want it in the future.  I guess my question is: could there be a package that isn't installed in Arch?  Chances are it might not be installed by default either in Ubuntu Server [shrug].

PS I answered your question in the arch vm re: backing up plex ... that is I answered it again but this time with the correct answer :)

• 2 weeks later...