How much RAM do you have installed in your unRAID server?

I have 16GB of Registered ECC DDR2 RAM in a 4X4GB configuration, but have never come close to using it all. I recently reconfigured my drive arrangement form 8X4TB drives and 2X2TB drives down to 3X2TB drives, involving the need to transfer 3TB of the files off of the server onto an external HDD attached to my computer over a gigabit network connection and the server never used more than 29% of the available RAM

• 2 weeks later...

16GB for me, I run two VM's, five Dockers and I have NEVER needed more RAM than that.

8GB for a Windows VM (Always On)

2GB for Remix OS (Always On)

6GB for MCMyAdmin2 Docker (Dockers only use what they need at the moment and I only have 3 Players)

Sickrage Docker

sabnzbd Docker

Plex Docker

ProFTPd Plugin

Love my Server but 384GB!! LMFAO I remember when 512MB was the funk! ;-)

32 gb ecc ddr3... because that's all my motherboard supports, running Xeon E3-1225v3 (quad core, but 1 thread a core, so only 4 threads... kinda wish I had more, especially if I ever start using my windows 10 VM).. on a Dell proprietary motherboard with an Intel C226 chipset (Gutted from a Dell Poweredge T20) now in a node 804 case, with 2 x 4tb WD Red, 2 x 3tb WD Red, 2 x 2tb WD Gold, and 2 x 2tb WD Blue, and a Crucial MX300 750gb SSD.. with a flashed Dell Perc H310 to support all the HDs.  All powered by a Seasonic Prime Titanium SSSR-750TD PSU. 

Also got an Intel X540-T2 10Gbit dual network card about to be delivered... not sure if it'll make any difference, but figured I'd at least try it out.

Waiting for a good deal on a second .5-1tb SSD to complete my storage, got the 750gb Crucial for $100 last November... wishing I had bought 2.  After that, I think this system is good to go.

Have also considered getting a Supermicro Server motherboard, but unless I want to buy all new RAM and CPU, not sure if it would be much of an upgrade considering the LGA1150 socket DDR3 boards are Intel C222 or C224 chipset... and just doesn't seem too practical based on having a C226 already (even if it is a dell proprietary board).

16GB DRR4 non-ECC

Mostly use the server for virtualization and various microservices in docker containers. Might upgrade to 32GB once RAM prices become sane again. With the current setup, I have to shut down most of my other VMs so I can give my render slave 8GB of RAM and I'd probably even want more than that in the long run.

32gb having bought an additional 16gb last week.

That's for a couple of VMs I'm planning to add as soon as I get a chance... Until now the 16gb available was enough for the Dockers I'm using...

Edited by eek
  • 2 weeks later...

I can imagine a very small amount, like 1GB, should suffice when unraid is used purely as a fileserver.

I personally have got 16GB installed, because I'm running a few VMs and a couple of dockers. I also like the idea of filecache in memory, and a bit of overhead in case when something really needs it, has never hurt anyone. Also, memory is quite cheap, so why not.