[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Hi folks - my server is built and seems to be running fine.

I started down the unRAID path as my Synology NAS died and I wanted to roll my own. And unRAID looked to have good Crashplan support.

I think I have the base docker installed and running ok. But I am struggling to get the Crashplan-desktop docker to work. I attach a screen shot of that shows the settings I have used (which may be wrong).

The error message I am getting is the following:

root@localhost:# /usr/bin/docker run -d --name="CrashPlan-Desktop" --net="bridge" -e TZ="Europe/London" -p 3389:3389/tcp -v "/mnt/user/appdata/crashplan-desktop":"/config":rw --volumes-from CrashPlan gfjardim/crashplan-desktop

161be646078a3c9eb9d7a6771e4ce94325f81361670b378b36ea80d4ca249492

time="2015-07-26T16:20:45+01:00" level=fatal msg="Error response from daemon: Cannot start container 161be646078a3c9eb9d7a6771e4ce94325f81361670b378b36ea80d4ca249492: Bind for 0.0.0.0:3389 failed: port is already allocated"

It looks to me like there may be a configuration file that needs updated with my unRAID server IP?

Another question: can you access the unRAID crashplan server via the windows app? If so, how?

Many thanks!

clip.jpg.aaeb3abad388eed677b09a2d97936406.jpg

You do not need the 3389 port mapping for the CrashPlan Engine, just the desktop docker.  Get rid of that mapping as it is causing you problems.

You should also get rid of the /config mapping on the CrashPlan-Desktop as --volumes-from CrashPlan (looks like you may have something extra there as well) is all you need.

See my examples below:

CrashPlan_Mappings.png.74987f172e8f05c6867fb1f7aad39464.png

CrashPlan_Extra_Params.png.9633df37386f70059eb09dcd929eea63.png

Another question: can you access the unRAID crashplan server via the windows app? If so, how?

Many thanks!

Yes, you can use the CrashPlan Windows client to access the CrashPlan engine on unRAID.  I use both the Windows client (with or without SSH tunnel) and the MATE CrashPlan-Desktop and both work equally well.

See http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer for configuring Windows client to work with CrashPlan on unRAID.  This procedure documents the SSH tunnel method with PuTTY, but, it can be setup to work without the SSH tunnel as documented in the first posts on page 1 of this discussion topic. 

I originally had trouble getting the Windows client to connect without the PuTTY SSH tunnel, but, thanks to this forum, I eventually got it all sorted out properly.

I am still having problems connecting to the Crashplan Docker. Everything seems to be backing up fine, but I can not connect from either my Windows PC (using SSH tunnel) or via the Mate Desktop. All the .ui_info  files are the same. I've reloaded the Mate desktop and played with the ServerHost and ServicePort settings on both clients with no effect. Mate desktop just times out and the Windows client ALWAYS connects locally.

Any thoughts?  It would be terrific if Limetech created/supported an official CP Docker (or something like it). It could be a pain to have to keep up with all the modifications CP seems to have been making recently.  Thanks

Are the following settings the same in my.service.xml in both C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf and <path to your Crashplan docker setup files>\conf?

<serviceUIConfig>

<serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>

<servicePort>4243</servicePort>

I found that if the settings were different, it didn't matter what was defined in the my.service.xml in the docker conf folder; the settings in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf\my.service.xml overrode the server side settings.

I am looking to setup crashplan for unraid, will I be able to use the one user service only or multiple since some setting have to be configure thru windows? Also, can everything be backup on unraid directly after setting up on docker? Thanks

CrashPlan lets you backup free between computers.  You only have to pay to backup to CrashPlan Central (cloud backup).  In my case, I backup unRAID shares to Crashplan Central, so, I needed to purchase a license.  Even though I run a Windows client (or RDP through MATE CrashPlan-Desktop docker) only one license is required since I am only backing up unRAID to the cloud.  The Windows or MATE client is just for management purposes.  If I wanted to backup my Windows machine to CrashPlan Central, that would require another license.

You can backup a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer to unRAID or an external drive without a CrashPlan license.  You can also backup to a friend's computer or a friend to you without a license.  Only cloud backup requires a license.

See https://www.code42.com/store/.

