Dockerization of some popular applications.

Why don't you dev types start a new thread, or so for a su forum for yourselves.  I'd love to see some sort of consensus, standardization maybe and collaboration for all containers created for unRAID.

For a mug user like me it would be a lot asker to just download the one sabnzbd container that I know everyone has made as sexy as possible rather than try to choose between 4 or 5 without having the tech skills to decide which one would suit me better.

Why don't you dev types start a new thread, or so for a su forum for yourselves.  I'd love to see some sort of consensus, standardization maybe and collaboration for all containers created for unRAID.

For a mug user like me it would be a lot asker to just download the one sabnzbd container that I know everyone has made as sexy as possible rather than try to choose between 4 or 5 without having the tech skills to decide which one would suit me better.

This is a good idea. The problem with new technology like this is you get multiple people running in different directions.

I want to use the same version as everyone else, and I don't want to be dependent on a single person to provide the latest/greatest updates in case they get hit by a bus and leave us screwed.

Hopefully a consensus can be gotten quickly.

I am seriously considering making the jump and converting everything to phusion/baseimage. Based on what I have learned in the [POLL] thread.

Any strong thoughts one way or the other?

You should and I explained in the other thread all the reasons why you should (phantom running process, file system corruption, ssh, logs, apt bug, etc.). You are a docker pro so it shouldn't be difficult for you.

You will also like runit because it is designed / easier for docker. Upstart sucks and doesn't play well with Docker which is another reason why it's getting replaced in Debian next version. runit will also solve the restart problem with upgrades and when a container crashes.

On my dev system I ported over my couchpotato Dockerfile to phusion/baseimage. Definitely a size difference:

<none>              <none>              4de1b90ac0a1        5 minutes ago       498.9 MB
needo/couchpotato   latest              c7f6d845fc44        35 hours ago        211.9 MB

But the port was pretty easy and there are some real advantages. I am going to port and test all my dockerfiles tomorrow.

On my dev system I ported over my couchpotato Dockerfile to phusion/baseimage. Definitely a size difference:

<none>              <none>              4de1b90ac0a1        5 minutes ago       498.9 MB
needo/couchpotato   latest              c7f6d845fc44        35 hours ago        211.9 MB

But the port was pretty easy and there are some real advantages. I am going to port and test all my dockerfiles tomorrow.

Yeah good base OS but it's huge. With Tiny Core Linux your docker container should be around 30 MB (depending on the app and the dependencies needed). Boot2Docker (what a Mac or Windows uses) is using Tiny Core Linux.

If I get some free time I will create a few Docker Apps based on Tiny Core Linux and let some users test them. Unless you find free time first.

Trying to configure nzbdrone. I'm trying to add SABnzbd. I enter localhost and 8080 and the API, and when I hit Test, I always get [testsabnzbd] Failed. Any idea what I need to do different to get nzbdrone to control SAB?

Enter the IP of unRAID, not localhost

Figured it out. It needs a category. I never used one with Sab before because Sickbeard doesn't require one - it just puts things in directories where specified. As soon as I created a "tv" category in Sab, and the same in NzbDrone, it worked.

I am seriously considering making the jump and converting everything to phusion/baseimage. Based on what I have learned in the [POLL] thread.

Any strong thoughts one way or the other?

If this will get us around the issue of updating/restarting the apps without having restart the container then I am all for it.

From what I read in the phusion link, there are many issues that this will (hopeuflly) resolve, even if updating a program is not something we're going to do, at least allowing restarting the program, or autostarting images would be a benefit.  I would like to see you make the switch, personally.

From what I read in the phusion link, there are many issues that this will (hopeuflly) resolve, even if updating a program is not something we're going to do, at least allowing restarting the program, or autostarting images would be a benefit.  I would like to see you make the switch, personally.

I am working on converting all of them today. I have also written some scripts that will make it so those who only want to run the stable versions can do so, and those who want to update and run the latest git versions can also do so. All from the same Dock.

I am working on converting all of them today. I have also written some scripts that will make it so those who only want to run the stable versions can do so, and those who want to update and run the latest git versions can also do so. All from the same Dock.

Sounds very promising!  I'm looking forward to it.  Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this already.

That is awesome needo. I definitely hope you are around for a long time to help manage these, but it's important that users be able to manage these once they've been deployed for themselves (if they so desire).

I am glad you were able to figure out a process to make both camps happy.

That is awesome needo. I definitely hope you are around for a long time to help manage these, but it's important that users be able to manage these once they've been deployed for themselves (if they so desire).

I am glad you were able to figure out a process to make both camps happy.

