How much RAM do you have installed in your unRAID server?

• 3 weeks later...

i have currently 32gb RAM (2x16), considering upgrading to 64gb cause i had a VM shutdown cause running out of RAM,

i assume 2 dockers here are ballooning a little .... when not restarting the server ...

what holds me back is my z370 board only supports dual channel, and when i remember correctly placing RAM in all 4 will not be helpful.

2 x Win10 VM´s, each 8 GB Ram, Rest System, Dockers, ...

still on thinking about it ;)

6 hours ago, alturismo said:

i have currently 32gb RAM (2x16), considering upgrading to 64gb cause i had a VM shutdown cause running out of RAM,

i assume 2 dockers here are ballooning a little .... when not restarting the server ...

what holds me back is my z370 board only supports dual channel, and when i remember correctly placing RAM in all 4 will not be helpful.

2 x Win10 VM´s, each 8 GB Ram, Rest System, Dockers, ...

still on thinking about it ;)

You should be able to upgrade to 64gb ram with no problem. The Z370 motherboards can address 64gb in dual channel mode just like you're running now.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

32GB.  I don't think I'll need any more than that currently.  For NAS storage, a few dockers and a few VM's.  The worst VM which is now a docker is the Crashplan one, which eats RAM.  Think I'll turn that into a schedule rather than having it watch the file system live - should help.

I have a Ryzen 1800x which is plenty of grunt.  I did it this way because the QNAP equivalent was about 6k vs this at about 2-3k $NZD

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AntaresUK said:

Question: Do people notice a difference in performance between 64GB and 128GB? I get that the extra 64GB could be used for plex transcoding but I was wondering if unraid makes good use of the additional ram for caching or something?

Depends. Most people with more than 32GB of RAM are using large chunks of it dedicated to virtual machines.

All RAM not actively engaged by other processes will be used to cache writes, and to some extent, repetitive reads. The more the merrier. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns, where that point is will depend on the specific use case.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...