[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Is there a way to bound crash plan to one cpu?  I have 2 CPUs and I want to run at 90% without crippling the whole server.  I am trying to speed up the initial upload to crash plan.

im sure there is a command line for docker to do that.. but you can go into the settings of crash plan and tell it how much cpu to use.

I guess my problem is crash plan is a CPU hog.  What I really need is a scheduler the that will allow me to give crash plan 90% CPU for specific hours of the day.  Like Midnight to 5am and Noon to 4pm.  I've looked at some of the properties files and I cannot see where those settings are held.  Anybody have a clue?

You should be able to set Crashplan for a time period when back-ups can occur. I use the windows client tunneled in through telnet and it works. Just set it up as you need. Just be careful if others set their back-ups for different times, they may never occur.

Got it.  That is the easy way.  But I always do things the hard way.  What I want to do is always have crashplan running.  But throttle the CPU available to it during my peak usage times.

I found out how to do part of it.

The setting is located in the my.service.xml file

The value I want to change is:

<idleThrottleRate>30</idleThrottleRate>

The idle value is always used on Linux

So I want to make a script to go into this file, adjust the value from 30 to 90 when I want it to go fast and vice versa when I need my expect heavy usage...

So these commands will change those values:

#FAST
sed -i -e 's/<idleThrottleRate>30/<idleThrottleRate>90/g' /mnt/user/appdata/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
docker restart CrashPlan

#SLOW
sed -i -e 's/<idleThrottleRate>90/<idleThrottleRate>30/g' /mnt/user/appdata/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
docker restart CrashPlan

What I do not know, is how to run these two sets of commands when I want to... I am not sure how to create a script or where to put it if I want a script to run.

Any ideas?

[ *************** EDIT ***************]

Never mind all of that.  My issues was CPU usage.  I got it sorted by correcting the Crashplan settings for Dedup and Compression.  Now she is humming along at low CPU utilization.

Thanks again!

I find out that in the day, Crashplan backup at around 8-9Mbps, but in the evening and night, it's 3.3Mbps.  I think it's congestion in the route my ISP use to go back to crashplan servers.  I don't know where they are, but i'm in Québec, so if they are in Sillicon Valley, it's normal...

"CrashPlan uses seven data centers: three in the US (two in Minneapolis, MN, and one in Atlanta, GA) and one each in Japan, Ireland, Australia, and Singapore. "

I install the docker file and i have changed the client ui.preferences conf file to

#Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005
#serviceHost=192.168.2.100  (unraid ip)
#servicePort=4243
#pollerPeriod=1000  # 1 second
#connectRetryDelay=10000  # 10 seconds
#connectRetryAttempts=3
#showWelcome=true

#font.small=
#font.default=
#font.title=
#font.message.header=
#font.message.body=
#font.tab=

I have also tried port forwarding using putty but ether way crash plan wont connect to my unraid and just scans the local computer? i really dont get why its completly ignoring the configuration file.

Edit

yeah im an idiot i figured that out right after i posted this xD

Make Sure to Uncomment the ip

The only other thing that im finding is a little funny is i put data path as /user/mnt/  but in the folder to back up slection it looks like it mounted at /user/ and it wont expand /mnt/ directory but i can expand shares  in /data/ directory.

what exactly is /data/  some kind of symlink? because i know that /user0/ is cache disk and /user/ is parity.

Just wondering?

edit:

Thanks for the lightening fast reply generalz

• 2 weeks later...

take the # out from the port

should look like this. I use 4200 as per crashplans faqs'

cpfwd.png

This is not needed. CP by default bind it's control port to 127.0.0.1:4243. In this case, it's only reachable from the local host, therefore the need of use SSH tunneling to reach it.

The container bind CP control port to 0.0.0.0:4243, so it's reachable from all IP addresses. Just uncomment and set properly the servicePort and the serviceHost variables.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, new to Docker and CrashPlan.  What I'd like to do is use CrashPlan to backup various PC's in the household to CrashPlan on the Unraid Box.  I've installed CrashPlan container on Unraid, I've also installed the Windows client.  I've started a backup from a client PC to the unraid box, which seemed to work until it ran out of space.  I assume since I limited the initial container size to 5GB, and it appears to be using that as the backup destination, it ran out of space.  What is the best way to deal with this ?  I assume creating a larger container is NOT ideal, can I redirect the backup to a folder on the unraid array or something along those lines ?  Hope I'm making sense.

