A "Getting Started" wiki page

RobJ

I've added a new How To to the How-To's, called Getting Started with unRAID.  It is just a first attempt, more of a skeleton of what it could be, but I'm hoping other capable writers might like to expand it.  Once it is 'good enough', perhaps it could be stickied in some way, or we can ask Tom to make sure it is sufficiently prominent to new users.  We are still seeing users asking very basic questions, and clearly have missed all of the user documentation we have created, for example, users still unaware of the need for a syslog.  If they weren't made aware of the need, then it is not their fault when they don't provide one, and have to be asked.  This Getting Started page is one more way to try to get these fundamentals covered.

My idea was to create a single resource for new and prospective users, as to what unRAID is, and help with selecting hardware, buying or building, preparing the flash, first boot, configuring it, and then to what ever else should come next, plus provide a quick resource list, for further learning or dealing with problems.  I'd like to see it expanded with more examples of user builds, the importance of parity checks and syslogs and SMART reports, and with Brian's suggestions for testing a new build, and what ever else new users need to hear, to fill in the gaps in getting started with their unRAID installations.  I believe I remember seeing threads where Brian and others have provided very good advice to first-time users, and it would be great to see some of that included here.

I suspect some would prefer something much shorter and simpler, not sure how to satisfy that.  Perhaps it needs to start with a simple summary, then continue on in a much more detailed fashion.  And I'm VERY sure others can improve on the style and format.

Lastly, I'll point to an excellent example for inspiration, Building an unRAID Server, really great work.  In looking at it just now, I can't help but be struck by how similar, parallel the approach is, in conceptual form, although very different in implementation.  Perhaps I should have just tried to enhance it, bring it up to date with current links and resources?  I'm open to ideas, will discard the Getting Started page if there's a better way.

RobJ, you are awesome!  The wiki has grown leaps and bounds based on your huge contribution.

This is yet another example.  I think this will be a great resource for new users!

But in reading your post, I find that I agree with you here ...

We are still seeing users asking very basic questions, and clearly have missed all of the user documentation we have created, for example, users still unaware of the need for a syslog. 

But not with the conclusion you draw here ...

If they weren't made aware of the need, then it is not their fault when they don't provide one, and have to be asked. 

I think we have done a pretty good job of making the information available.  It's hard to read even a single thread and not find links to the FAQ, Troubleshooting page, and Best of the Forums page.  But there is an aspect of human nature that makes one "needy" when explosed to something new or unfamiliar and then have a problem.  I don't think we'll ever eliminate the questions.  But I do think, with rare but annoying exceptions, that new users take wiki links and explore the wiki material that is available.  Does it replace a year of experience going through 3 lose cables, a bad PSU, and memory error - no.  But users seem to be moving from newbie to self-sufficient MUCH faster than when I started.

Thanks for all you do maintaining the wiki FAQ and creating more and better wiki material.

I really like the new Getting Started page.  I think it will be the new default page to send new users to when they come asking questions.  I think it would probably be a good idea to update the "Building an unRaid Server" link.  If i get a chance i will start on it but with midterms this week i don't see it happening until the weekend at the earliest.

On the subject of making things stickies, maybe getting some "Mods" in here, and the like…  I have sent an PM off to Tomm about those things.  I am just waiting for a response.  I think the forums could benefit greatly from have a few volunteers with the power to move threads, make stickies, delete posts, and in general keep things organized.  We shall see what happens.