VSFTPD keeps reverting to default

I'm trying to setup VSFTPD and whenever I reboot my unRAID server to have the changes apply, the vsftpd.conf file inside /etc/ reverts back to original.

I'm a unix n00b.

Any ideas? Or know of a command to restart the vsftpd service to apply the new settings I changed?

I've googled commands but none work on unRAID.

Unraid boots and installs everything into the RAM of your computer. So /etc/vsftpd.conf is in RAM too. On reboot all changes will be lost. You have to create a vsftpd.conf with your changes on your flash drive and add a line to your go file, that replaces the /etc/vsftpd.conf with your version on the flash. This will then happen on every reboot and restore your settings.

• 5 years later...
On 6/7/2014 at 1:41 PM, SlrG said:

Unraid boots and installs everything into the RAM of your computer. So /etc/vsftpd.conf is in RAM too. On reboot all changes will be lost. You have to create a vsftpd.conf with your changes on your flash drive and add a line to your go file, that replaces the /etc/vsftpd.conf with your version on the flash. This will then happen on every reboot and restore your settings.

Sorry to bring up a very old post. But I did not find anything else. You can attach the code you recommended there under the go file?

• 4 weeks later...

@abeksis

Sorry for the delayed answer. I receive no more direct notifications of the thread it seems. First you copy your modified vsftpd.conf from /etc/ to a folder of your flash drive. You could use mc (midnight commander) in the console or a direct command could be:

cp /etc/vsftpd.conf /boot/config/vsftpd.conf

Afterwards you edit your go file on the flash. In the console you can use nano.

nano /boot/config/go

There you add a line, that will copy the file back from the flash each time your server starts.

cp -f /boot/config/vsftpd.conf /etc/

Afterwards you need to remember to copy the vsftpd.conf to the flash each time you make changes to it, or they will be lost after a reboot, as the file on the flash is still unchanged. Alternatively make the changes directly on the flash and copy the file from there to /etc or reboot to activate them.

Edited by SlrG
typo