unRAID iOS App - MargaritaToGo 1.3 Released

Very nice!  Quick and easy to config.  This is working fine on my LAN, but I can't seem to get it to work over WAN.  Should it work over WAN or is that feature not yet available?  If it should work, where do I configure the PORT so it can get past my firewall?

WAN features are not yet supported. There is some discussion on the previous page regarding using this app over WAN with a VPN server running on unraid. Not very secure though.

Speeding_ant stated a few posts back that this is planned for a future release.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is some discussion on the previous page regarding using this app over WAN with a VPN server running on unraid. Not very secure though.

There was discussion of using this on a WAN where the unRAID server is exposed to the internet - that's not a very secure method.

Behind a VPN? That's secure enough (at least the security is as good as your VPN's security is).

Perhaps we can look at how iStat was configured.  In that app, you have to set the Port and then your WAN IP.  Then for added security, you have to set a PIN on the webgui (from your LAN) and then put that PIN in the phone app.  Perhaps he can leverage what they did.

There is some discussion on the previous page regarding using this app over WAN with a VPN server running on unraid. Not very secure though.

There was discussion of using this on a WAN where the unRAID server is exposed to the internet - that's not a very secure method.

Behind a VPN? That's secure enough (at least the security is as good as your VPN's security is).

Thank You! The array I posted earlier is ported to the WAN which I also stated is not recommended and not safe. However it is my test box and on a separate VLAN.

Connecting to my personal VPN hardware behind my modem is as safe, if not safer than most of the public internet. About as safe as a consumer grade user can get for what this hardware does.

This thread is about Margarita and Margarita does exactly what it was designed to do and does it very well. What I did is not a feature of this app, and shouldn't be thought of that way until Ant incorporates it safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connecting to my personal VPN hardware behind my modem is as safe, if not safer than most of the public internet. About as safe as a consumer grade user can get for what this hardware does.

This thread is about Margarita and Margarita does exactly what it was designed to do and does it very well. What I did is not a feature of this app, and shouldn't be thought of that way until Ant incorporates it safely.

Agreed on all points. I also tested it on my person VPN and was successful (as I expected).

Perhaps we can look at how iStat was configured.  In that app, you have to set the Port and then your WAN IP.  Then for added security, you have to set a PIN on the webgui (from your LAN) and then put that PIN in the phone app.  Perhaps he can leverage what they did.

That's not actually the point. Opening up your unRAID server to WAN is very insecure full stop. unRAID comes with pretty much no security features as it assumes your server is only accessible internally.

Connecting to your home network over VPN and using your internal server address to connect the app is pretty safe however.

ok, that makes sense.  I just haven't setup a VPN for my home network.  The main difference between iStat and this app is that iStat could not do anything to unraid server - meaning no control, view only.  This app allows you to actually do stuff, spin up drives, etc.  So I agree that it needs to be more secure.

bottom line is this is a great app and many thanks for creating it!

Hey all,

loved the thought of this application so i brought it. I recently had an unexplained issue that shutdown the UNRAID due to the network port somehow going on the fritz. I am not sure it this app is going to help, but it is nice to quickly look at the UNRAID server.

So here are my thoughts after 2 days or so.

1. the App is very pleasing to the eye. very clean and well setup.

2. It conveys a lot of information and yes you can control the UNRAID box to limited extent.

3. It does actually notify you if there is a problem..... i think......

so here is the interesting part.

remember that unexplained outage i mentioned? the one about the network card, well more specifically the onboard NIC. Well it died, some how.

SO I bung a PCIE NIC in and blam up comes UNRAID. (i suspect that it was up all along but nothing could talk to it. As i know next to stuff all regarding this .....)

Anyway, i brought this app about the same time and i was doing a parity check on the UNRAID because of the unexpected shutdown. the app reported this plus the time remaining. cool. but then it reported errors on one of the drives and turned RED. very cool.

I had to go out to work at that stage, several hours later i came back home and about 15mins after i get home the app pings me telling me that the drive has 888 errors. even cooler!

So for all the people who have braved my ramblings up till now here is the interesting part,

UNRAID reports no errors......

-=-=-=- snip -=-=-=-

Parity is valid

Last checked on Sat Jun 21 02:33:58 2014 EST (yesterday), finding 0 errors.

Duration: unavailable (system reboot or log rotation)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

so i thought it might have just got stuck, i removed the connection in the app then shut it down. i started and reconnected it and it is still reporting one drive with 888 errros.....

So all in all the app is great, esp if the author keeps working on it. for me defiantly worth the $4.99 AU.

Chris.

Hey all,

loved the thought of this application so i brought it. I recently had an unexplained issue that shutdown the UNRAID due to the network port somehow going on the fritz. I am not sure it this app is going to help, but it is nice to quickly look at the UNRAID server.

