unRAID 6 Beta 6: Docker Quick-Start Guide

Possibly dumb question, but is there any reason I can't use -v to pass /mnt/user as /mnt/user to the docker container like this?

docker run -d -h hostname --name="sickbeard" -v /mnt/path/to/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/mnt/user -p hostport:8080 -p hostport:9090 eschultz/docker-sickbeard

Don't want to have to reconfigure sickbeard if I don't need to

That's basically exactly what I did for Plex

Did your plex pick up the media in that folder? During setup i can not get past the root folder level and plex will not scan media in any of the folder i mount /mnt/user/Movies

For anyone else who might ask, I tried it and it worked so far so good. Also got plex up and running using -v /mnt/user:/data

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Each part in red will need to be modified for your installation.

Some folks are not following the instructions correctly.  From the guide:

-v /mnt/path/to/appdata/appname:/config

For our prepared Dockerfiles, we store application data (like .conf files) outside of the container itself.  The path for this can be anything on the host.  We recommend installing appdata to either a single disk on your array, or for best performance, to non-array partition (or a cache drive).  The red bolded text represents the ACTUAL PATH to the config data from the unRAID server host's perspective.  The /config part after the colon specifies the virtual access path from within the application container that is used to access that host path (DO NOT CHANGE THIS PART).  I know this can be confusing, but it works ;-).

-v /mnt/path/to/userdata:/data

You can pass multiple paths here if you have different folder mount points and you can even change the "/data" part to an alternative name if you desire (just don't use a common root folder name for Linux like /etc or /bin ;-).  When using an application hosted in a container, you may have to specify a path to either a download location or a media content storage location.  When browsing, the root folder in the application will contain a /data folder that really is a pass through to the path you specify to the left of the colon in the example syntax.  This allows easy and controllable access to the host storage from within a container.

So for the /config folder and the /data folder, you really should only modify the paths to the left of the colon in the command.  The /config and /data part can be left along.  Then when browsing inside say plex for a folder path to specify your content, you would really specify /data and browse inside from there.  That would map to your host path that you put in with the command.

I'm getting ready to try my first docker install, and am going to install sabnzbd.  The directions have this template...

docker run -d --name="appname" -h hostname -v /path/to/appdata/appname:/config -v /path/to/userdata:/data -p hostport:appport eschultz/appname

The details below say this...

-p hostport:appport

This switch allows you to specify how port mapping should work between container and host.  hostport should be replaced with a number representing the port on the host you want to pass traffic through to from the application.  appport is the port that the application exposes inside its container to the host.  You can change the first number, but changing the second number will not work if using pre-built Docker containers such as ours.  When we change the first number, but not the second, it's transparent to the application and the host. 

Then the example/template below has this...

docker run -d -h hostname --name="sabnzbd" -v /mnt/path/to/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/path/to/userdata:/data -p hostport:8080 -p hostport:9090 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

So, I'm a bit confused.  I would have expected to see -p 8080:9090, based on the first example given, or perhaps even -p hostport:8080 -p appport:9090, but it shows hostport listed with 2 different numbers.  None of the other examples have this number listed twice, so perhaps this second one is incorrectly added; I'm just not sure.

Since I'm still not entirely clear on what these 2 numbers mean, and since the directions say not to change the second number, and since I had TONS of permissions issues when I first installed my ArchVM, I just want to be really clear on what to do before I do anything.

Here is the run command as I modified it for my situation.  Can someone in the know take a look and let me know if it seems 'right' before I run it?

docker run -d -h media --name="sabnzbd" -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/cache/userdata:/data -p hostport:9992 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

I just removed the second instance of hostport, but it's not clear this is good, especially considering this "but changing the second number will not work if using pre-built Docker containers such as ours."

Please, and thanks!

I'm getting ready to try my first docker install, and am going to install sabnzbd.  The directions have this template...

docker run -d --name="appname" -h hostname -v /path/to/appdata/appname:/config -v /path/to/userdata:/data -p hostport:appport eschultz/appname

The details below say this...

