How much RAM do you have installed in your unRAID server?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't laugh...

My two main servers on 24/7 used for adding to, editing and compressing video and active content sharing only have 1GB RAM each (total only 28TB of storage between the two).  They work great and are really only file storage, and all work is done on other computers.  Multiple drives are almost always being accessed either by me and my working data munching computers, or by family remotely watching content remotely somewhere using Plex.  Plex is also running an a separate server looking at my unRAID shares.

My main ARCHIVE server is a bit heftier, and much newer.  It has 8GB of RAM, has 30TB of storage, and is also on 24/7, and is also seen by my Plex server.

NOTE:  I only use Plex outside the home, and always use XBMC or KODI internally.

My other less used specialty backup servers I think are now all up to 1 GB of RAM, but some may have less.  They are only powered up when I need to access much older data, files, and machine drive images and such.   Many of these are not x64 capable either.

I do not like upgrading, and feel if it is working well let it keep running as it is.  If I need more, I look at what my future/new need is, and usually just build a new machine to add to the pool/farm.  I did pick up a new (actually old surplus) server that has 4 CPUs, and I think 32GB of RAM, but I have not had a chance to really play much with it yet.  I was planning on setting it up with all the new bells and whistles and run a Plex server on it after I get a new unRAID key for it.

Not to sidetrack this, but PlexKodiConnect is nice, but a little slow and buggy, at least when I used it many months ago and it was also running on my Nvidia Shield at the time. I'm sure it would work better now on my HTPC which has a Core i7, an SSD and 24 GB of RAM. I may check it out again since I do use both Plex and Kodi regularly, I've stuck with Trakt as being the easiest solution.

• 4 weeks later...

I am using a cheap old Enterprise Server.

Dual quad core Xeon L5420

64GB RAM DDR2

20TB Usable Storage Space

Once done will be BackupPlan to a Raid 6 FreeNAS with the Same Specs other than 30TB of Storage Area. I plan to backup Multiple PCs. Server to Server connection will be a 10GBe connection. The Motherboard will be the only slowdown.

Currently have 8GB PC3-12800E (2x 4GB) and while it works now, with Plex's transcoder set to /tmp, I often see RAM usage in the 60~70 percentile range. This is only myself transcoding. I can only imaging what would happen if multiple users decide to watch content!

I'm just too cheap to buy another 8GB at the moment. I may just end up buying two 8GB DIMMS and selling the two 4GB DIMMS.

Edit: Typically my server sits around 30~40% useage with only a handful of dockers running

( cadvisor, deluge, DDclient, jackett, sonarr, radarr, plex, plexpy, openvpn-as, plexrequests)

However, when Plex decides it wants to record a show or two at the same time I often see the usage jump to around 80% which doesn't leave for a lot of room to do other things like transcode if someone decides to watch something. (I have plex set to transcode to "/tmp" since I don't want it writing to the disk)

Edited by MowMdown