unRAID 6 Beta 6: Docker Quick-Start Guide

It's been a while since I had to setup sickbeard, but yes I added the completed downloads directory in sb - can't remember if that's required?

I think it's one or the other.  The setup inside sickbeard is for programs that are on different computers/systems, whereas in this case (I think) you can point sickbeard to sabnzbd and use the autoProcessTV folder.  I don't think you need to (or should) use both.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a way to update plex to .11? That is the plexpass version currently, will that need a separate container on the GitHub?

I think if you login using the webgui and click on the setting in the top right, you can update the Plex app directly through its GUI.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is there a way to update plex to .11? That is the plexpass version currently, will that need a separate container on the GitHub?

I think if you login using the webgui and click on the setting in the top right, you can update the Plex app directly through its GUI.

Only available for the webplayer not the server, updated sickbeard from the webgui fine

Only available for the webplayer not the server, updated sickbeard from the webgui fine

did you authenticate under your Plex pass account already?

Yes logged in and published

hmm.  should just work for the server like the client I would think.  post a question on the Plex forums maybe?  I can tell you there is a low chance of this being related to docker..

Thanks for the quick start guide. I was able to get SAB and SIC containers functional but now I think I've fubared them by running the "New Permissions" script.

I  ran into a permission issue while trying to drop a nzb file into SAB's Watch folder. So I thought I could easily solve it by running that script from the Utilities section of unRAID's webGUI. Well, that part of it worked. At the end of the download there was an error due to "permission denied" trying to unrar an archive. About this point SAB died and I tried a restart  without success.

After a reboot DOCKER is running, but neither containers will start and nothing is listed under the "docker ps" command.

I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. Thanks for any insights you can provide!

100% you cannot update PMS from the gui. Just like in arch and in plugin form, and plain old Ubuntu install, it is a manual package update.  And in arch we have to wait for ironicbadger to build from AUR and update his repository.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

100% you cannot update PMS from the gui. Just like in arch and in plugin form, and plain old Ubuntu install, it is a manual package update.  And in arch we have to wait for ironicbadger to build from AUR and update his repository.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Hmm, what is the check for updates button under the config -> servers tab for?  I've never actually had to upgrade plex before from the webGUI, so I guess I just don't know what's involved.

Is this the case with ANY plex media server installation on ANY Linux distro?  Just curious if this is specific to the package we choose to install for this build or not...

There is no update in the webgui under config -> servers.  It is in config -> web and it is to update the webgui.  The clue is the versions.  PMS (shown in the server section) is 0.9.9.11, the version you see in the web section is 2.1.12

The plex devs have been known to update the webgui independent of the server core.

A couple of questions I am hoping others can help with...

1) Does anyone know how to force an update of sabnzbd? The docker version is older and I see it's supposed to update once a week, but waiting for it to finally kick in is a pain the ass.

2) When I try and restart any docker apps (sab, SB) it stops the app okay, but won't restart. If I do 'docker ps' I dont' see the app listed anymore and need to do 'docker start sabnzbd'. Is this normal?

3) I am a little confused on the data directory. Are these needed for sab/sb? I am still putzing around so haven't dug into them yet. Do they need to point to my media root (i.e. /mnt/user) or can I skip them and just browse normally from the apps?

A couple of questions I am hoping others can help with...

1) Does anyone know how to force an update of sabnzbd? The docker version is older and I see it's supposed to update once a week, but waiting for it to finally kick in is a pain the ass.

unRAID would be wise to create and maintain their own "official" unRAID "Plugin" / Docker Containers and keep them updated. Otherwise, we duplicate the plugin problem all over again. Last time I looked, there were 10+ Sickbeard type containers all running various versions of Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. and various versions of Sickbeard.

If I was unRAID I wouldn't leave it to others to cause major confusion, problems, support issues (70% of unRAID Support Issues are due to Plugins) and maintain either an all in one or create 10 or so Containers that 80% of unRAID customers run (Sickbeard, Couchpotato, etc.).

2) When I try and restart any docker apps (sab, SB) it stops the app okay, but won't restart. If I do 'docker ps' I dont' see the app listed anymore and need to do 'docker start sabnzbd'. Is this normal?

