[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

I set up crashplan yesterday to make backups of my mac's user folder on my unraid server. I configured it to only run once a day intending not to spin up the array drives permanently. Unfortunately everytime I wake up my mac from sleep, crashplan is spinning up my backup and parity disk and is editing some files in the backup folder. How can I prevent it from doing this? I don't want the drives to spin up everytime a client connects to the server but only when an actual backup is made. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

EDIT:

For anyone else who experience this issue: I've got a workaround for this.

I set my backup share to cache only and started a new backup so crashplan created its backup folder on the cache disk. Then I set the share to not cache and  copied over the one big file that obviously is the actual backup to a corresponding folder on my array. All the small files that are accessed and being written to during the connection stay on the cache disk and my array does not spin up unless an actual backup is made.

I set up crashplan yesterday to make backups of my mac's user folder on my unraid server. I configured it to only run once a day intending not to spin up the array drives permanently. Unfortunately everytime I wake up my mac from sleep, crashplan is spinning up my backup and parity disk and is editing some files in the backup folder. How can I prevent it from doing this? I don't want the drives to spin up everytime a client connects to the server but only when an actual backup is made. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Install Dynamix Cache Directories / Cache_dirs

Install Dynamix Cache Directories / Cache_dirs

are you sure this solves the problem? There are some files that are being written to so I don't think cache_dirs would do anything about it.

are you sure this solves the problem? There are some files that are being written to so I don't think cache_dirs would do anything about it.

If your crashplan is writing when you wake the Mac (likely because you are pointing to the Mac as one of the sources), then you will have at least 1 disk spin up to accommodate the write.

If your crashplan is scanning through all the files to back up to read modified dates/created dates/etc, then this should help.

When using Cache_dir My Crashplan is setup to only check every 6 hours.  My Cache disk spins up when I write something out (mover is once a day), and my Cache disk spins up (when files are on it) when Crashplan hits a 6 hour mark.

When not using Cache_dir all my disks spin up every 6 hours.

If your crashplan is writing when you wake the Mac (likely because you are pointing to the Mac as one of the sources), then you will have at least 1 disk spin up to accommodate the write.

If your crashplan is scanning through all the files to back up to read modified dates/created dates/etc, then this should help.

When using Cache_dir My Crashplan is setup to only check every 6 hours.  My Cache disk spins up when I write something out (mover is once a day), and my Cache disk spins up (when files are on it) when Crashplan hits a 6 hour mark.

When not using Cache_dir all my disks spin up every 6 hours.

That sounds like cache_dirs should improve the scanning speed drastically?! I guess I'll try that out.

I haven't tested crashplan on other client operating systems but mac yet. Is it just a mac thing/issue that crashplan writes to some files when the mac wakes up or is this also happening with other operating systems?

Hi,

Is anyone having problems connecting to the Crashplan Central service since the update? I've followed the posts in the last couple of pages to restore connection from my Windows box to the Crashplan docker, but the backup engine can't connect to the online service.

Any ideas?

SR

I'm having the same issue, I think.  After adding the .ui_info file to my Windows PC AND adding the serviceHost IP address to ui.properties it connects to the server again but requires a password to launch the client.  When I enter the password it says "Unable to connect, check your network."

I tried logging in through their website to adjust the password requirement on Code 42's end but it shows in my server config as not requiring the password to launch client.  Not sure on that one.

Hi,

Is anyone having problems connecting to the Crashplan Central service since the update? I've followed the posts in the last couple of pages to restore connection from my Windows box to the Crashplan docker, but the backup engine can't connect to the online service.

Any ideas?

SR

I haven't been able to connect for the last couple of days.

My Windows Crashplan client (version 4.3) will not connect to the Crashplan engine through a Putty SSH session.  Like everyone else, it was working fine until this 4.3 update.

I have done the following per suggestions in this thread:

-Manually updated Windows client to 4.3 64-bit version (prior 4.2 version was also not connecting)

-Copied .ui.info from the Crashplan docker ID directory to the Crashplan directory on the Windows desktop

-Changed the Crashplan\conf\ui.properties as follows (yes, I uncommented the lines):

serviceHost=192.168.1.10 (My unRAID IP)

servicePort=4200

-Edited my.service.xml in Crashplan docker to set <serviceHost> field to 0.0.0.0 (It was 127.0.0.1)

I did this one at time and tried to connect after each step.  Connection to engine still fails.

Any ideas?

What is the best way to verify that the Crashplan docker engine is also at version 4.3?  I did run a check for updates a couple of times from the Docker tab and it reports up-to-date on all dockers including Crashplan.

EDIT:  Found in the app.log in the Crashplan Log directory that it says the engine version is 4.3.  So, I now have a 4.3 client that cannot connect to the 4.3 backup engine.