I am looking to setup crashplan for unraid, will I be able to use the one user service only or multiple since some setting have to be configure thru windows? Also, can everything be backup on unraid directly after setting up on docker? Thanks

CrashPlan lets you backup free between computers.  You only have to pay to backup to CrashPlan Central (cloud backup).  In my case, I backup unRAID shares to Crashplan Central, so, I needed to purchase a license.  Even though I run a Windows client (or RDP through MATE CrashPlan-Desktop docker) only one license is required since I am only backing up unRAID to the cloud.  The Windows or MATE client is just for management purposes.  If I wanted to backup my Windows machine to CrashPlan Central, that would require another license.

You can backup a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer to unRAID or an external drive without a CrashPlan license.  You can also backup to a friend's computer or a friend to you without a license.  Only cloud backup requires a license.

See https://www.code42.com/store/.

Awesome, I am just looking to backup up my unraid to the cloud, going to just purchase one license then. As far as the management software goes, as long as I do the initial setup through windows, does the computer have to remained on or will everything be done on unraid automatically?

I am still having problems connecting to the Crashplan Docker. Everything seems to be backing up fine, but I can not connect from either my Windows PC (using SSH tunnel) or via the Mate Desktop. All the .ui_info  files are the same. I've reloaded the Mate desktop and played with the ServerHost and ServicePort settings on both clients with no effect. Mate desktop just times out and the Windows client ALWAYS connects locally.

Any thoughts?  It would be terrific if Limetech created/supported an official CP Docker (or something like it). It could be a pain to have to keep up with all the modifications CP seems to have been making recently.  Thanks

Are the following settings the same in my.service.xml in both C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf and <path to your Crashplan docker setup files>\conf?

<serviceUIConfig>

<serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>

<servicePort>4243</servicePort>

I found that if the settings were different, it didn't matter what was defined in the my.service.xml in the docker conf folder; the settings in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf\my.service.xml overrode the server side settings.

Thanks Hoopster. Changed my Docker to the above and now the Mate container connects fine. Still can't get the old fashion way using the Windows client and Putty. Made sure the same things were set on the Windows machine but it keeps loading the local client despite SSHing the Service port or setting the IP/port.  Well at least I have some way to manage the Docker.

My cache disk died and I had to reinstall the docker (everything on the unraid side), the Windows desktop being backed up still has the original settings.

Crashplan version is 4.3 and docker starts just fine.

Now I have this in my ui.properties file

#Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005
#serviceHost=192.169.1.49
#servicePort=4243
#pollerPeriod=1000  # 1 second
#connectRetryDelay=10000  # 10 seconds
#connectRetryAttempts=1
#showWelcome=true

#font.small=
#font.default=
#font.title=
#font.message.header=
#font.message.body=
#font.tab=

serviceHost=192.168.1.49
servicePort=4243

The ip address is correct. I am sure of that.

When I open crashplan-desktop it says my server is offline. It also mentions 4242 port at the end although in ui properties file I have 4243 everywhere.

Just for confirmation, I have pasted the contents of the crashplan ui properties file of both, the crashplan desktop instance and the crashplan server instance from my pc respectively

Crashplan Desktop

#serviceHost=127.0.0.1
#servicePort=4243
#connectRetryAttempts=3
#showWelcome=true

#font.small=
#font.default=
#font.title=
#font.message.header=
#font.message.body=
#font.tab=

serviceHost=127.0.0.1
servicePort=4243

Crashplan Server

#serviceHost=192.168.1.49
#servicePort=4243
#connectRetryAttempts=3
#showWelcome=true

#font.small=
#font.default=
#font.title=
#font.message.header=
#font.message.body=
#font.tab=

serviceHost=192.168.1.49
servicePort=4243

Can someone help with how to troubleshoot?

P.S. Is port forwarding required? Don't remember doing that the last time.

Awesome, I am just looking to backup up my unraid to the cloud, going to just purchase one license then. As far as the management software goes, as long as I do the initial setup through windows, does the computer have to remained on or will everything be done on unraid automatically?

CrashPlan engine is "set it and forget it."  Backup, once configured, is automatically happening in the background without the client running.  You never have to connect to the backup engine on unRAID unless you want to make a configuration change.

I cannot seem to get CrashPlan-Desktop to install.

