How much RAM do you have installed in your unRAID server?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ektorus said:

32GB here. My previous setup was primarily running VMs, so I needed a lot of RAM. Now I normally don't even use 25% with 15+ dockers and a single VM running.

yeah, sitting here with 32GB too, but tmpfs for things like a plex transcode folder is a good use of the RAM, reduces cache writes too :)  I made a 24GB max one

i upgraded from 32 to 64 DDR Ram.

Plex using alot of RAM here and i wanted a 3rd VM Ubuntu for xrdp remote chrome etc.

may a question, is the /tmp from host autpmatically usable as RAM disk ? so when i mount /transcode from Plex to /tmp in host should it be all in RAM or do i have to mount something special for RAM ?

27 minutes ago, alturismo said:

i upgraded from 32 to 64 DDR Ram.

Plex using alot of RAM here and i wanted a 3rd VM Ubuntu for xrdp remote chrome etc.

may a question, is the /tmp from host autpmatically usable as RAM disk ? so when i mount /transcode from Plex to /tmp in host should it be all in RAM or do i have to mount something special for RAM ?

Anything on the host that is not under /mnt or /boot is automatically in RAM.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:37 AM, itimpi said:

Anything on the host that is not under /mnt or /boot is automatically in RAM.

true, but the automatically created one uses mount defaults, including a max size of 1/2 your RAM... which, could be very important.  For example, I found that if I am DVRing and watching something I could pull down 22GB of space and I have 32GB of RAM.  If I used defaults, then I'd run out of space and my DVRs would get auto cancelled.  I mounted manually with a max size of 24GB to avoid this.

• 1 month later...