I have run into the same situation...can't connect to the instance of Crashplan in Docker on unraid. I probably did the same as some others. I blew away the Docker image and started over to see what is going on and I was able to connect to it right after adding the container back at this point. Of course it acted just like a new installation and as soon as I tried to login to the instance it gave me a message that it was updating and then it locked. So, apparently it is trying to update, but is failing as a Docker image. I haven't been able to determine a work around...I think that something will have to be modified in the Docker image to get it working again.

I have submitted a ticket to code 42 requesting that they change the link to a more generic "latest" link. That way if you do attempt to create a new container you should be able to just download the latest version, and not have to do a download then an upgrade. This would still require a change on the source repository. However, the link would only have to be changed one more time in the source repository.

My Windows Crashplan client (version 4.3) will not connect to the Crashplan engine through a Putty SSH session.  Like everyone else, it was working fine until this 4.3 update.

I have done the following per suggestions in this thread:

-Manually updated Windows client to 4.3 64-bit version (prior 4.2 version was also not connecting)

-Copied .ui.info from the Crashplan docker ID directory to the Crashplan directory on the Windows desktop

-Changed the Crashplan\conf\ui.properties as follows (yes, I uncommented the lines):

serviceHost=192.168.1.10 (My unRAID IP)

servicePort=4200

-Edited my.service.xml in Crashplan docker to set <serviceHost> field to 0.0.0.0 (It was 127.0.0.1)

I did this one at time and tried to connect after each step.  Connection to engine still fails.

Any ideas?

What is the best way to verify that the Crashplan docker engine is also at version 4.3?  I did run a check for updates a couple of times from the Docker tab and it reports up-to-date on all dockers including Crashplan.

EDIT:  Found in the app.log in the Crashplan Log directory that it says the engine version is 4.3.  So, I now have a 4.3 client that cannot connect to the 4.3 backup engine.

did you put the UI file in the appdata/crashplan folder ?

not in program files/ crashplan folder as then it won't work.....

please rename first the current ui file in the appdata/crashplan folder as that one is the one for your windows session.....

did you put the UI file in the appdata/crashplan folder ?

not in program files/ crashplan folder as then it won't work.....

please rename first the current ui file in the appdata/crashplan folder as that one is the one for your windows session.....

My bad, I read c:\ProgramData\Crashplan and my brain saw c:\ProgramFiles\Crashplan.  I have Crashplan installed in a different path so I put the .ui_info file in {path to Crashplan} directory.  I have now copied it to c:\ProgramData\Crashplan.  There was another .ui_info file there which I renamed.  However, I still cannot get the client connected to the backup engine with the other ui.properties settings.

The only way I can get it to connect is to comment out the "serviceHost [iP address of unRAID server]" line in ui.properties and set service port to 4243 (not 4200).  This is what this file looked like prior to upgrade to 4.3 and all was working well.

However, when the client connects it does not recognize any of the backup sets defined on my unRAID server and acts like I have no Crashplan subscription.  It is like it is starting over with no Crashplan license.  If I enter the license key in the Windows client it warns me the license is in use by my unRAID instance and that all backup data will be erased if I transfer the license to the Windows instance.

????????

I finally got CrashPlan working after the 4.3 upgrade.  Here is what I had to do to get Windows 4.3 client to connect to the CrashPlan engine running on unRAID:

- set service port to 4200 in ui.properties in Crashplan folder on Windows client

- copy .ui_info from CrashPlan docker ID folder to C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan (renaming existing .ui_info)

Now, here is the additional step that got it to work for me:

For CrashPlan on Windows, there is a file named ui_<account name>.properties in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf

It contains the line servicePort=4243 which apparently overrides the <path to CrashPlan>\conf\ui.properties setting of servicePort=4200

Changing servicePort=4243 to servicePort=4200 in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf\ui_<account name>.properties made the connection work for me.

After 5 years of trouble free use of CrashPlan and unRAID it's turned into a nightmare.  My server stopped backing up about 2 weeks ago.  Fought through the client and server connection issues and now I have this in my server logs...

07.10.15 11:56:35.274 INFO    W721685851_Authorize com.backup42.service.peer.Authorizer    ] AUTH:: Authority address: central.crashplan.com/216.17.8.11
[07.10.15 11:56:35.288 INFO    W721685851_Authorize com.backup42.service.peer.Authorizer    ] AUTH:: Error = CPErrors.Global.CPC_UNAVAILABLE : [central.crashplan.com:443]
[07.10.15 11:56:35.295 INFO    W721685851_Authorize com.backup42.service.ui.UIController    ] UserActionResponse: LoginResponseMessage@958050516[ session=697590079208731733, errors=[CPErrors.Global.CPC_UNAVAILABLE : [central.crashplan.com:443]] ]{}
[07.10.15 11:56:35.296 INFO    W721685851_Authorize com.backup42.service.peer.Authorizer    ] AUTH:: *** END *** Failed after 1min 0sec
[07.10.15 11:57:25.304 INFO    W771295025_SystemWat ckup42.service.peer.CPCAutoRegisterRetry] Remove AutoRegister retry system check, no longer needed.
[07.10.15 11:58:25.307 INFO    W771295025_SystemWat om.backup42.service.peer.CPCConnectCheck] Disconnect from CPC after 1min 0sec
[07.10.15 11:58:25.308 INFO    W771295025_SystemWat com.backup42.service.peer.PeerController] DISCONNECT and REMOVE CPC

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the CrashPlan servers?