I'm very excited to release all the updates tonight. There are some surprises as well that I hope people will be happy with.

I like the fact that you're planning on giving the user the option of going with a specific stable release or the latest git.

As I mentioned before my biggest worry with these plugins is the possibility of the dev disappearing (we know it happens when they get a new job or have a baby, etc.) or the dev pushing new updates slowly

I like the fact that you're planning on giving the user the option of going with a specific stable release or the latest git.

As I mentioned before my biggest worry with these plugins is the possibility of the dev disappearing (we know it happens when they get a new job or have a baby, etc.) or the dev pushing new updates slowly

As it was mentioned in another thread. unRAID users have "Stockholm Syndrome" from all beatings we took over the years with unRAID plugins. Example: The CouchPotato unRAID plugin is 1236 lines of code and it's 14 pages if you were to print it out. Only a small handful of people had the knowledge and experience to create / maintain it. Why does it take a MIT graduate a month and 1236 lines of code to install CouchPotato when you can type one line in Ubuntu "apt-get install couchpotato"? It's because Slackware SUCKS BALLS, has no package manager and unRAID apparently liked to "beat us" (how / why we have "Stockholm Syndrome").

With Docker...

The CouchPotato Docker App is about 10 lines that is in English. We will no longer need a MIT graduate who is an expert in XML / Linux to be able to pick it up / modify it / update it / etc. You can literally create apps or update apps in minutes.

My Position on the whole thing

Since unRAID continues to use an ancient and dead Linux Distro, Slackware. What Docker really is... ANOTHER band-aid / layer of complexity to overcome what a POS Slackware really is.  It's the only Linux Distribution that I know of that doesn't have a package manager. We are using Docker to install a "real" Linux Distro (Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, CentOS, etc.) using their package manager to install Applications.

Yes, Docker does provide / do some things that Nerds / Dorks like me want and love but for a majority of unRAID users that do not need / care about that stuff... If unRAID used CentOS or any other Linux Distro other than Slackware... Plugins (without Docker) would be 10 or so lines too and we wouldn't have to fool with all this Docker stuff.

I'm a little confused about how to use the mariadb docker... How can I "secure it by creating users and passwords"? I can't seem to access th database from my computer...  :-\

you need to telnet into your unraid server and type
   mysql -u root -p 

I'm a little confused about how to use the mariadb docker... How can I "secure it by creating users and passwords"? I can't seem to access th database from my computer...  :-\

you need to telnet into your unraid server and type
   mysql -u root -p 

Yeah, well, mysql is not installed on unraid, that's the whole point of having docker taking care of it... :-/ And I understood that I can't really ssh/telnet into the container, right?

Yeah, well, mysql is not installed on unraid, that's the whole point of having docker taking care of it... :-/ And I understood that I can't really ssh/telnet into the container, right?

What does your docker run command look like?

Here it is :

docker run -d --name=mariadb -v /mnt/cache/apps/mysql/:/db -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -p 3306:3306 needo/mariadb

docker run -d --name=mariadb -v /mnt/cache/apps/mysql/:/db -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -p 3306:3306 needo/mariadb

Fire up a mysql client on another machine or VM and run mysql -uroot -h Tower

The mariadb is just the database server.

Fire up a mysql client on another machine or VM and run mysql -uroot -h Tower

The mariadb is just the database server.

I've been trying to connect from a mysql client on my Windows machine, it's just not going through. It seems like a privilege issue. What do you think of https://github.com/Painted-Fox/docker-mariadb/blob/master/scripts/first_run.sh ? It seems to be granting access to the user from everywhere (CREATE USER '$USER'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY '$PASS'; )

Edit : I'm starting from an empty db...

I've been trying to connect from a mysql client on my Windows machine, it's just not going through. It seems like a privilege issue. What do you think of https://github.com/Painted-Fox/docker-mariadb/blob/master/scripts/first_run.sh ? It seems to be granting access to the user from everywhere (CREATE USER '$USER'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY '$PASS'; )

You are right. I missed that. I will get that fixed tonight.

You are right. I missed that. I will get that fixed tonight.

Thank you!!

CHANGELOG

06/25/2014

• (ALL) Migrated from debian:jessie to phuzion/baseimage:0.9.11
  • (mariadb) When initializing a new database root can connect from anywhere with no password
  • (plex) It is now possible to specify which version of PlexMediaServer you want to install. See README for more details.
  • (couchpotato)(sickbeard)(sickrage)(plexwatch)(nzbmegasearch)(plexconnect) By default the latest stable version of these applications will be installed. By specifying a variable in the docker run command the latest master branch will be installed and in-app updates will be functional. Please see the respective READMEs for more details.