When I first added the container I was thinking that I needed to do volume mapping.  Then I saw ljm42 post

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all configuration for CrashPlan server or desktop.  I guess that is what makes troubleshooting the problem a bit different for everyone.  Some combination of the solutions mentioned is this thread will likely help most, but, there does not seem to be one config to rule them all. 

My config is working fine without the disks mapping but needed the .ui_info fix:

Remove the volume mapping for /config -> /mnt/cache/appdata/crashplan-desktop.  that conflicts with  --volumes-from CrashPlan

After removing the container and the image I tried again.

This time I I did not change anything after hitting add.  I left the volume mapping empty I left the port mapping the way it was (Container 3389 > host 3389) and I had left the --volumes-from CrashPlan in the Extra Parameters section.

After hitting add I get the following:

Command:

root@localhost:# /usr/bin/docker run -d --name="CrashPlan-Desktop" --net="bridge" -e TZ="America/New_York" -p 3389:3389/tcp --volumes-from CrashPlan gfjardim/crashplan-desktop

time="2015-07-30T17:01:23-04:00" level=fatal msg="Error response from daemon: Could not apply volumes of non-existent container "CrashPlan"."

The command failed.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  Are there unRaid settings that I need to change.

I am running 6.0.1

This is a fresh install of 6.0.1

My docker image is at the root of my cache drive mnt/cache/docker.img

I have my appdata on the cache drive as a cache only share mnt/usr/appdata

I deleted any share that I created specifically for crash plan during my first attempts.

Thanks for any advice.

Albin

When I first added the container I was thinking that I needed to do volume mapping.  Then I saw ljm42 post

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all configuration for CrashPlan server or desktop.  I guess that is what makes troubleshooting the problem a bit different for everyone.  Some combination of the solutions mentioned is this thread will likely help most, but, there does not seem to be one config to rule them all. 

My config is working fine without the disks mapping but needed the .ui_info fix:

Remove the volume mapping for /config -> /mnt/cache/appdata/crashplan-desktop.  that conflicts with  --volumes-from CrashPlan

This time I I did not change anything after hitting add.  I left the volume mapping empty I left the port mapping the way it was (Container 3389 > host 3389) and I had left the --volumes-from CrashPlan in the Extra Parameters section.

Command:

root@localhost:# /usr/bin/docker run -d --name="CrashPlan-Desktop" --net="bridge" -e TZ="America/New_York" -p 3389:3389/tcp --volumes-from CrashPlan gfjardim/crashplan-desktop

time="2015-07-30T17:01:23-04:00" level=fatal msg="Error response from daemon: Could not apply volumes of non-existent container "CrashPlan"."

The command failed.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  Are there unRaid settings that I need to change.

I am running 6.0.1

I deleted any share that I created specifically for crash plan during my first attempts.

Thanks for any advice.

Albin

Have you installed the CrashPlan docker (Not the Desktop version) You need both, CrashPlan is the service and the Desktop is just a conduit to configuring the CrashPlan docker.

Command:

The command failed.

I am running 6.0.1

Thanks for any advice.

Albin

Have you installed the CrashPlan docker (Not the Desktop version) You need both, CrashPlan is the service and the Desktop is just a conduit to configuring the CrashPlan docker.

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.  I installed the crashplan service.  Looks like things are working now.  Thanks for your help!

Is there a way to backup the flash share using Crashplan docker?  I figured out that in the Crashplan Desktop docker app, all of the user shares are listed under the "data" folder, including the the appdata, docker.img and other contents of the cache drive... however I have searched through the folder tree and cannot find the flash drive anywhere.

Flash is probably the most important content to back up... how can this be done with the Crashplan docker?

Is there a way to backup the flash share using Crashplan docker?  I figured out that in the Crashplan Desktop docker app, all of the user shares are listed under the "data" folder, including the the appdata, docker.img and other contents of the cache drive... however I have searched through the folder tree and cannot find the flash drive anywhere.

Flash is probably the most important content to back up... how can this be done with the Crashplan docker?

Interesting question - I like and am also keen on this.

I tried creating a volume mapping to /boot, but that didn't want to work (/boot doesn't even show up in the host path drop down).

I created a soft link from /cache/boot to /boot (ln -s /cache/boot /boot). But this, to me at least, is quite a large security risk. It could inadvertently give access to the flash files where you don't want it, especially if /cache is shared.

