Can't get email working

I posted this about a year ago with no resolution and thought I would give it another try now that I have everything updated.  I'm running the latest version of unRAID and just updated unMENU.  I tried setting up the email notifications again, but they keep failing with this error:

Mail being sent to root.  With any luck, it will be forwarded properly.

/usr/sbin/sendmail: Exec format error

. . . message not sent

I have installed the ssmtp package, but it says "Installed but current version is different. Current version="expected '2.62'"

Forward "Root" email: [email protected]

email server: outgoing.verizon.net:465

Use TLS?(YES/NO): YES

Mail ID: MyEmailAddress (without the @verizon.net portion)

Mail Password: MyPassword

Mail Domain: localhost

From Line Override: YES

Re-Write Domain:

RevAlias:

I also tried using port 587 without TLS and that didn't work either.

There are actually two with the same name of ssmtp_2.64.orig.tar.bz2.  The description says that it installs both mailx and ssmtp, so I didn't think that I needed to install anything else for it to work.

Also, I'm seeing two sets of configuration options when I open the package.  For some reason, it looks like it's installed twice.  I keep trying to change variables, but it keeps putting them back to what they were before.  The mail domain section keep reverting back to the domain I own that I tried to use when I was messing around with configuration options trying to get it to work.  I'm totally confused.  :P

Good luck, it took me ages by keep puting different answers and keep trying :)

If it is any help mine is:-

Forward "Root" email: [email protected]

email server: outgoing.mailbtinternet.comt:587

Use TLS?(YES/NO): NO

Mail ID: MyEmailAddress (without the @btinternet.com portion)

Mail Password: MyPassword

Mail Domain: btinternet.com

From Line Override: YES

Re-Write Domain:

RevAlias:

Also when I first installed the mail programme it said that it could not be compiled, so I had to install the C compiler programme first before the mail programme would properly install

I gave up trying to get my home email account working, and just created a gmail account for this purpose.  Gmail is free, easy to configure to get working, and you can configure to send the emails to any address.  After taking less than a minute to get Gmail working, I regretted all the wasted time I spent trying to get my other account working.

I tried my Gmail and that won't work either.  Same error:

/usr/sbin/sendmail: Exec format error

. . . message not sent.

Foward "root" email: [email protected]

Email Server:            smtp.gmail.com:587

TLS:                          YES

Mail ID:                    MyEmail

Mail Password:          MyPassword

Mail Domain:           

From Line Override:  YES

Re-Write Domain:   

RevAliases:             

After trying gmail, I decided to try my GoDaddy email associated with my domain, but that gives me the same error.  I used the settings I found in this post were someone reported getting it working.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16582.0

EDIT:  I just tried my Hotmail account and that won't work either.  I'm thinking there is something wrong with the package or the way it is installed. 

I'm not sure if I did that correctly or not.  There are a ton of different SSMTP files on the flash drive, so I deleted them all, but then the SSMTP disappeared from the unMENU package center.  I tried clicking on the download links provided on the unMENU package page, saved them to my desktop and then over wrote the ones on the flash drive.  I rebooted the unRAID server and installed them again. 

Maybe that wasn't the right way to do things?  I tried searching the forums for an uninstall button, but couldn't find one.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I did that correctly or not.  There are a ton of different SSMTP files on the flash drive, so I deleted them all, but then the SSMTP disappeared from the unMENU package center.  I tried clicking on the download links provided on the unMENU package page, saved them to my desktop and then over wrote the ones on the flash drive.  I rebooted the unRAID server and installed them again. 

Maybe that wasn't the right way to do things?  I tried searching the forums for an uninstall button, but couldn't find one.

Thanks!

The error you are getting indicates that the program /usr/sbin/sendmail is not a natively execuitable (compiled) program.

execv cannot take a shell script as an argument.

Apparently, you did not compile and install the package.  As it indicates, you must first install the compiler, then install the ssmtp package.  It will use the compiler to install itself and it will then link the compiled program to /usr/sbin/sendmail.

what do you see when you type:

ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail

ls -l /usr/sbin/ssmtp

I see:

ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2014-05-01 21:12 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /usr/sbin/ssmtp*

ls -l /usr/sbin/ssmtp

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 24044 2004-11-08 17:29 /usr/sbin/ssmtp*

Doesnt unRAID include mailx by default now?

I've not looked in unRAID 6, bit it was never in any earlier 5.X, 4.X, 3.X version.

Does unRAID 6 also come with "/usr/sbin/sendmail" ?

If it does, it needs an entirely different configuration than ssmtp.

ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail

ls -l /usr/sbin/ssmtp

I see:

ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2014-05-01 21:12 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /usr/sbin/ssmtp*

ls -l /usr/sbin/ssmtp

This is what I get:

ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail

-rwxrwxrwx 3 root root 0 2014-06-02 12:04 /usr/sbin/sendmail

ls -l /usr/sbin/ssmtp

-rwxrwxrwx 3 root root 0 2014-06-02 12:04 /usr/sbin/ssmtp*

I've not looked in unRAID 6, bit it was never in any earlier 5.X, 4.X, 3.X version.

doing whereis commands on my v6 system mailx appears to be there but not sendmail

ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail

ls -l /usr/sbin/ssmtp

I see:

ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail

ls -l /usr/sbin/ssmtp

This is what I get:

ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail

-rwxrwxrwx 3 root root 0 2014-06-02 12:04 /usr/sbin/sendmail

ls -l /usr/sbin/ssmtp

-rwxrwxrwx 3 root root 0 2014-06-02 12:04 /usr/sbin/ssmtp*

As I said... your files are three bytes long.  No way they are compiled programs.

