[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Having the same issue with Mate

I am able to connect to Mate via RDP with no issue. But the CP GUI will not connect to the engine.

Like others, I know it is running because I can see it and start a backup from other CP installs on PC's that are being backed up.

The Mate gui will connect the first time the CP Engine docker is installed, But if the docker is restarted, It never connects again. Any ideas?

::UPDATE::

able to connect when setting window client to connect by changing ui.properties and making the tunnle via putty.

CP engine docker si set to bridge mode BTW

both MATE and Engine are 4.2.0

cp.PNG.0dea46cb4ddd692a7e1208fdbcd802ba.PNG

I have moved from a crashplan plg installation on UNRAID v5.5 with install path /mnt/cache/crashplan and backup path /user/m the same into a crashplan container in docker and cannot see any restores from destination being Tower.Does crashplan.plg install to another path that I have missed in moving to dockers?

I am able to connect to Mate via RDP with no issue. But the CP GUI will not connect to the engine.

Try editing your server appdata/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml file, around line 23 may say:

<serviceUIConfig>
    <serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>

If necessary, change this to:

<serviceUIConfig>
    <serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>

This makes crashplan listen to non host clients without the use of the ssh tunnel.  Restart the Crashplan docker and the Crashplan-Desktop docker should now connect without issue.  As this is less secure, once logged into crashplan, change the security settings to require a password to use the client.

Try editing your server appdata/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml file, around line 23 may say:

<serviceUIConfig>
    <serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>

If necessary, change this to:

<serviceUIConfig>
    <serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>

This makes crashplan listen to non host clients without the use of the ssh tunnel.  Restart the Crashplan docker and the Crashplan-Desktop docker should now connect without issue.  As this is less secure, once logged into crashplan, change the security settings to require a password to use the client.

That did it. Thank you!

Jumping in the midst of all this docker talk to interrupt with a more general question (figuring is the biggest group of unraid/Crashplan users out there) - is Crashplan w/ unRaid awesome or not?

I'd really like to get my full NAS (Currently about about 30TB and growing) backed up, with these being my important things:

- MUST be able to be sure I can get stuff back if needed... it would suck to upload 20TB, then have a massive local failure, then get an email saying "20TB is too many TB's, we cancelled your account..."

- Client-side encryption - I'm sure the NSA has a few backdoors into Crashplan... I don't want them looking at my pictures! :P

- Prioritized uploads - I want the full unRAID backed up, but of course I'd like family pictures uploaded before backups of blurays or other relatively common things

- After everythings up, having stuff auto-uploaded as it's added would be nice

Is crashplan going to fit the ^^ needs?

I have the Crashplan family plan. That includes unlimited computers and storage. Between all my computers I have about 10TB online at Crashplan. When I first signed up I asked them how much space does 'unlimited' really mean and they basically said, unlimited. It has been a few years so the TOS may have changed. I would read their TOS very closely, there always is a catch somewhere since unlimited is never really unlimited.

I'm currently on v5 and thinking of upgrading to v6 and one of the major concerns is migrating my CrashPlan install.  I have other computers that back up to my unRAID's CrashPlan, and I don't want to lose all that file revision history.  The backups are stored on my array.  Is it possible to install this docker implementation, tell it to backup to my existing folder, and have the clients carry on like nothing happened?

I tried to search through the thread and didn't find anything, hopefully I didn't miss it.

I asked this awhile back, but in case anyone has a similar question, I can say that this worked brilliantly.  I allowed the container to make a new configuration (I didn't try to reuse my existing config).  I then mapped the Docker backup directory to my existing CrashPlan backup directory.  Once the Engine was up and running, I installed the desktop mate and used it to log in, and finally "Adopt" the previous machine's backup.

Every client then instantly recognized the new host and connected.  Each had to go through a lengthy synchronization and version pruning process, but after that everything was fully functional.  I didn't even lose any history.

This was worth the v6 upgrade all on its own.  Having the desktop mate is fantastic.  Thanks so much for making all of this.

I asked this awhile back, but in case anyone has a similar question, I can say that this worked brilliantly.  I allowed the container to make a new configuration (I didn't try to reuse my existing config).  I then mapped the Docker backup directory to my existing CrashPlan backup directory.  Once the Engine was up and running, I installed the desktop mate and used it to log in, and finally "Adopt" the previous machine's backup.

