unRAID 6 Beta 6: Docker Quick-Start Guide

I'm not planning on using the VM any longer (at least not right now), since it was only to allow me to run SAB and SickRage (I can go back to SickBeard until I figure out how to create a SickRage container).

but, I was able to start it up, then copy the .ini file and the admin folder (not sure I'll need it) over to the cache drive, so I can move/replace/update the new one for the new container.

**I did want to point out that the process of creating docker and then my first container put 2 new folders on my cache drive (docker & appdata), but they are both marked to not use the cache drive, when you look at the shares in the unRAID GUI.  I suspect if one were to neglect to change this to cache:only, mover will likely move these off the cache drive, and cause problems the next day.  Maybe this can/should be added to the guide.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, I have SABnzbd and SickBeard both installed and running.

I ended up using Midnight Commander to copy the sabnzbd.ini from the Virtual Machine to the /cache/appdata/sabnzbd folder, and also copied some of the files from the /admin folder to the new location also.

This resulted in SAB showing my old settings from the VM in the new container version; just what I was hoping would happen.

However, when I tried to change some of the file paths in the settings (since some pointed to /opt/something), it seems like the container version is using the VM folder structure, since it still show /opt folder, and others specific to the VM.  Also, if I navigate to /mnt/ my cache drive isn't listed, only mounts from the VM.

I suspect an unRAID reboot might be in order, but I found this weird, and thought it worth reporting.

I will note that the VM is currently running, so maybe that's part of the problem.  I'll stop it right now and check again.

***Ah, I had to start with the /data folder, then my shares are all listed there.

Last thing before sleety time.  I can't find the autoProcessTV folder that comes with a normal install of SickBeard.  It's not in the docker folder (although some subfolders don't let me access them in windows), and it's not in the appdata folder, so I'm not sure where it got placed when it installed.

Not a great concern for me right now, I have no TV shows finishing in the next couple of days, but I would like to know if it got downloaded, or if I just need to copy it from the VM install.

Finally, I'm really happy with docker!  No permissions issues, fast response, and pretty easy, once you kind of see it once.  I'm going to investigate building a container for SickRage pretty soon; wish me luck!

Two questions:

First off, has anyone been able to get transmission working in docker as of yet?  I've tried several containers with no luck.

Second, if I install the sickbeard container like so:

docker run -d -h Tower --name="sickbeard" -v /mnt/cache/appdata/sickbeard:/config -v /mnt/user/:/mnt/user -v /mnt/cache/:/mnt/cache -p 8081:8081 eschultz/docker-sickbeard

Then when I'm browsing in Sickbeard for folders, I can access /mnt/user, but /mnt/cache doesn't show up.  Any ideas on why this might happen?

so far so good! I've successfully migrated sabnzbd/couchpotato and nzbdrone to docker. My unraid system is "cleaner", the only plugin i've kept is apcupsd. I will also try xbmc headless which was a nightmare to get running with the standard  plugins system. I'm also looking for a docker with spotweb, but so far i've not been able to find one  :(

Is docker best suited and geared to a single app, like SickBeard, or could it handle say SB, CP and SabNzbd in one container ?

If it can, what's best practice?

Both approaches are possible.  What a particular docker container supports is up to the person who puts together that container.

Docker is a new enough technology that I am not sure that there is a clear answer to the best approach.  I can see advantages to both approaches.  The single app/container approach will help with maintenance, but the multiple app one minimises the overheads and gives you a set that were tested as a unit. 

My guess is that we will see both approaches used at the whim of the developers.  I can see that it entirely possible that we may see the actual developers of the packages we want to use releasing them as docker containers as another standard release format which would be a powerful incentive to use what they provide directly.

Another thing I have seen mentioned but not yet looked into is a 'docker client' that allows one to both develop and run docker appliances directly under a Windows environment.  That will be powerful aid in helping with the adaption of the technology.  This is definitely something I want to try for myself.

Another thing I have seen mentioned but not yet looked into is a 'docker client' that allows one to both develop and run docker appliances directly under a Windows environment.  That will be powerful aid in helping with the adaption of the technology.  This is definitely something I want to try for myself.

Thanks.

yes, I've seen a docker client for Windows.  Runs in a lightweight VM.  I want to get this up asap to test the various containers I'd plan to use on my unRAID box before a migration as I don't have the luxury of a test server.

