How much RAM do you have installed in your unRAID server?

Those with over 32Gb ram - what do you use it for? 

I'm finding the general unraid OS & 10 dockers (plex & all the rr's plus nordlynx, steamheadless etc uses up to 6/8GB ram.

The rest is free so that leaves 24/26GB for a virtual machines etc which is insane.

Edited by dopeytree
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 8:23 PM, dopeytree said:

Those with over 32Gb ram - what do you use it for? 

I'm finding the general unraid OS & 10 dockers (plex & all the rr's plus nordlynx, steamheadless etc uses up to 6/8GB ram.

The rest is free so that leaves 24/26GB for a virtual machines etc which is insane.

56GB memory. (yeah, I am one stick short) 

Docker in idle uses around 4GB. Under load (Plex, Paperless, Handbrake, Docker Cache) I have seen it going up to around 10GB. But mostly virtualization. One VM to run a Docker System with 20 container for work, my different web-server and my Unifi controller. I use around 13GB in idle. My work VM alone can take up to 30GB of memory.

previously 32 gb when i ran unraid just as a nas, now i host everything on unraid so i have 128gb ram, i have multiple webservers that combined rack up around 60k unique visitors per day so i need to keep those database indexes in ram for smooth operation

image.thumb.png.c348c0672ca9e60436ea65c40f75ec29.png

Edited by je82

Just a modest setup with 64GB but will add 64GB more next month. Running on a Ryzen 5600G, everything build in a 4U storage enclosure with 24 hot swap bays connected to 2 HBA's and the onboard data ports. Currently 9 8TB NAS drives installed with 2 1TB NVME SSD's for cache. Planning to move my VM's from my old Proxmox server to Unraid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

144GB, 40% utilization.

I'm running a few VMs and lots of docker containers, plus it's nice to not have to worry about having enough memory if I should decide to spin up more VMs.

I also have a backup server (which is for backups, really), with 64GB RAM. It runs plain Ubuntu Server at the moment, and my only plan for this server is to throw more disks at it.

On 10/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, dopeytree said:

Yup, completely agree.  So why do I have so much?  Two reasons, the price is right (best cost per GB) and in the past 25 years I always regret not getting enough RAM.  Sure, it's overkill at first but then there comes a point down the road when you wish you had more and then the cost is through the roof for the specific type you need.

The screenshot below comes from one of my file servers.  Main apps running on it are Plex and Syncthing.

image.png.f9d86c1f15f6c713b07be5b255119f2c.png

Edited by TimTheSettler
  • 3 months later...

I have 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB in my HP N36L, N40L, and N54L microservers. But I will be upgrading them all to 16GB. I currently only have four with 16GB. But, as I setup new arrays, I am installing two, 8GB, ECC sticks of memory. Unfortunately, 16GB is the max memory it will take.

Edited by aaronwt