unRAID 6 Beta 6: Docker Quick-Start Guide

It's pretty easy to make a docker build with docker.com, right now I'm trying to build an docker with sabnzbd multithreaded  for ubuntu latest (14.04), when succeeded, I will try with other program like nzbdrone and spotweb and I will publish here the repository, thanks jonp and unraid staff for "showing us the way" :-)

ps: what's needed to build a docker image:

-a git account

-a docker account

-a vm with the system to test commands

-a dockerfile

-time ....

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

-a git account

-a docker account

-a dockerfile

-time ....

It is worth pointing out here that if you run Windows then installing the Docker Windows client will give you a VM (using Virtualbox) already running docker to create/test containers.  Users may be happier doing the initial work away from their unRAID system and this allows for that in a risk-free manner.

It's pretty easy to make a docker build with docker.com, right now I'm trying to build an docker with sabnzbd multithreaded  for ubuntu latest (14.04), when succeeded, I will try with other program like nzbdrone and spotweb and I will publish here the repository, thanks jonp and unraid staff for "showing us the way" :-)

-a git account

-a docker account

-a dockerfile

-time ....

tadaaaaaa!

first image build with sabnzbd with multithread support!!!

available at sensei73/docker-sabnzbd

next will be soptweb, stay tuned!

Would you mind maybe starting a new thread on this for us?  I have a docker account now, but don't yet have a git account.  I want to build a container for makeMVK, and found a script that people are using to successfully automate the building of the latest version in Linux, but I'm not a programmer, and have never used docker or git before, so it's still a bit overwhelming right now.  If you could walk me (us) thru the process of building a container as you described above, I think lots of people would appreciate it.

I'll probably try to build a SickRage container first, since it doesn't require compiling/building the program, just a simple download.

Anyway, I'm going to try your new SAB build in a bit, so that's for that!!

You guys can build your own images from Dockerfiles local on your system.

Example:  build -t plex .

The dot at the end signifies there is a Dockerfile in the directory your already navigated within via console.  Just watch your images...  Its easy to blow up your local repo with tons of images from testing.  There are some "quick scripts" out there for cleaning up images and containers when you have sprawl.  Happy coding!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is the SABnzbd container build with user being ROOT?  All my downloads are fighting with me when I try to move them with another program.  If I run the newperms script on them, they are fine.  I have SAB setup to change permissions to 775, but that doesn't affect the user, which I think is the problem.  I only bring it up so that if necessary, the image can be changed before too many more people install it ;)

Screenshot attached.

permissions.jpg.852f8cdf455be8d3d72f0469b542d6c6.jpg

Is there a way to update these docker files.  I just got sickbeard from eschultz up and running but when i try to update to the latest sickbeard it crashes.

This should work. I did the same thing last night and it updated fine. The only problem is when Sickbeard tries to restart it won't do it automatically. You need to run 'docker start sickbeard' from Putty to restart it.

I got update failed, but it still shows alpha development and no version but when i did a manual check it tells no update is needed

Strange. As soon as I started sickbeard the first time it told me there were 6 new commits. I just clicked on update and away it went. Not sure why it failed for you.

Maybe try removing the container and reinstall it.

You could try removing the image entirely.

docker stop sickbeard

docker rm sickbeard

docker rm eschultz/docker-sickbeard

(probably good to reboot unRAID at this time, not sure if it's necessary)

then start over with installation from scratch.

I use the recommended  -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sickbeard:/config

I am currently using Docker for plexmediaserver, install went smooth, took me awhile to figure out the commands to place into the terminal. I goofed up twice third time was a charm. I did have the unraid emhttp crash twice on me. It took a manual shutdown -r now command both times to get it back up and running. Just to test, I deleted my only plugin which is the APC daemon and changed my default boot into regular unraid without xen option. So far 5 hours no emhttp crashes. I think I am going to like Docker. I am hoping Limetech builds in support for APC shutdown and notifications on failing drives via email. I will wait till there is better support for KVM until I try and get a windows VM running with graphics pass through to replace the desktop computer. Users really like point and click with no terminal interaction! Great progress LimeTech and Team!

Guys, are you getting different results with the same container?

Its sure possible because of the way git is used blindly against head.

I seem to be saying this on almost every docker thread but you should not blindly git clone in a docker file you are distributing as it means people will have different containers.

Guys, are you getting different results with the same container?

Its sure possible because of the way git is used blindly against head.

I seem to be saying this on almost every docker thread but you should not blindly git clone in a docker file you are distributing as it means people will have different containers.

Which you then have to ask... Which container did you install? What base OS is it using? Which version of Fedora, Ubuntu, etc? Which version of Sickbeard? CouchPotato? Etc.

This is why I suggested the following for your general unRAID user (non power Linux user):

unRAID would be wise to create and maintain their own "official" unRAID "Plugin" / Docker Containers and keep them updated. Otherwise, we duplicate the plugin problem all over again. Last time I looked, there were 10+ Sickbeard type containers all running various versions of Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. and various versions of Sickbeard.

If I was unRAID I wouldn't leave it to others to cause major confusion, problems, support issues (70% of unRAID Support Issues are due to Plugins) and maintain either an all in one or create 10 or so Containers that 80% of unRAID customers run (Sickbeard, Couchpotato, etc.).

i have been using eschultz/docker

I did a complete restart again, and this time im not updating.

just a question, I used to sab/sick/couch on a windows machine and used a sabtosickbeard.exe script to move my completed downloads, is there a way to get a script working in this container for sickbeard

I'm also having problems with read and write permissions

I think tomorrow we'll have a new image that has the permissions fixed (changed from root to nobody).

As for the sabtosicbeard script, I have not been able to find the autoProcessTV folder in the container, so I ended up copying the folder from my previous installation to the cache/appdata/sabnzbd folder, then pointed SAB to that location, which gives you the script for use in SAB.

I've copied the folder to this post, in case you can't find your copy.  if you use mine, be sure to edit the autoProcessTV.cfg file to point to the correct port for your own sickbeard installation.

autoProcessTV.zip