Another option that springs to mind... create a backup folder on either the cache or a disk / user drive. Don't export it and create a cron job to copy all files periodically. Or do this manually each time you upgrade or change anything (which is what I do - each time I upgrade I backup the entire flash drive to my windows file server which is subsequently backed up to CrashPlan anyhow :)).

UPDATE

Seems you can do this:

[*]Create a mapping in the advanced settings. I did /boot to /boot, and made it read only.

[*]Open the CrashPlan client and click the Change button on the backup tab

[*]Check the "show hidden files" checkbox in the client (I'm using the CrashPlan-client via RDP from the host).

[*]Once you've done this, all sorts of wonderful folders spring to life. Including /boot.

[*]Select it and ok away, presto it is backing up (238 files for 700 MB in my case)

Currently backing up boot > bzroot (7.59% @ 2.6Mbps)

I tried creating a volume mapping to /boot, but that didn't want to work (/boot doesn't even show up in the host path drop down).

I created a soft link from /cache/boot to /boot (ln -s /cache/boot /boot). But this, to me at least, is quite a large security risk. It could inadvertently give access to the flash files where you don't want it, especially if /cache is shared.

Another option that springs to mind... create a backup folder on either the cache or a disk / user drive. Don't export it and create a cron job to copy all files periodically. Or do this manually each time you upgrade or change anything (which is what I do - each time I upgrade I backup the entire flash drive to my windows file server which is subsequently backed up to CrashPlan anyhow :)).

UPDATE

Seems you can do this:

[*]Create a mapping in the advanced settings. I did /boot to /boot, and made it read only.

[*]Check the "show hidden files" checkbox in the client (I'm using the CrashPlan-client via RDP from the host).

[*]Once you've done this, all sorts of wonderful folders spring to life. Including /boot.

[*]Select it and ok away, presto it is backing up (238 files for 700 MB in my case)

Glad you were able to figure it out :-)

Would you be able to explain where this advanced settings file is and what exactly I need to do to create this mapping?

UPDATE

Seems you can do this:

Glad you were able to figure it out :-)

Would you be able to explain where this advanced settings file is and what exactly I need to do to create this mapping?

There is a slider in the upper right to enable advanced settings.

Since this is about backing up the flash, you should be aware that unRAID stores the array configuration and start/stop status of the array in /boot/config/super.dat. This is important to know for 2 reasons.

The most important reason is that you don't want to restore a backup with a different array configuration than you actually have.

There was a user that made a backup of his flash, and after that, he upgraded his parity drive and used the old parity as a data drive. Later when trying to solve some problem, he restored his old flash backup. Unfortunately, this made unRAID think that his old parity (now containing data) was still the parity disk, and it began writing parity to it. Not good.

The other reason is that if you make a backup of the flash with the array started, and you later restore that backup and boot, then unRAID will think that the array wasn't stopped before it was shutdown, and it will do a correcting parity check due to an unclean shutdown.

Fully aware of those two potential issues but thanks again for pointing them out.

From what I understand though, Crashplan is constantly monitoring the file system and if it detects changes it will re-back up those files... so if one were to make a configuration change like that, shouldn't Crashplan notice that change shortly thereafter and back up the new configuration?

Ok I found the advanced settings slider...

This "mapping"... do I do this under the Environment Variables heading and put "/boot" in both the variable name and variable value fields?  That doesn't seem right..

Or do I put /boot under both corresponding container volume and host path fields under the volume mappings heading (which does not require advanced settings slider to be toggled)?

Ok I found the advanced settings slider...

This "mapping"... do I do this under the Environment Variables heading and put "/boot" in both the variable name and variable value fields?  That doesn't seem right..

Or do I put /boot under both corresponding container volume and host path fields under the volume mappings heading (which does not require advanced settings slider to be toggled)?

Shouldn't need to.  I just did the following in the volume mappings with no further changes.  I called mine "/unraid_boot" in the CrashPlan docker, set it to map to Unraid's /boot mount point as Read Only, and then used the CrashPlan UI to select and backup that entire directory.  Mine didn't show up as a hidden folder, so it was all pretty straightforward.

