unRAID 6 Beta 6: Docker Quick-Start Guide

Would it be possible to set up a VPN connection (OpenVPN to something like PrivateInternetAccess) for certain (or all) containers to use? Ideally I'd like to say "this container and that container should go through VPN connection, whilst the rest go through the normal connection", but all containers going through the VPN would be good too.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I'm considering moving to docker from an esxi setup on rather old hardware but I have a diverse assortment of VMs running different OSes, luckily none of them Windows.. Namely, I have a pfsense VM on a dual nic card - not sure what kind of router alternatives exist in a dockerized environment? Another thing that worries me is I'm running Cyperpower's powerpanel appliance to manage the UPS via usb which is capable of sending a shutdown command to ESXi. So,

1) How are you guys handling UPS management, doing it with apcupsd native to unRAID? Not sure if apcupsd supports cyberpower now...

2) Is it possible to run docker along side Xen in beta6 or are they mutually exclusive?

3) I'd like to containerize gunicorn/postgresql and as such would like to have a backup strategy in place for the postgresql database, what's the easiest way to achieve this? Script to automate the backup of the whole container, possible?

Namely, I have a pfsense VM on a dual nic card - not sure what kind of router alternatives exist in a dockerized environment?

You can run several NICs but I am not sure if the unRAID webgui supports it. You could do some "magic" via go script to set up the bridges for those NICs.

2) Is it possible to run docker along side Xen in beta6 or are they mutually exclusive?

Yes you can run Docker along with Xen. You would need to tweak Xen to use another NIC / bridge. You will need a VM for pfsense, docker isn't possible.

You are going to have to hack the crap out of unRAID to accommodate what you are doing in ESXi due to the current WebGUI, root ram file system and the way they have set up Xen on it. Unless you are a Linux Pro... You are going to be biting off more than you can chew.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I haven't seen it.

Does a dockerized application have direct access to HW resources?

I am wondering about this to see if it was possible to dockerize TVHeadend.

As most of us know, the unRAID kernel doesn't include those modules and drivers what are required to run TVHeadend so unRAID can actually be used as a TV server. Currently the only way to get around this is to recompile the kernel with the necessary modules included.

So is Docker making this easier or it doesn't have access to the HW?

Just wanted to make sure that the limetech gurus are aware of a potential issue between docker and their new permissions script. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=34308.0

If you run the new permissions script it will break your docker containers, they will not work until you remove the containers and images and re-add them... at least that's what happened to my setup and a few others.

Is/Are there plans for the new permissions script to be modified to co-exist with docker containers? - or at least an additional warning on the new permissions script page stating that the running new permissions will break docker containers until they are removed and added again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Frist of all, thanks for this docker method. I like it and it seems more smooth (faster) than the plugin method.

I have two questions though:

1. it seems that CouchPotato will fail get stuck <not reachable> after an auto upgrade.

2. bigger issue: all these apps (couch potato, sick beard and sabnzbd) runs as root user. So all the files they created have root only permission

=> when couch potato or sick beard move the files to their final destinations, they are all mark with root permission

=> is there a way to configure these apps to run and use non-root user id so the file can be access by other user accounts?

see permission example of one of the files after move by couch potato installed via docker method:

drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root        184 Sep  5 07:16    Title1

Compare to the old plugin method that use non-root users:

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users      184 Apr 10  Title2

thx

• 2 weeks later...

Frist of all, thanks for this docker method. I like it and it seems more smooth (faster) than the plugin method.

I have two questions though:

1. it seems that CouchPotato will fail get stuck <not reachable> after an auto upgrade.

2. bigger issue: all these apps (couch potato, sick beard and sabnzbd) runs as root user. So all the files they created have root only permission

=> when couch potato or sick beard move the files to their final destinations, they are all mark with root permission

=> is there a way to configure these apps to run and use non-root user id so the file can be access by other user accounts?

see permission example of one of the files after move by couch potato installed via docker method:

drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root        184 Sep  5 07:16    Title1

Compare to the old plugin method that use non-root users:

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users      184 Apr 10  Title2

thx

I'll assume that you're using needo's CP, SAB, SB.

1) If you don't set EDGE to 1, git won't be installed and CP will not update itself.

2) All these 3 containers run with user "nobody" . If you're creating a directory with Docker, this directory will be "root" owned because docker run as root. The docker plugin will create directories as "nobody".

• 2 weeks later...

I would appreciate an update tutorial - even if possible in more steps, beginning after brand new install of unraid 6 (beta 8 or later)

because dummies like me (i hope there are more) can't figure it out even with (trying) to read all those 18 pages and anything I could find within the 1st pages of google unraid 6 docker install :)

thanks,

Matt

I had everything up and running in beta 6, upgraded straight to beta 10 (probably a mistake, I know) and had the hardest time getting everything to work, was not able to import any of the configurations from my beta 6 setup, and had to manually read the xml from my old configs and re-create the new containers.

While the vast majority of my containers come up, none can talk to each other, or access services that the other provides.  So nzbdrone can't talk to sabnzbd, or plex, or nzbmegasearch, nor can couchpotato, which kind of makes all of them useless.  Is there some security setting that was enabled which is preventing this action, or something I missed when I tried to recreate these configs?

I would appreciate an update tutorial - even if possible in more steps, beginning after brand new install of unraid 6 (beta 8 or later)

because dummies like me (i hope there are more) can't figure it out even with (trying) to read all those 18 pages and anything I could find within the 1st pages of google unraid 6 docker install :)

thanks,

Matt

This needs to happen, I agree. Will work on this.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks,

Matt

No Matt, you are not alone... I share the pain. The GUI in Unraid 6.0 B10a does not match the posted pics.

I have tried to enter the command line, but I have a message "--net: invalid net mode: invalid --net: tower".

I have tried to use the GUI, but could not find any explanation nor tutorial on how to use it.  :-[

thanks,

Matt

No Matt, you are not alone... I share the pain. The GUI in Unraid 6.0 B10a does not match the posted pics.

I have tried to enter the command line, but I have a message "--net: invalid net mode: invalid --net: tower".

I have tried to use the GUI, but could not find any explanation nor tutorial on how to use it.  :-[

Looks like I'll be updating some guides here soon.

Sorry guys, you are 100% right and these guides are TOTALLY outdated now.  Haven't had to drop to command line to use Docker in some time.

We'll get this fixed.

Thank you for not being dismissive or arrogant.  :D

I will put the switch toward V 6.0 for another time in the future, as I read that V 6.0 is ONLY 64 bits compatible and does not run 32 bits apps (like the current Plex non-plexpass version). Back to stable and documented V 5.0.5 now.

Can't be arrogant when you guys are soooooooooooooooo right about this.

Sometimes when you're working so focused towards getting it better its easy to forget about the little things like showing people how to use it