Docker is "dumb". Once the App stops (which upgrading Sickbeard, Couchpotato, etc. does), it doesn't restart them unless you reload the Docker daemon / reboot.

unRAID will have to create / use a supervisor to monitor a container and restart that container (if an exit code other than 0). Considering Docker just released 1.0 they are going to be working on a lot of the tools and management functions like autorestart / monitoring of containers. There are some 3 parties that created an autorestart for their containers / appliance.

as for question 3, data directory, this one confused me also.

I ended up running my SABnzbd container with this for setting the directory location

-v /mnt/user:/data

that means that inside SAB, you're directories all start with /data/whatever/you/want

In another container, I changed that (based on suggestions from others) to

-v /mnt/user:/mnt/user

Which means you'll navigate more like you're used to, directories inside the container/program will start with /mnt/user/whatever/you/want

I will probably rebuild the SAB container with this changed, just to keep it consistent with other containers, and with what I'm used to.

The 'easiest' way to understand, I think, is just to try running a container, and you'll see how it works, then can tweak from there.  At least, that's how I'm proceeding.

You see, for each step in a Dockerfile build process, it actually creates a temporary container/image just for that step, then it shuts down that container and restarts a copy of it right away to then perform the next step in the Dockerfile. 

Would it be possible to share your Dockerfile, so I can use it as a template for building a container of my own?  I'm not a programmer, so it's all pretty confusing to me, and I think if I could sort of follow along in one that builds a simple container (SAB or SickBeard), I think I'll be comfortable enough to modify it to build it for the programs I want to try out.

thanks!

Jonp , I have one request.

Is is possible to update sabnzbd docker with par2 multithread ? --> http://chuchusoft.com/par2_tbb/download.html

It is really faster when it's come to repair large files. thanks in advance.

I think we can do that pretty easily and maybe even today. stay tuned...

Thanks again. maybe you will find this question dumb, but how to upgrade a dockerized application when an update is published?

......I've fubared them by running the "New Permissions" script.

I  ran into a permission issue while trying to drop a nzb file into SAB's Watch folder. So I thought I could easily solve it by running that script from the Utilities section of unRAID's webGUI. Well, that part of it worked. At the end of the download there was an error due to "permission denied" trying to unrar an archive. About this point SAB died and I tried a restart  without success.

After a reboot DOCKER is running, but neither containers will start and nothing is listed under the "docker ps" command.

from the command line, run docker start sabnzbd  &  docker start sickbeard, then docker ps should show both running

JustinChase, yes thanks, I've tried that without any success. Running the command just gives me this:

CONTAINER ID        IMAGE               COMMAND             CREATED             STATUS              PORTS               NAMES

I came across a nice little function, "docker logs "container"" and the error from SABnzbd is:

2014/06/21 02:17:21 exec: "/usr/bin/sabnzbdplus": permission denied

and the error from SickBeard is:

2014/06/21 02:13:17 exec: "python": executable file not found in $PATH

I'm going to assume these are permissions within the Ubuntu 14.04 "container" but I don't have any clue how to go about fixing them. Is  there a way to reinstall the Ubuntu host?

Any ideas? Thanks!!

I would try this...

docker rm sabnzbd

docker rmi eschultz/docker-sabnzbd

then, run your command again.

This removes the container, then removes it from your system, then just start over.

Assuming this works for SAB, then do the same for sickbeard, changing text as necessary.

I had the same issue once I had run the permission change, unsure of what the original permissions were so I changed the docker location from the unRAID webgui and started again but used the same appdata directory so config was kept

docker rm sabnzbd

This removes the container, then removes it from your system, then just start over.

Assuming this works for SAB, then do the same for sickbeard, changing text as necessary.

I had the same issue once I had run the permission change, unsure of what the original permissions were so I changed the docker location from the unRAID webgui and started again but used the same appdata directory so config was kept

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go!

docker rm sabnzbd

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go!

Sorry, it seems there is one more step.  Before you can get the container running again, you have to reboot unRAID.  Well, I had to anyway.  you can try docker start whateverservice, then docker ps.  if you don't see the image running, then shut it all down and reboot unRAID.  i suggest you do the to both programs at the same time, then reboot unRAID once.