-p hostport:appport

This switch allows you to specify how port mapping should work between container and host.  hostport should be replaced with a number representing the port on the host you want to pass traffic through to from the application.  appport is the port that the application exposes inside its container to the host.  You can change the first number, but changing the second number will not work if using pre-built Docker containers such as ours.  When we change the first number, but not the second, it's transparent to the application and the host. 

Then the example/template below has this...

docker run -d -h hostname --name="sabnzbd" -v /mnt/path/to/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/path/to/userdata:/data -p hostport:8080 -p hostport:9090 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

So, I'm a bit confused.  I would have expected to see -p 8080:9090, based on the first example given, or perhaps even -p hostport:8080 -p appport:9090, but it shows hostport listed with 2 different numbers.  None of the other examples have this number listed twice, so perhaps this second one is incorrectly added; I'm just not sure.

Since I'm still not entirely clear on what these 2 numbers mean, and since the directions say not to change the second number, and since I had TONS of permissions issues when I first installed my ArchVM, I just want to be really clear on what to do before I do anything.

Here is the run command as I modified it for my situation.  Can someone in the know take a look and let me know if it seems 'right' before I run it?

docker run -d -h media --name="sabnzbd" -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/cache/userdata:/data -p hostport:9992 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

I just removed the second instance of hostport, but it's not clear this is good, especially considering this "but changing the second number will not work if using pre-built Docker containers such as ours."

Please, and thanks!

Ok, think of it like this:

for ANY switch statement (something with a '-' in it like '-v' or '-p'), everything after the right half of the : is literal.  Do not change it.  Only change the path on the left half of the :

Example:

• I have a path to my movies/tv shows at /mnt/user/media
  • I want to mount that path for access from within my Docker container

-v /mnt/user/media:/data

• I have a path to my plex library, where I store all my "metadata" for boxart, etc. at /mnt/cache/appdata/plex
  • I want to mount that path for access from within my Docker container

-v /mnt/cache/appdata/plex:/config

NOTE:  THIS IS SPECIFIC TO THE ESCHULTZ CONTAINERS WE PROVIDED HERE!  THAT IS HOW WE SET THEM UP FOR EASE OF USE!

You can see the dockerfile that is used for the container image build for plex, for example, here:

https://github.com/eschultz/docker-plex/blob/master/Dockerfile

that makes sense, but why does the example command show this...

there are 2 -p hostport: entries.  Why 2?  The other examples don't have 2?  Is this just a mistake, and only 1 is needed, or is the second one there for some reason with sab, but not necessary with the other programs that have examples?

Again, I'm just being extra cautious.  I gave my intended command, specific to my machine, does it look correct?

that makes sense, but why does the example command show this...

there are 2 -p hostport: entries.  Why 2?  The other examples don't have 2?  Is this just a mistake, and only 1 is needed, or is the second one there for some reason with sab, but not necessary with the other programs that have examples?

Again, I'm just being extra cautious.  I gave my intended command, specific to my machine, does it look correct?

Ah, fair question.  Another exception.  The way this container gets installed I think is setup to expose both of those ports from guest to host as an option.  You can review Eric's Dockerfile for that here:  https://github.com/eschultz/docker-sabnzbd/blob/master/Dockerfile

See the bolded part below:

FROM ubuntu:14.04

MAINTAINER Eric Schultz <[email protected]>

ENV DEBIAN_FRONTEND noninteractive

RUN locale-gen en_US en_US.UTF-8

RUN echo "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty multiverse" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

RUN apt-get update -q

RUN apt-get install -qy --force-yes sabnzbdplus sabnzbdplus-theme-classic sabnzbdplus-theme-mobile sabnzbdplus-theme-plush par2 python-yenc unrar unzip

VOLUME /config

VOLUME /data

EXPOSE 8080 9090

ENTRYPOINT ["/usr/bin/sabnzbdplus"]

CMD ["--config-file", "/config", "--server", ":8080"]

If you don't need the second port (9090), you don't need pass it the second -p statement.  No traffic will be allowed through between guest and host that way.