I have connected!  This is trying my patience.

Hello all,

I'm still struggling with this one...I have tried the configuration changes suggested to try and connect to the engine on unRaid. I  also us the Crashplan Desktop Docker image and everything seems to indicate that the engine on unRaid is hung trying to upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3. So, if I try to connect remotely with the configuration changes suggested, I get the splash screen that says 4.3 (I'm assuming because the Windows instance updated successfully) and that is as far as it gets, it just hangs there and I have to kill it in the task manager. If I try going through RDP to the Crashplan Desktop Docker, it then shows 4.2. As mentioned earlier and it hangs the same way as trying to connect remotely. I did end up renewing the Docker image and was able to get it to start fresh and saw a message in the Crashplan window when I was trying to login that it was busy upgrading and that was when it locked up and starting showing this same behavior. So, at this point, I'm left thinking that the Crashplan engine in the Docker image isn't completing the upgrade for some reason. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Thanx!

Hello all,

I'm still struggling with this one...I have tried the configuration changes suggested to try and connect to the engine on unRaid. I  also us the Crashplan Desktop Docker image and everything seems to indicate that the engine on unRaid is hung trying to upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3. So, if I try to connect remotely with the configuration changes suggested, I get the splash screen that says 4.3 (I'm assuming because the Windows instance updated successfully) and that is as far as it gets, it just hangs there and I have to kill it in the task manager. If I try going through RDP to the Crashplan Desktop Docker, it then shows 4.2. As mentioned earlier and it hangs the same way as trying to connect remotely. I did end up renewing the Docker image and was able to get it to start fresh and saw a message in the Crashplan window when I was trying to login that it was busy upgrading and that was when it locked up and starting showing this same behavior. So, at this point, I'm left thinking that the Crashplan engine in the Docker image isn't completing the upgrade for some reason. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Thanx!

I've got the exact same issue.  I've gotten it to work a few times but the service keeps terminating itself and it won't start back up.  Not sure what to do from here, everything was working fine for the longest time.

I did manage to get this working again. I ended up making several changes back and forth, but in the end, here is what I think the only changes that need to be made. The ".ui_info" file in the Windows folder "C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan" needs to be the same as the one on unRaid. Apparently this was a change in the the latest version to ensure that only a known UI can connect to the engine. So, you can either copy the file over from unRaid to Windows or just copy and paste the contents of the file...either will work. Then modify the ui.properties file in "C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf" on Windows to have the serviceHost=<unraid server IP>, servicePort=4243, just like it has always worked before. The issue that I was seeing using the Crashplan Desktop Docker was because it is stuck at 4.2, so it can't be used as all since the update. Once I did that, everything worked as it should and then I just commented out the lines in the ui.properties so that it would connect locally and all worked fine. You only have to do the .ui_info change on the remote instance that you are trying to connect from to unRaid, not all the machines that are backing up to unRaid.

Let's indicate this docker will need constant updates by the creator for it work properly. I "think" my engine is running but I'm unable to connect to it and I don't have time to learn how to create my own dockers.

i think the best plan of attack is to have a single Crashplan docker container that is slimmed down version of a lightweight linux.  Standalone, single instance.  That way everything can be updated as it should be by Code42.  As long as Crashplan on linux is supported, this docker will work.

I know very little about Docker, but I'm going to try and get this working on my own.  If I do, I'll share what I find.

This is fairly easy to modify to get started...

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/blob/master/crashplan-desktop/install.sh

Let's indicate this docker will need constant updates by the creator for it work properly. I "think" my engine is running but I'm unable to connect to it and I don't have time to learn how to create my own dockers.

i think the best plan of attack is to have a single Crashplan docker container that is slimmed down version of a lightweight linux.  Standalone, single instance.  That way everything can be updated as it should be by Code42.  As long as Crashplan on linux is supported, this docker will work.

I know very little about Docker, but I'm going to try and get this working on my own.  If I do, I'll share what I find.

This is fairly easy to modify to get started...

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/blob/master/crashplan-desktop/install.sh

Probably could figure this out but when the editing is all over I wouldn't know what to do with the file. This would be a manual install right from the command line? I know dockers would the preferred way, but would creating a VM for Crashplan be an option? I certainly have the resources and power and won't have to worry about two separate dockers.