Gizmotoy how do you go back to history? I have two tower destinations which are marked as "offline" in the restore tab in the new crashplan container.

I have had to start backups all over in the past.I do not want to do it a third time.I can see my backup destination files on the tower.

What config is crashplan looking for?

If I restore my old v5.5 unraid flash on a vm,can I restore my crashplan plugin config?What should the path be?

Gizmotoy how do you go back to history? I have two tower destinations which are marked as "offline" in the restore tab in the new crashplan container.

I have had to start backups all over in the past.I do not want to do it a third time.I can see my backup destination files on the tower.

If I restore my old v5.5 unraid flash on a vm,can I restore my crashplan plugin config?What should the path be?

It sounds like you started a new device previously rather than using the "adopt" option. If you adopt, it should not create another device. If the paths to the data being backed up hasn't changed, it should just go through a process where it compares block information and looks like it's backing up stuff again but is really just flying through all the comparisons at an extremely higher rate. As such, all the previous version stuff would be retained and things would continue on. IF the paths to the data being backed up is different, the one key thing to note is that you want to leave the previous paths (that will be noted as "Missing" in the backup area of the UI) if you wish to retain the old versions of stuff. So, you would have the old path marked as missing and the new path that shows the active amount of stuff being backed up. It'll still do the block-level comparing and only re-upload all the changes, so it won't be re-backing up everything again.

Incidentally, the proper time to do the adopt step is when you first sign into the app after re-install. At the top, it should have an option to click to adopt a previous computer backup. Just pick the previous instance and you're good.

It sounds like you started a new device previously rather than using the "adopt" option. If you adopt, it should not create another device. If the paths to the data being backed up hasn't changed, it should just go through a process where it compares block information and looks like it's backing up stuff again but is really just flying through all the comparisons at an extremely higher rate. As such, all the previous version stuff would be retained and things would continue on. IF the paths to the data being backed up is different, the one key thing to note is that you want to leave the previous paths (that will be noted as "Missing" in the backup area of the UI) if you wish to retain the old versions of stuff. So, you would have the old path marked as missing and the new path that shows the active amount of stuff being backed up. It'll still do the block-level comparing and only re-upload all the changes, so it won't be re-backing up everything again.

Incidentally, the proper time to do the adopt step is when you first sign into the app after re-install. At the top, it should have an option to click to adopt a previous computer backup. Just pick the previous instance and you're good.

Couldn't have said it any better than this.  This was exactly my experience.  My paths had changed, so I do see data in the old path that I'll leave there for potential future use.

flamegrilled asked how you go back to history.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but if you mean verify the history of your files, you can do that via the Restore tab.  You can drill down to individual files, and CrashPlan tells you all the versions it has stored for that file.  That's how I verified my history was intact.

I think I started by using the default /data in the crashplan container setup as my backup destination which with the v5 plugin was just marked as /mnt/user/m.

I did miss the crashplan destination adopt option in the gui.So this would have eliminated the collection of "towers" in destinations I assume.

I have attached the current setup from my Laptop to Tower or in this case Towering.I chose the only green online "towering" machine on the laptop as it connected I assume after changing the destination path in the gui on the docker crashplan desktop.

When I clicked on the backup option on the laptop backup it immediately showed size and it was pretty much the same size and when I looked at the restore tab I could see the previous backed up content.

I love the new docker setup and the elimination of the ssh tunnel.

Thanks Gents for all the advice.

crashplanv55.JPG.47080b8da5791eb4b47d6255bef2c4d8.JPG

crashplanv50..JPG.a66d86333653679e5f4efe26d8da1256.JPG

crashplandocker.PNG.61fc6be9e5ada1ab9e1a07c11aa546ec.PNG

crashplanadopt.PNG.92b0ebb10531defac8c348215eda5999.PNG

well i had same issue with the windows version ... was also running 4.20 there

upgraded the windows version to 4.30 and it works but only for the local windows one..... even with the port tunnel i only get the gui from the local windows machine

so i wonder if we need to upgrade to 4.30 to get it to work again ?