Ah, okay, that makes sense now, thanks!

I think SAB offers to allow https connections on port 9090 as an option, so I guess I'd need to allow that port, if I want to allow https access.  I never have, but will probably open the port anyway, just in case I decide to try that one day.

Thanks again for all your help, especially in the evenings.

No, you should replace the /mnt/cache/userdata part with whatever path you have your data located.  If you want your entire user shares to be accessible, put /mnt/user there.

For the hostport:9992, that is incorrect as well.  The container ports are fixed, but that doesn't matter because you change the text of "hostport" to any port you want to use on your host.  I would assume for you, your command could look something like this:

docker run -d -h media --name="sabnzbd" -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/data -p 9992:8080 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

I think SAB offers to allow https connections on port 9090 as an option, so I guess I'd need to allow that port, if I want to allow https access.  I never have, but will probably open the port anyway, just in case I decide to try that one day.

You're welcome ;-).  I want to encourage people to experiment with Docker and the idea of Container-based Virtualization over Machine-based Virtualization for simplified installation, customization, and management while also giving plugin authors a way to still create interface controls that modify their configuration files through a file path on the host (such as /mnt/cache/appdata/appname).  It's a complex idea when you try to sort through all the technology, but when you see it working, it blows your mind...

I would assume for you, your command could look something like this:

docker run -d -h media --name="sabnzbd" -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/data -p 9992:8080 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

Great, that also makes sense.  I will also assume that if I want to open port 9090, as per the example, i would change the above to this...

docker run -d -h media --name="sabnzbd" -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/data -p 9992:8080 -p 9992:9090 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

does that seem right?

You're welcome ;-).  I want to encourage people to experiment with Docker and the idea of Container-based Virtualization over Machine-based Virtualization for simplified installation, customization, and management while also giving plugin authors a way to still create interface controls that modify their configuration files through a file path on the host (such as /mnt/cache/appdata/appname).  It's a complex idea when you try to sort through all the technology, but when you see it working, it blows your mind...

it is 'complicated' at first, but I'm sure we'll learn.  I also like the idea of containers vs. machines, for simplification, portability, and resource management.

I knew NOTHING about virtualization about 2 months ago, so this is ALL new to me, but so far, I feel like I'm able to tread water at least, and I enjoy learning, so I'm having a good, if sometimes frustrating, time with all this.

thanks again.

I would assume for you, your command could look something like this:

Great, that also makes sense.  I will also assume that if I want to open port 9090, as per the example, i would change the above to this...

docker run -d -h media --name="sabnzbd" -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/data -p 9992:8080 -p 9992:9090 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

does that seem right?

Yup.  Looks good.  I think that will forward all traffic from EITHER of those ports to the same port on the host, but I honestly haven't tried doing that yet.  Let me know if it works ;-).

it is 'complicated' at first, but I'm sure we'll learn.  I also like the idea of containers vs. machines, for simplification, portability, and resource management.

I knew NOTHING about virtualization about 2 months ago, so this is ALL new to me, but so far, I feel like I'm able to tread water at least, and I enjoy learning, so I'm having a good, if sometimes frustrating, time with all this.

thanks again.

You are welcome!

how to I stop the docker daemon from the command line?

I forgot it was running and tried to stop the array, and now it's non-responsive.  I think if I can kill, I can regain access to the GUI, but I'm not sure.

Stopping the array does stop docker.  You can confirm that docker is stopped by typing docker ps in command line.  You should get a response that the service isn't running.

/etc/rc.d/rc.docker stop is the command to stop the docker service from command line.

Okay, then something else went wrong.  the GUI kept showing messages about stopping something along the bottom when I stopped the array, and I assumed it was because docker was running.  I then clicked the extension tab to try to stop it, and the GUI has never returned.

docker ps does say it's not running, so that's not the problem.

I have command line access, so i'll just restart the array from putty.

