How to geed good peed when browsing shares

I have several shares for DVD Bluray and MKVs setup on my unraid 5.04 server. Whenever I open a share it takes close to a minute or 2 before I get a listing of folders and files in the specific share. This happens on my wireless Win 7 laptop as well as my wired mediaplayer. Does it take this long for drives to spin up? Or is there something wrong. Are there ways to improve this? Any tips and hints are welcomed.

I have several shares for DVD Bluray and MKVs setup on my unraid 5.04 server. Whenever I open a share it takes close to a minute or 2 before I get a listing of folders and files in the specific share. This happens on my wireless Win 7 laptop as well as my wired mediaplayer. Does it take this long for drives to spin up? Or is there something wrong. Are there ways to improve this? Any tips and hints are welcomed.

This has been known to happen as Windows Explorer links each file to 'the' program associated with the file's extension so that the associated program can be used to open the file.  It becomes particularly noticeable as the number of files increases.  I also believe that unRAID does not spin all of the disks up when Explorer first opens up the share but rather spins up each disk as its contents are accessed.  This might also account for some of the delay that you are seeing.