I'm on Beta 6 10a.

Appreciate the assistance.

Hi All, have got the CrashPlan docker up and running and could access it from my Windows machine.  However, since I had to reboot unRaid, CrashPlan seems to be working but I can no longer access it from Windows.  When running a port scanner on unRaid it shows 4242 as accessible but not 4243. Could this be the issue (and how to resolve)? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?!

ports.PNGui_properties.PNGunRaid_view.PNG

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot/resolve this would be appreciated!

(unRaid 6 beta 10)

I think I am in the same boat as rpj999. I’ve got the Docker running, and by importing my .identity from my previous Crashplan installing (using the plugin on unRAID v5.05), I am able to back up to the unRAID server. However I am unable to connect to the server through the Crashplan UI, unless I do the ssh tunnel through putty.

I also am only able to see port 4242 as open. This is both from a Mac running Yosemite beta 4 (yeah, I know, too many betas) and from a Windows 7 machine.

I think I am in the same boat as rpj999. I’ve got the Docker running, and by importing my .identity from my previous Crashplan installing (using the plugin on unRAID v5.05), I am able to back up to the unRAID server. However I am unable to connect to the server through the Crashplan UI, unless I do the ssh tunnel through putty.

I also am only able to see port 4242 as open. This is both from a Mac running Yosemite beta 4 (yeah, I know, too many betas) and from a Windows 7 machine.

this is working as intended per crashplans instructions.  if you want to use the UI without ssh you need to modifiy my.service.xml  in your appdata\crashplan\conf  change it from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0

<serviceUIConfig>
    <serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>
    <servicePort>4243</servicePort>
    <connectCheck>0</connectCheck>

this is working as intended per crashplans instructions.  if you want to use the UI without ssh you need to modifiy my.service.xml  in your appdata\crashplan\conf  change it from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0

<serviceUIConfig>
    <serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>
    <servicePort>4243</servicePort>
    <connectCheck>0</connectCheck>

This is why I love this community and these forums.  You guys continually assist me in my own education.  I was just wondering the other day how to get around the ssh and putty requirement for managing this and your post here seems to be the ticket.  Thanks for sharing your wisdom!!

• 2 weeks later...

Having several issues with the Crashplan container, but the biggest one is that if I reboot my unRAID server, I can’t restart Crashplan. Here is the Status/Log

root@localhost:# /usr/bin/docker logs --tail=350 CrashPlan
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/00_regen_ssh_host_keys.sh...
No SSH host key available. Generating one...
Creating SSH2 RSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 DSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 ECDSA key; this may take some time ...
Creating SSH2 ED25519 key; this may take some time ...
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of restart.
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/config.sh...
*** Running /etc/rc.local...
*** Booting runit daemon...
*** Runit started as PID 105
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 105)...
*** Killing all processes...
*** Not all processes have exited in time. Forcing them to exit.
*** Runit started as PID 20
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 20)...
*** Runit started as PID 21
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 21)...

The command finished successfully!

The only way I can get it to restart is to remove the container and recreate it (using the my-CrashPlan template. Any ideas?

Can someone confirm there is an actual problem? My friend and I each seeded a drive and home and when we swapped disks so we could do remote backup to each other, Crashplan coincidentally updated to 3.6.4. We've been having some issues, though I'm not sure they're connected to the update.

Any reason in particular why we should expect a pushed update to break the container? Anyway to block the updating if so?

Can someone confirm there is an actual problem? My friend and I each seeded a drive and home and when we swapped disks so we could do remote backup to each other, Crashplan coincidentally updated to 3.6.4. We've been having some issues, though I'm not sure they're connected to the update.

Any reason in particular why we should expect a pushed update to break the container? Anyway to block the updating if so?

well for one the changes are not saved when you stop and start the container again and it goes through the update process again.  the java updates stop the services and since the containers dont start services like a normal *nix box it breaks.

Thanks. I'm new to Docker, is this just an effect of using the app in an environment it wasn't planned for?

Is there a way to block the update? It's scary to think an update can take the program out of commission until the docker container is updated.

correct.  freenas guys are having the same problem with the bsd jail (similar to docker)

I haven't looked into it. its worse when the program has an internal database for settings or usage because then you get into a situation where the db is newer then the program.