I wanted to restart the array because I just realized that after changing the format type of my cache, then moving everything back, then installing docker, none of my cache only directories/shares is showing in the shares page on the GUI.

Hopefully a reboot fixes me up again  ???

Ummmm... wow everyone is just way ahead of me.  How do I convert my cache drive to btrfs so I can even fire docker up?

Getting this error:

Jun 19 19:56:36 Tower php: /etc/rc.d/rc.docker start

Jun 19 19:56:36 Tower php: ERROR: Docker install path (/mnt/cache/docker) must be off a btrfs device

Okay, then something else went wrong.  the GUI kept showing messages about stopping something along the bottom when I stopped the array, and I assumed it was because docker was running.  I then clicked the extension tab to try to stop it, and the GUI has never returned.

I wanted to restart the array because I just realized that after changing the format type of my cache, then moving everything back, then installing docker, none of my cache only directories/shares is showing in the shares page on the GUI.

Were you logged in via SSH and navigated to a path like /mnt/cache or something?  If you're logged in using root through ssh and your in a directory on the array, it'll not umount the disks until you back out of that path or exit the SSH session.

Were you logged in via SSH and navigated to a path like /mnt/cache or something?  If you're logged in using root through ssh and your in a directory on the array, it'll not umount the disks until you back out of that path or exit the SSH session.

I never knew that!!  Yes, I was actually connected via ssh to /mnt/cache (good guess!)

Okay, one final question before running the command.

in my config, I have

-v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config

I assume this will create the directory appdata on the cache drive.  I'd rather not have another directory/subfolder if not necessary, so is there any reason not to change this to

-v /mnt/cache/docker/sabnzbd:/config
so that it puts the config in the docker folder, which I have to have anyway?

I never knew that!!  Yes, I was actually connected via ssh to /mnt/cache (good guess!)

The camera I have installed is working pretty good ;-)

Okay, one final question before running the command.

in my config, I have

-v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config

I assume this will create the directory appdata on the cache drive.  I'd rather not have another directory/subfolder if not necessary, so is there any reason not to change this to

-v /mnt/cache/docker/sabnzbd:/config
so that it puts the config in the docker folder, which I have to have anyway?

Hmm, I don't think that's a good idea.  I would keep your app data separate from your container data separate from your user data.  While this may "work", it won't be supported.  Leave the docker directory alone and keep your appdata somewhere else ;-).

We'll make this easier to hide / clean up in a future release.

Ummmm... wow everyone is just way ahead of me.  How do I convert my cache drive to btrfs so I can even fire docker up?

Getting this error:

Jun 19 19:56:36 Tower php: /etc/rc.d/rc.docker start

Jun 19 19:56:36 Tower php: ERROR: Docker install path (/mnt/cache/docker) must be off a btrfs device

This thread has the full overview, at least read the first half of the first post for some important information, and screenshots of the steps.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33806.0

Here is a link to a post I just made outlining the exact steps I took to do this process...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33806.msg312677#msg312677

have fun

Thanks Justin!

No problem, just trying to repay the help I've received in the past.

does that seem right?

Yup.  Looks good.  I think that will forward all traffic from EITHER of those ports to the same port on the host, but I honestly haven't tried doing that yet.  Let me know if it works ;-).

It didn't seem to quite work, but I have a guess as to why.  Here's what happened...

root@media:~# docker run -d --name="sabnzbd" -h media -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/data -p 9992:8080 -p 9992:9090 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd
Unable to find image 'eschultz/docker-sabnzbd' locally
Pulling repository eschultz/docker-sabnzbd
13c1d3856c17: Download complete
511136ea3c5a: Download complete
e465fff03bce: Download complete
23f361102fae: Download complete
9db365ecbcbb: Download complete
ad892dd21d60: Download complete
eb44461d2d4c: Download complete
1c3336d191a9: Download complete
1908386b990f: Download complete
0f8c5bbabce9: Download complete
3489622e48f9: Download complete
8f0b32d15744: Download complete
05c0a7ae5bde: Download complete
876c9b114cf4: Download complete
98d405390f12: Download complete
a86f2be06f07: Download complete
d67f828c4171fbb396fce603421918e61e899e6a55cc191ab65623a3dad2807f
2014/06/19 22:31:01 Error: Cannot start container d67f828c4171fbb396fce603421918e61e899e6a55cc191ab65623a3dad2807f: port has already been allocated