Screen_Shot_2015-08-01_at_6_15.46_PM.png.afdb9d51f922ad329daa33068b45b725.png

Thanks... I just realized something when I tried this:

1) If you do a /boot to /boot mapping, then when you select show hidden files, your unraid flash shows up in the boot folder.

2) If you do any other mapping to the host /boot (e.g. /unraid_flash to /boot) then you will see that volume mapping in the crashplan desktop app without having to turn on show hidden files... but in this case, if you turn on show hidden files, then the /boot folder appears empty.

So, you can do it either way I guess.  I went with option 2 only because if I am viewing my crashplan backup from the website or say an iPhone app, it will be easier for me to recognize that the folder contains the unraid flash contents vs a "boot" folder which could seem ambiguous among all of the other folders being backed up.

Thanks for the help.

[Apologies for cross-post between the two associated features.]

Curious if anyone else has found this issue:

I had been using SNAP to mount a disk outside of my array onto which I put my friend's CrashPlan backup. Was working fine for many months. So of course I decide to change from SNAP to Unassigned Devices. It seemed to mount perfectly fine to /mnt/disks/CP_[friend_name] and I could see the file system via terminal. I had the docker container map the volume as it had been, from /mnt/disks/CP_[friend_name] to /CP_[friend_name]. But when CrashPlan tried to back up to it, it ran out of space, which made no sense since it's a 4 TB disk with initially 2 TB of data on it (and then 0 data on it when I wiped the file system and put on a new one). It looked like CrashPlan was writing to the docker container file system, to a folder it made called disks/CP_[friend_name]. Of course it ran out of space after about 2.5 GB since I'm pretty sure it hit the docker image limit.

Here's where it gets interesting. When I stopped using Unassigned Devices to mount it and instead just mounted it manually in the go file, CrashPlan worked fine and used the disk like it should.

Anyway, anyone else have experience using Unassigned Devices to mount a disk outside of the array for use as a CrashPlan destination?

Thanks,

TD

[Apologies for cross-post between the two associated features.]

Curious if anyone else has found this issue:

I had been using SNAP to mount a disk outside of my array onto which I put my friend's CrashPlan backup. Was working fine for many months. So of course I decide to change from SNAP to Unassigned Devices. It seemed to mount perfectly fine to /mnt/disks/CP_[friend_name] and I could see the file system via terminal. I had the docker container map the volume as it had been, from /mnt/disks/CP_[friend_name] to /CP_[friend_name]. But when CrashPlan tried to back up to it, it ran out of space, which made no sense since it's a 4 TB disk with initially 2 TB of data on it (and then 0 data on it when I wiped the file system and put on a new one). It looked like CrashPlan was writing to the docker container file system, to a folder it made called disks/CP_[friend_name]. Of course it ran out of space after about 2.5 GB since I'm pretty sure it hit the docker image limit.

Here's where it gets interesting. When I stopped using Unassigned Devices to mount it and instead just mounted it manually in the go file, CrashPlan worked fine and used the disk like it should.

Anyway, anyone else have experience using Unassigned Devices to mount a disk outside of the array for use as a CrashPlan destination?

Thanks,

TD

I have some similar weird issues with containers that are using my smb mounts I created with unassigned devices.  Within unRaid, I can browse the mount points no problems.  But the containers using XRDP (Guacamole) don't recognize them, and instead store any information within the docker.img.

Haven't gotten around yet to diagnosing the issue (manually mounting the smb's) to see where the issue lies.

My appdata folder is on the array and it's worked fine for me for several months now. A friend of mine set up an unRAID box and we Crashplan back and forth to each other. Works great and free offsite backup!

Barakthecat, how is this still working out for you. I'm interested in setting this up with a buddy but wanted to get more details. Basically just how hard was it? Any tips / tricks? I'm assuming you need static IPs? or does crashplan.com facilitate that even in the free version?  Thanks in advance.

I'm hitting a snag configuring the client to use the password. 

I go in the GUI and check the "Require account password to access Crashplan desktop application" but the setting doesn't stick.  It won't save.

This is a fresh crashplan-desktop docker install but my crashplan docker itself is pretty old.

I'm guessing that is going to change the config on the server side so I checked the permissions on the conf directory.  Only root had write permissions to the directory(755) and most of the files (644) in but I gave 777/666 to everything and that did not help.

I can change other configuration settings in the client like backup files.

Any ideas?