Ok I have the same issue and filed a ticket with Crashplan Support, I got a message back today that says:

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Code42 support. Headless systems are not supported, so I can't really troubleshoot getting them going again. However, the recent update introduced a new authentication check in the application, which is likely causing the issue. I would suggest taking a look here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/3bszem/anyone_having_issues_connecting_to_the_crashplan/

https://github.com/droboports/crashplan/releases

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thanks!

Regards,

"

So basically your SOL.

I looked at the reddit page and they talk about a new password hash that needs to be passed between client and server.  I was looking at the my.services.xml file on unraid and see:

<autoLoginPasswordHash nil="true"/>

In my install that actually had a password hash, no idea where it came from.  I asked  a buddy to send me his (using the same docker) and his has the nil="true" and as of yesterday was working.  I restarted the docker, but still get the hang.  I'm not sure where this new password is, and tech support was not helpful, just stated there was one.

Maybe this can help someone find it :)

david

A couple additional items.  The Crashplan-desktop has the same issue, and it is running 4.2, not 4.3

From the log file on my windows client I see:

[07.02.15 14:28:33.218 INFO    connect              com.backup42.desktop.CPDesktop          ] Connecting to service at 192.168.1.107:4243

[07.02.15 14:28:34.240 INFO    MQ-UI-0              com.backup42.desktop.CPDesktop          ]  Connected to service

[07.02.15 14:28:34.240 INFO    MQ-UI-0              com.backup42.service.ui.UIInfoUtility  ] Loaded port=4243 and token from location=C:/ProgramData/CrashPlan/.ui_info

[07.02.15 14:28:34.240 INFO    MQ-UI-0              backup42.service.ui.client.ServiceClient] Getting initial application state for CPD, username=David, userHome=C:\Users\David, desktopFolder=C:\Users\David\Desktop

[07.02.15 14:28:34.255 INFO    connect              com.backup42.desktop.CPDesktop          ]    SUCCESS on attempt #1

[07.02.15 14:28:34.302 INFO    Factory$Notifier-UI0 com.backup42.desktop.Services          ] DISCONNECTED!

It is connecting, it is reading a token from the .ui_info file, but then it is disconnected.

david

For the client we would need to rely on the docker creator to update it. It doesn't update automatically. So we wait and hope it gets done or we figure out how to do it ourselves. I'm just speaking about the MATE docker. I don't like to screw with my client on my Windows computer. No reason to really if there is a docker mate. But if the day comes when gfjarmin doesn't want to update or loses interest I'll probably setup the Windows client. Hey, I'll just load up a small Windows VM on unraid. :)

I came here for more info on the latest updates. I noticed that the crashplan docker was updated to 4.3. I'm unable to connect, though, even with my windows updated to 4.3. I downloaded the .ui_info from my unraid, and copied it to C:\program files\crashplan\. I'm using the windows connect method, with a ssh tunnel through PuTTY. Does anyone have any other tips? The reddit thread is unaccessible due to the blackout.

hi,

you need to copy it to c:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info

there will be probably one there from your local windows..... rename that one first as you will need it when you want to connect to your local windows session ....

and for some reason you now need to change the service host too here

c:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties

serviceHost=192.168.x.x

servicePort=4200

please use your own unraid ip

original will probably be

#serviceHost=

servicePort=4200

like this i can connect to my unraid servers ... need to rename the .ui.info every time though .... :(

hi,

you need to copy it to c:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info

there will be probably one there from your local windows..... rename that one first as you will need it when you want to connect to your local windows session ....

and for some reason you now need to change the service host too here

c:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties

serviceHost=192.168.x.x

servicePort=4200

please use your own unraid ip

original will probably be

#serviceHost=

servicePort=4200

like this i can connect to my unraid servers ... need to rename the .ui.info every time though .... :(

Thank you for replying, I saw my mistake by coping the .info file to the wrong spot. Apparently, reading is fundamental. Unfortunately, I'm still not able to connect. I get the timeout "unable to connect to backup engine" from the splash screen.

Did anyone else notice in windows 7 that you have to edit the ui.properties as administrator to be able to save it now? I didn't have to do that before.

This is frustrating. Code42 really fucked us with this update.