So here are my thoughts after 2 days or so.

1. the App is very pleasing to the eye. very clean and well setup.

2. It conveys a lot of information and yes you can control the UNRAID box to limited extent.

3. It does actually notify you if there is a problem..... i think......

so here is the interesting part.

remember that unexplained outage i mentioned? the one about the network card, well more specifically the onboard NIC. Well it died, some how.

SO I bung a PCIE NIC in and blam up comes UNRAID. (i suspect that it was up all along but nothing could talk to it. As i know next to stuff all regarding this .....)

Anyway, i brought this app about the same time and i was doing a parity check on the UNRAID because of the unexpected shutdown. the app reported this plus the time remaining. cool. but then it reported errors on one of the drives and turned RED. very cool.

I had to go out to work at that stage, several hours later i came back home and about 15mins after i get home the app pings me telling me that the drive has 888 errors. even cooler!

So for all the people who have braved my ramblings up till now here is the interesting part,

UNRAID reports no errors......

-=-=-=- snip -=-=-=-

Parity is valid

Last checked on Sat Jun 21 02:33:58 2014 EST (yesterday), finding 0 errors.

Duration: unavailable (system reboot or log rotation)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

so i thought it might have just got stuck, i removed the connection in the app then shut it down. i started and reconnected it and it is still reporting one drive with 888 errros.....

So all in all the app is great, esp if the author keeps working on it. for me defiantly worth the $4.99 AU.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the review. Can I confirm if that drive actually had 888 errors? The parity sync 'errors' and the actual disk errors are different. You can confirm this by seeing if there is a red drive in the 'Disks' tab, or via the unRAID webGUI.

I plan to give even more information for each disk, by allowing you to press on a disk and the row will expand with the serial number, error counts, and whether it's spin up or down.

Either way, please PM me so I can get a bit more information.

Cheers!

Andrew

Myself and my friend here in the UK have purchased this App, well done. One question though. He said when he first setup unRAID he done a search on the App store using unRAID to see if there were any App's related to unRAID and found none. You may want to consider changing the App name to have unRAID in it if Tom doesn't mind. Just an idea, also at the moment Im copying data to my server and have no parity installed. If you click start parity sync it starts up. It maybe because I have no parity setup but It would be a good idea to have a warning and a cancel option like on shutdown or reboot server in case the button is accidentally pressed and also is there anyway you can tell if a disk is spun up or spun down. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing the option to expand the disks showing more information.

Myself and my friend here in the UK have purchased this App, well done. One question though. He said when he first setup unRAID he done a search on the App store using unRAID to see if there were any App's related to unRAID and found none. You may want to consider changing the App name to have unRAID in it if Tom doesn't mind. Just an idea, also at the moment Im copying data to my server and have no parity installed. If you click start parity sync it starts up. It maybe because I have no parity setup but It would be a good idea to have a warning and a cancel option like on shutdown or reboot server in case the button is accidentally pressed. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing the option to expand the disks showing more information.

Hi! Great find, that's a test case I didn't try. Will add that to the next release.

Searching unRAID should indeed find this app, as that is one of the keywords.

Yes it does, its the only App that comes up on the App store search under unRAID. Its good that it shows the front storage page though or you may just skip it thinking it has nothing to do with unRAID. Great work though. I can't wait to get my HBA card back from the suppliers and add more drives to unRAID as at the moment I have my drives marked red showing 100% full.

When you click reboot and shutdown I presume it stops the array first like stopping the array and reboot from the WebGui?

Perhaps on the next release you could move the disk space and temperature sliders to show the temp and percentage to the left of the bar at all times. Its sometimes hard when moving the slider to note exactly what min temp or max percentage you have it on. If you move the small bubble to always show these readings to the left of the bar you know as soon as you go into the setting what values you have setup.

Perhaps on the next release you could move the disk space and temperature sliders to show the temp and percentage to the left of the bar at all times. Its sometimes hard when moving the slider to note exactly what min temp or max percentage you have it on. If you move the small bubble to always show these readings to the left of the bar you know as soon as you go into the setting what values you have setup.

Noted - cheers!

Hi Andrew.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the review. Can I confirm if that drive actually had 888 errors? The parity sync 'errors' and the actual disk errors are different. You can confirm this by seeing if there is a red drive in the 'Disks' tab, or via the unRAID webGUI.

I plan to give even more information for each disk, by allowing you to press on a disk and the row will expand with the serial number, error counts, and whether it's spin up or down.

Either way, please PM me so I can get a bit more information.

Cheers!

Andrew

Yes i can confirm that teh drive has 888 errors. your app worka  treat!.

PM'ing you now.

Chris