In my system, sendmail is a SYMBOLOC LINK to ssmtp.

In my system, ssmtp is 24044 bytes is size.  (a compiled program)

You do not have a valid sendmail program.  (or a link to a compiled program)

doing whereis commands on my v6 system mailx appears to be there but not sendmail

and that at is why you cannot send mail.

(you can link ssmtp to sendmail as I've done as these years.  It will work for basic outgoing mail and is a lot less overhead than sendmail.

As I said... your files are three bytes long.  No way they are compiled programs.

Can you tell me how to fix the problem?  Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know a lot about the inner workings of unRAID or Linux.

I tried installing "C" Compiler & development tools" and then tried to install SSMTP again, but it still doesn't work. 

The Compiler says that it is Installed, but won't be installed on reboot.  When I then try installing the SSMTP package, it indicates that it is successfully installed, but still says "Installed, but version is different.  Current version='' expected '2.64'.

"ssmtp_2.64.orig.tar.bz2 installation:

Verifying package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz.

Installing package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

# mailx (a simple mail client)

#

# Mailx is derived from Berkeley Mail and is intended provide the

# functionality of the POSIX mailx command with additional support

# for MIME, IMAP, POP3, SMTP, and S/MIME. It provides enhanced

# features for interactive use, such as caching and disconnected

# operation for IMAP, message threading, scoring, and filtering.

# It is also usable as a mail batch language, both for sending

# and receiving mail.

#

# The maintainer and primary developer of mailx is Gunnar Ritter.

Executing install script for mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz.

Package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz installed.

ssmtp_2.64.orig.tar.bz2 is now installed:"

Can you tell me how to fix the problem?  Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know a lot about the inner workings of unRAID or Linux.

I tried installing "C" Compiler & development tools" and then tried to install SSMTP again, but it still doesn't work. 

The Compiler says that it is Installed, but won't be installed on reboot.  When I then try installing the SSMTP package, it indicates that it is successfully installed, but still says "Installed, but version is different.  Current version='' expected '2.64'.

"ssmtp_2.64.orig.tar.bz2 installation:

Verifying package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz.

Installing package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

# mailx (a simple mail client)

#

# Mailx is derived from Berkeley Mail and is intended provide the

# functionality of the POSIX mailx command with additional support

# for MIME, IMAP, POP3, SMTP, and S/MIME. It provides enhanced

# features for interactive use, such as caching and disconnected

# operation for IMAP, message threading, scoring, and filtering.

# It is also usable as a mail batch language, both for sending

# and receiving mail.

#

# The maintainer and primary developer of mailx is Gunnar Ritter.

Executing install script for mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz.

Package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz installed.

ssmtp_2.64.orig.tar.bz2 is now installed:"

not sure how you created the ssmtp file and sendmail file you currently have, but the unMENU package manager is pretty dumb.  When it sees a /usr/sbin/ssmtp file, it is assuming it is already installed. It has no clue the file is only a few bytes long and not a valid execuitable.

I'd just remove the two tiny files, and then unMENU's package manager will not see ssmtp as "already installed" and it should let you install it once more.

To remove the two files type:

rm /usr/sbin/ssmtp

rm /usr/sbin/sendmail

not sure how you created the ssmtp file and sendmail file you currently have, but the unMENU package manager is pretty dumb.  When it sees a /usr/sbin/ssmtp file, it is assuming it is already installed. It has no clue the file is only a few bytes long and not a valid execuitable.

I'd just remove the two tiny files, and then unMENU's package manager will not see ssmtp as "already installed" and it should let you install it once more.

rm /usr/sbin/ssmtp

rm /usr/sbin/sendmail

Unfortunately, that didn't work.  I ran your commands, but unMENU still said "Installed, but version is different.  Current version='' expected '2.64'.  I tried installation anyway, and it said it was installed, but I still got the /usr/sbin/sendmail: Exec format error.

So I tried running your commands again, and then ran the ones from before that check the length.  When I did that, it said that it couldn't find /usr/sbin/ssmtp & /usr/sbin/sendmail, so it looks like they were deleted.  I then installed SSMTP again and ran the size commands, but they both come back 0. 

Thanks for your help!

rm /usr/sbin/ssmtp

rm /usr/sbin/sendmail

Unfortunately, that didn't work.  I ran your commands, but unMENU still said "Installed, but version is different.  Current version='' expected '2.64'.  I tried installation anyway, and it said it was installed, but I still got the /usr/sbin/sendmail: Exec format error.

So I tried running your commands again, and then ran the ones from before that check the length.  When I did that, it said that it couldn't find /usr/sbin/ssmtp & /usr/sbin/sendmail, so it looks like they were deleted.  I then installed SSMTP again and ran the size commands, but they both come back 0. 

Thanks for your help!

I was wrong about which file it looks for to determine if the mail-ssmtp package had been installed.  Looking in the .conf file, you can see it looks for:

/usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

If you remove that file, it should let you install it anew.

I was wrong about which file it looks for to determine if the mail-ssmtp package had been installed.  Looking in the .conf file, you can see it looks for:

/usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

If you remove that file, it should let you install it anew.

I opened a telnet session, logged in as root and typed:

rm /usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

The message I received was:

rm: cannot remove '/usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf;: No such file or directory

Even though it said it didn't find the file, unMENU said that it wasn't installed.  I installed it again, and received the same "Installed, but version is different.  Current version='' expected '2.64'"  When I try and send a test email, I still get the same error (/usr/bin/sendmail: Exec format error . . . message not sent).

The file sizes are also listed as 0 bytes still.