I think it's telling me I can't do -p 9992:9090, since I already assigned port 9992 to 8080.  I suspect I needed to use something like this instead...

docker run -d --name="sabnzbd" -h media -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/data -p 9992:8080 -p 9999:9090 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

I'm guessing I can't just re-run this now that I've already installed, so I'm not sure how to change the second port number (assuming that's what the message is actually telling me).

I'm guessing it will run fine, but wanted to report my findings before I move on.

for anyone following along, I 'fixed' it :)

trying to just re-run the command didn't work (not surprisingly)

root@media:~# docker run -d --name="sabnzbd" -h media -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/data -p 9992:8080 -p 9999:9090 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd
2014/06/19 22:43:29 Error: Conflict, The name sabnzbd is already assigned to d67f828c4171. You have to delete (or rename) that container to be able to assign sabnzbd to a container again.

Trying to just run it manually also didn't work...

root@media:~# docker start sabnzbd
Error: Cannot start container sabnzbd: port has already been allocated
2014/06/19 22:44:03 Error: failed to start one or more containers

The docker online tutorial was very helpful though...

root@media:~# docker rm sabnzbd
sabnzbd

Now, I ran my amended command, and this time it worked!

root@media:~# docker run -d --name="sabnzbd" -h media -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd:/config -v /mnt/user:/data -p 9992:8080 -p 9999:9090 eschultz/docker-sabnzbd
4009d2a0187d38aab6d7ccf34dc45af3f3f4f687a9002f8b8338d6cc8adfa3fd
root@media:~# docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                            COMMAND                CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                                            NAMES
4009d2a0187d        eschultz/docker-sabnzbd:latest   /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus   16 seconds ago      Up 15 seconds       0.0.0.0:9992->8080/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9999->9090/tcp   sabnzbd

I had to change my browser bookmark, since it was previously pointing to the VM IP address.  Once I changed it to hostname:9992, the wizard came up instantly!

Now, I just need to see if I can copy my old config to the new location to see if it works, then I'm done with SAB.

for anyone following along, I 'fixed' it :)

trying to just re-run the command didn't work (not surprisingly)

2014/06/19 22:43:29 Error: Conflict, The name sabnzbd is already assigned to d67f828c4171. You have to delete (or rename) that container to be able to assign sabnzbd to a container again.

Trying to just run it manually also didn't work...

root@media:~# docker start sabnzbd
Error: Cannot start container sabnzbd: port has already been allocated
2014/06/19 22:44:03 Error: failed to start one or more containers

The docker online tutorial was very helpful though...

root@media:~# docker rm sabnzbd
sabnzbd

Now, I ran my amended command, and this time it worked!

4009d2a0187d38aab6d7ccf34dc45af3f3f4f687a9002f8b8338d6cc8adfa3fd
root@media:~# docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                            COMMAND                CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                                            NAMES
4009d2a0187d        eschultz/docker-sabnzbd:latest   /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus   16 seconds ago      Up 15 seconds       0.0.0.0:9992->8080/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9999->9090/tcp   sabnzbd

I had to change my browser bookmark, since it was previously pointing to the VM IP address.  Once I changed it to hostname:9992, the wizard came up instantly!

Now, I just need to see if I can copy my old config to the new location to see if it works, then I'm done with SAB.

OK, now one thing I suggest.  edit the .INI or .conf file from your old config for SABnzbd or whatever plugin. manually via nano if you have to.

there should be a port setting in there.  change it to the port for the relevant eschultz docker file.  so for SABnzbd, its 8080 and 9090 for SSL.  make sense.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk