How stable is Time Machine support?

I am a potential new user.  I'm excited to read about all that Unraid has to offer.  I have been reading various threads here on support for Macs and Time Machine.

I found the "Guide for Mac users" thread.  My question is not so much, "how can I make Time Machine work?" as that seems to be addressed (although clearly it has evolved over time).  I am more concerned with how stable and trustworthy is Time Machine on Unraid.  Some threads mentioned repeated corruptions of time machine (this may have been from an earlier stage, and using a sparse bundle.)

So could some of you speak to this?  Do you back up with Time Machine to unraid without much hand-holding?  Have you successfully restored from Time Machine?

Thanks!

Use Mavericks?

unRAID v5.0.3 onwards has been rock solid with TM.

In six months, I think I've had to manually restart TM twice because it lost track of the username...but that's about the same frequency when I had a TM drive directly connected to my Mac.

I give TM on Mavericks and unRAID 5.0.5 five stars!  *****

When you get to 'setup', there are two things to know when you setup the TM share that help stability:

1. use INCLUDE setting on the TM share to restrict your TM sparse.bundle to one disk.

2. Do NOT use a cache drive...write directly to the TM share.

• 7 months later...

Several Macs in my house backup using TimeMachine to my Unraid v5.0.5 and they seem to work ok.

I've had TimeMachine backups fail previously when going to an attached USB disk.

I suspect that historically TimeMachine (rather than TM support on Unraid) was flakey, but it seems to have stabilised now. I'm using an older iMac OS v10.10.1