How much RAM do you have installed in your unRAID server?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Just Me said:

Seems I'm pretty outdated with just 2GB of RAM. ?

Yes, with the newest editions of unraid you are really limiting yourself. As long as you don't want to use any add ons,  dockers or VM's, you should still be ok though. It's also possible the automatic GUI update may not work for you, but you can still manually upgrade by replacing the files on the USB stick.

Unraid and its capabilities have grown immensely in the past 5 years, it's no longer just a NAS, it's a platform for all things home server. ?

I have 16Gb installed.

Currently running 1x Win10 VM, Plex and a Teamspeak Server. Planning to run home surveillance on the server too.

Only using 40W when idle with CPU @ 37C°. Very happy with this system!

CPU: Intel I5-8400
CPU cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
MB: ASRock Z370M Pro4
Ram:  2 x 8 GB DDR4 G.Skill RGB 2400 MHz
GPU: Onboard
PSU:  Corsair HX850 (850W 80 plus gold)
HDD: 2x 4TB Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004

Cache: 256Gb Samsung P961 NVMe SSD
Case: Fractal Design Node 804

I started with 8GB as a minimal in any of my builds, then moved the components to different builds left and right and ended up with 2 servers each with 16 GB.

• Intel i7-6700K - 16GB 2x8 Corsair LPX @3200Mhz This is the file & media server with a single Windows 10 VM with a gtx 1060 6GB streaming games.
  • Ryzen  1700X - 16GB 2x8 Corsair LPX @3000Mhz This is the VM Server with 4 VMs and planning 2x16GB in the future.

I think 8GB is reasonable for any simple build for a file & media server witha couple of usefull dockers.

Edited by PSYCHOPATHiO
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use 4GB in my unRAID 1a, 2GB in my unRAID 2, and 2GB ECC in my unRAID 3.

I only use them for serving up movies, shows and other files on my network. So even 2GB is way more than enough for what I use my three unRAID setups for.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

Edited by aaronwt
I use 4GB in my unRAID 1a, 2GB in my unRAID 2, and 2GB ECC in my unRAID 3.
I only use them for serving up movies, shows and other files on my network. So even 2GB is way more than enough for what I use my three unRAID setups for.

Why do you have 3 UnRAID machines?

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A6003 med Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ZataH said:

Why do you have 3 UnRAID machines?

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A6003 med Tapatalk

Because I have content split up between them. Well the 53TB one is 90% full of BD ISOs. Then I have UHD MKVs, 3D BD ISOs, Anime, TV shows, PC backups etc on the other unRAIDs.

Plus I put these together back in 2011/2012. So most of my drives are 2TB and 3TB drives. And more recently I've installed some 4TB drives to replace the 2TB drives. But even that took me three years. I bought a bunch of 4TB drives in 2015 and never got around to installing them all. I still have a couple more left to put in my unRAID 3.

I would love to have one unRAID setup, with all internal drives of 10TB to 12TB in size. But that is cost prohibitive considering all the drives I currently  have in use. In 2009 I started with a Windows Home Server using external port multiplier cases and around thirty drives. And when I switched to using unRAID I continued using external enclosures. 

Edited by aaronwt
  • 4 weeks later...