The lack of a windows based environment for Xen is what prevented me from even thinking about a move to 6.x

ok JONP

here we go again BARE IN MIND I HAVE 50.000 TV EPISODES on this server and i don't want to rescan them all

so all paths in all plugins are made on /mnt/user/music or /mnt/user/tv.seeing or mnt/user/tv.to.see

so all ini files have the /mnt/user/ paths

now if we going to start a docker with this

docker run -d -h Tower --name="sickbeard" -v /mnt/cache/sickbeard/database:/config -v /mnt/user/:/data -p 8081:8081 eschultz/docker-sickbeard

then i will have to change all paths in the ini files to /data/tv.seeing or /data/tv.to.see

you said in a few posts ago that we are not supposed to change the right side of the colon aka:/data

can i ask why?

if we use this

docker run -d -h Tower --name="sickbeard" -v /mnt/cache/sickbeard/database:/config -v /mnt/user/:/mnt/user -p 8081:8081 eschultz/docker-sickbeard

then he will use our existing ini file with all /mnt/user paths and just continues spinning?

i fail to see why we need to start from the /data path in a docker ?

I'll have to try it one day.  I assume it can inter operate with XBMC ? Single source of videos and metadata but fixed TV devices on xbmc JD mobile on plex ?

Another beauty of docker as it would make trying new stuff like this pretty easily with low risk.

I'll have to try it one day.  I assume it can inter operate with XBMC ? Single source of videos and metadata but fixed TV devices on xbmc JD mobile on plex ?

Another beauty of docker as it would make trying new stuff like this pretty easily with low risk.

The is an XBMC addon called PleXBMC which enables XBMC to display the plex library

This guide will be moved eventually to it's own Docker forum...

I don't know how hard it is to do this, but I would suggest it might be better to do it sooner, than later.  Now that I've had a taste of what docker can do, I'm excited by it, but don't really want to clutter this thread too much (any more).  i found another couple of posts on docker in the KVM board, and posted there also, but think that if might be better to create the docker board soon, and grab the few extraneous post now, before they get strewn all about in the next week or so, as people start discovering how awesome this docker stuff will be for us.

Last thing before sleety time.  I can't find the autoProcessTV folder that comes with a normal install of SickBeard.  It's not in the docker folder (although some subfolders don't let me access them in windows), and it's not in the appdata folder, so I'm not sure where it got placed when it installed.

Not a great concern for me right now, I have no TV shows finishing in the next couple of days, but I would like to know if it got downloaded, or if I just need to copy it from the VM install.

Finally, I'm really happy with docker!  No permissions issues, fast response, and pretty easy, once you kind of see it once.  I'm going to investigate building a container for SickRage pretty soon; wish me luck!

Did you find the auto process folder for sickbeard? It's not in the docker files and not in the app data folders

Nope, never found it.  I just copied the autoProcessTV folder from my ArchVM* and pasted it into the appdata/sabnzbd folder.  I had to use Midnight Commander to do this, as windows told me I didn't have sufficient rights to open the sabnzbd folder.

*I had to putty into the vm, then copy it to the cache drive, then putty into unRAID to copy it to it's final location.

**I actually copied the full sickrage and sabnzbd folders from /opt folder in the VM, to get the .ini and config files, and anything else I might want some day.

I also mounted the cache drive when installing sickbeard so it can see the sabnzbd download folder for processing

I'm not sure what that means, or why you did it.  It sounds like you did this to use the post-processing directly from sickbeard, instead of using the autoProcess, but that's just a guess.

My first TV show download is about to finish, so I'll see if the post-processing works they way I set it up.

I also mounted the cache drive when installing sickbeard so it can see the sabnzbd download folder for processing

I'm not sure what that means, or why you did it.  It sounds like you did this to use the post-processing directly from sickbeard, instead of using the autoProcess, but that's just a guess.

My first TV show download is about to finish, so I'll see if the post-processing works they way I set it up.

It's been a while since I had to setup sickbeard, but yes I added the completed downloads directory in sb - can't remember if that's required?

Jonp , I have one request.

Is is possible to update sabnzbd docker with par2 multithread ? --> http://chuchusoft.com/par2_tbb/download.html

It is really faster when it's come to repair large files. thanks in advance.

I think we can do that pretty easily and maybe even today. stay tuned...

If you do, could you please tell what steps were required to do so?  I want to learn how to do these things also, and not rely on your goodwill and free time :)