How much RAM do you have installed in your unRAID server?

On 3/1/2021 at 6:13 PM, SiRMarlon said:

32GB of DDR4 3600 paired with my AMD Ryzen 7 2700x ... I don't really run any VMs so this is more then enough for my system. I mainly use my system for Plex and all the transcoding is handled by my Nvidia Quadro P2000. 

You're using your RAM as the temp transcoding directory right?

On 4/16/2021 at 11:15 AM, jlficken said:

You're using your RAM as the temp transcoding directory right?

No, this is just how much RAM the system had. All the parts on my UnRAID server are actually my old system parts since I recently upgraded my personal machine. My old UnRAID server was an Intel 3770K with 16GB of RAM. 😁 

9 hours ago, SiRMarlon said:

No, this is just how much RAM the system had. All the parts on my UnRAID server are actually my old system parts since I recently upgraded my personal machine. My old UnRAID server was an Intel 3770K with 16GB of RAM. 😁 

You should set up Plex to transcode to the RAM as it's much faster than even an SSD and doesn't wear out your SSD if you're using one.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

48gb

I use a VM on it for dev work and started with 32GB total (4x8GB), 28GB assigned to my dev VM. Ran perfectly fine for almost a year til I had to work with some MatLab stuff that REALLY needed the extra 4GB I was used to having. Luckily found a 2x16GB kit that was the same brand, speed, and timings as my original 4x8GB, so managed to end up with a matched set without needing to blow nearly $400 USD on a 4x16GB kit

16 hours ago, matty2k said:

It’s funny to look through from the beginning on May 14, 2014 up to now how the amount of RAM increased. Started with often 2GB and now sometimes above 200 or even 300.

Actually I am up with 16GB and seeing no need to have more. Using some docker (increasing) and no VM.

You are right. I have no need for the 64GB in my server. The maximum I have used was around 32GB with alot of VM's running. The normal is closer to 16GB with both PLEX and a Windows 10 VM running. 

The only reason why I have it, is that I got a good deal on a used motherboard/CPU/RAM combo, that was too good to pass. Since it was ECC RAM I could not really use it in any of my other machines. 

Edited by RecycledBits
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...