Docker performance

Firstly great work from all the docker nuts out there i'm starting to get into it and hopefully will start to contribute something one day!

Performance is a BIG thing for me. I'm using needo's plexpass container and i am not happy with performance. Transcoding for cloud sync and device syncing would typically run at 24x in my XEN vm, now its at 8x - 9x using docker.

Do I need to edit syslinux to give Dom-0 more cpu's? I've got 4 core (8 threads) and 16gb ram.

How many CPUs does your Xen VM have assigned and how many does Dom0 have?

I have noticed huge performance increases across the board since moving to Docker.

I typically assign 4 vpcu's to my plex server in XEN,

Dom0 would be 8 wouldn't it? or do i need to assign it more in syslinux.cfg?

my syslinux is default at present and cant check from work.

If your performance issues go away when booting to non Xen mode, you were experiencing a Xen specific issue...

And the majority of your memory is allocated to cache and buffer space, which isn't really consumption.  You're barely pushing the needle in your system resources right now...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If your performance issues go away when booting to non Xen mode, you were experiencing a Xen specific issue...

And the majority of your memory is allocated to cache and buffer space, which isn't really consumption.  You're barely pushing the needle in your system resources right now...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks Jonp.. how do i push the needle!

Performance for plex in docker is the same with or without xen boot. I'm transcoding a 15gb mkv which for the same movie in a win8.1 xen VM would run at 24x speed. Now in docker it is running at x6

CPU is working enough...

Memory is cached and not being used - how does one allocate more memory to a container?

The docker container sits on an SSD could it be Disk I/O?

If its memory is there a way to pass "/tmp/ from unraid RAM directory to plex and allow it to transcode in Unraid's RAM?

Cheers

Will