A Newbie's New Setup

Hello.  This may turn into a long post... I don't know what info will be needed so I'll include as much as possible.  To make the long story short I'm having problems getting my iMac to recognize or communicate with my new server.

First, I've looked all over for answers to these questions, including mac network forums, google, and these forums.  If the information I needed is readily available I didn't have the wherewithal to recognize it.  Apologies if necessary. 

So, I just finished building an UNRAID server box with the following components:

Supermicro MBD-C2SSEE-O LGA 775 Intel G43 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX0557E2180

CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1 GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Parity)

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB (Storage)

Seagate Barracuda 80GB (Eventual Cache)

Coolermaster Centurion 590 Case

This is only the second computer I've built, but I finally got it running.  I also have the box successfully booting UNRAID Server 4.4.2 (the free one, I'll upgrade when I get this to work).  I can log into tower, but haven't tried much else as I'm not yet linux savvy.  My 4 GB micro cruzer was formatted thorugh windows 2000 running on a MacBook through parallels. 

Anyhow, I'm trying to connect the server to my iMac, which is also my TV and HTPC.  I can't get the mac to see or communicate with the server  via a file system or a browser so I'm pretty sure I have a networking problem.

My network is setup as follows: (everything connected with ethernet cable)

-> iMac

Broadband Internet -> Airport Extreme 

-> UNRAID Server

Here is what I've tried:

1. Running //tower in a browser, page fails to load

2. Running ifcongif on box and pulling ip adresses to load in browser.

eth 0 inet addr brings up apache test page

Bcast addr fails to load

3. Plugging computer directly in to the server and trying the above again.  (I don't want to do this as both the box and the iMac will need internet access.)

4. Resetting everything, and trying both of the above again.

5. Messing with iMac network shares, DHCP addresses, manual addresses and some other network settings.

6. Cursing loudly

I don't know a lot about networking, linux or UNRAID, though I plan on learning... could really use some help getting this up and running.

Thanks,

Justin

SO...

I haven't done anything differently that I know of, but I can access the http tower page now with it's IP, which I then set up statically.  I've formatted and labeled the parity and first storage disk, set up 4 user shares on disk 1 (movies, tv, music and storage), and started an initial parity check.

I still cannot access the server via finder, I've tried to manually connect in finder via go->connect to server->smb://ip address, but have had no luck.

Ideas?

Justin

In unRAID, on the settings page, there is a setting called Workgroup.  If you can access by IP, you should be able to get to it.  My guess is that your workgroup name, which defaults to "WORKGROUP", needs to be changed.  I am not familiar with with MACs, so don't know what workgroup name you should use, but whatever it is, unRAID needs to match.

I've been messing with the workgroup name for unRAID , and other network settings on the iMac through network pref pane, network uitlity and the directory.  No dice so far.  I definitely have an osx networking issue, and if there is anyone here who is knowledgeable about such things, or someone who could point me to a good resource (past the google searches), please let me know.

Some google searching has brought up the idea of using a program called avahi to advertise to bonjour on my iMac... but setting this up seems beyond my scope at this time.

Oh, I have no problem pinging back and forth between the two machines.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks for the FAQ link!

I had read that post and taken its advice before I originally posted.  I have since been able to get //tower working.  Now I can't get os x to see the server.  I can ping back and forth, telnet in, make changes through the //tower page, but haven't been able to get finder to see the server.

I've turned on and off file sharing, I've used finder to try and connect directly, I've used network utility to scan the IP for open ports, and tried to connect specifically too a few via finder.  Most often this fails, but port 21, the ftp port just made the system hang indefinitely trying to connect. ???

Ideas?

Have you tried restarting the Mac.  Every once in a while my Mac will not play nice with the server (Finder still seems to not handle some stuff the way it should).  Anyway, I can get to my server from finder by going:

1. Go-> Connect to server

2. The putting in smb://tower or smb://IPAddress

This has always worked for me.  I don't know what might be causing it to fail for you.  Like i said, just try restarting the computer and see what happens.  If it is still not working after that post back here and we can do some more poking around.

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who posted and PM'd me with help.  One user suggested that I reinstall unRAID on the flash and start from the beginning.  I had already done so, but though I'd try again.  It stuck this time and my server is finally up and running.  I don't (and may never) know what was going wrong.  Probably user error...  I'm just happy it's working at this point.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Justin

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who posted and PM'd me with help.  One user suggested that I reinstall unRAID on the flash and start from the beginning.  I had already done so, but though I'd try again.  It stuck this time and my server is finally up and running.  I don't (and may never) know what was going wrong.  Probably user error...  I'm just happy it's working at this point.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Justin

Glad you got it working!!  Have fun with your new server.