[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

I assume now based on your screenshot that I should have this in my pull-down?  I added "https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/master/crashplan" to my template repositories..  is that not correct?

You need to add https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/templates to Docker Repositories instead.

That didn't work either, but seeing where I got when I went to that site with a browser, I was able to figure out THIS path:

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/templates/gfjardim

Now, I seem to be getting somewhere..  It's installing now - We'll see how it goes!!  Thank you SO MUCH to everyone for all this help!!

EUREKA!  I am FINALLY backing up my UnRaid!!  Thank you to everyone who helped, and everyone who put so much work into the whole docker container system for crashplan!!

SO..  The solution was to

1:  ADD the correct repository URL to my docker config: 

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/templates/gfjardim

worked for me

2:  The settings on the server-side seem to be automatically set to allow any client to connect, in the current version of the container..  I did not have to do the "change 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0" and the other changes in that config xml file.

3:  I did have to change the server IP to my Unraid IP in the conf\ui.properties on the client (Windows) side

4:  I had to copy the .identity file (HIDDEN on Unraid /crashplan/id directory) to the \programdata\crashplan directory

5:  I also copied the .ui_info file from the unraid (also in /id directory) to the \programdata\crashplan directory.  I don't know if this was needed, but I did it, because I saw some reference to it in this thread.

I think the biggest thing is that I never saw that URL anywhere else in any other post..  I have seen and tried at least 3 other URLs, none of which had worked.

Thanks again, and I hope this helps someone else!

-Steve

@extremeaudio, @172pilot -- I have put together a doc called "A tutorial on how to setup CrashPlan on unRAID6". It got a lot bigger than expected so you need to download it from my Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sl1hssa0anc2k0f/A%20tutorial%20on%20how%20to%20setup%20CrashPlan%20on%20unRAID6.pdf?dl=0

This doc is based on my experiences on how to get it working and with some luck it might help others as well.

Feel free to comment!

This needs to be added to the OP and/or the WIKI please :)

@extremeaudio, @172pilot -- I have put together a doc called "A tutorial on how to setup CrashPlan on unRAID6". It got a lot bigger than expected so you need to download it from my Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sl1hssa0anc2k0f/A%20tutorial%20on%20how%20to%20setup%20CrashPlan%20on%20unRAID6.pdf?dl=0

This doc is based on my experiences on how to get it working and with some luck it might help others as well.

Feel free to comment!

This needs to be added to the OP and/or the WIKI please :)

Not sure about the WIKI as it is today for this type of this type of documentation, it’s more focused on the unRAID system. Let’s see if gfjardim finds it usable. Would guess there are ways to improve the document once I get some feedback from the folks.

At least I added a download link in my signature to start with…  8)

Would guess there are ways to improve the document once I get some feedback from the folks.

Only thing I'd say is to add the URL for the container to the doc..  This was the biggest missing piece from your doc as far as I was concerned..  Thanks for doing that for everyone!

-Steve

Would guess there are ways to improve the document once I get some feedback from the folks.

Only thing I'd say is to add the URL for the container to the doc..  This was the biggest missing piece from your doc as far as I was concerned..  Thanks for doing that for everyone!

-Steve

Thanks! Will do...

-Steve

All the correct URL's for every repository is listed here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37958.0

Not sure about the WIKI as it is today for this type of this type of documentation, it’s more focused on the unRAID system. Let’s see if gfjardim finds it usable. Would guess there are ways to improve the document once I get some feedback from the folks.

I've been trying to figure out how to get Crashplan working for a while now. This is the first guide I've found that helped me get it up and running. I'm the type who has just enough tech savvy to break stuff, and not quite enough to fix it most of the time, so this is just what I needed. Thanks!

I've been trying to figure out how to get Crashplan working for a while now. This is the first guide I've found that helped me get it up and running. I'm the type who has just enough tech savvy to break stuff, and not quite enough to fix it most of the time, so this is just what I needed. Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback!

Ok this is weird. I just got this working, but then had to shut down the server for a bit, and now I can't access Crashplan Desktop. Crashplan appears to be running fine, and my Windows computer is backing up to Unraid without issue, but I'd still like to be able to access the desktop, even if only occasionally. I tried restarting both Crashplan and Crashplan Desktop, then tried rebooting the server again, none of which helped.

From reading here, I am getting the impression that I should be able to control the Crashplan server from my Windows client, but I'm not seeing how to do that. I can see how to use it to back up my Windows pc to Unraid, but not how to backup Unraid. Am I mistaken that this is possible? If it is, then I won't worry about the Crashplan desktop docker. Can anyone point me in the right direction either way?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Mark

If I understand correctly you don’t backup anything to the CrashPlan cloud, the intention is firstly to do a backup of your PC to unRAID?

I don’t really understand your configuration, have you installed the CrashPlan Docker on unRAID and the CrashPlan Windows app on your PC?

If I understand correctly you don’t backup anything to the CrashPlan cloud, the intention is firstly to do a backup of your PC to unRAID?

I don’t really understand your configuration, have you installed the CrashPlan Docker on unRAID and the CrashPlan Windows app on your PC?

I'm not sure who you were asking, but just for my personal configuration, here's what I do..

Crashplan can be used for free, to backup between your own, or your friends/family PCs, and/or you can use the crashplan cloud as a destination if you subscribe.  Personally, I subscribe, and ONLY use their cloud as a target, so I installed both the server and the client docker containers on UnRaid, and I've started the long (probably year long) process of backing up 16+tb to their cloud...  I first picked a few select "important" directories and watched it backup over the first week, and then added some "second tier" directories which now say it will take about 60 days to complete, then I'll probably just click on the /mnt/user level, and let it backup all my shares, and just see how long it takes...

I could use UnRaid as a target for my other PCs, but I have a Microsoft "Home Server" which does a good job at backing up and restoring Windows boxes, so I use that, as the target for my various PCs, then I use Crashplan to backup the home server too..

Sorry I wasn't more clear. My pc is backing up to Unraid, and Unraid is backed up to the cloud. I have the Crashplan & Crashplan Desktop Dockers installed, and the Windows app on my pc.

Thanks,

Mark

Sorry I wasn't more clear. My pc is backing up to Unraid, and Unraid is backed up to the cloud. I have the Crashplan & Crashplan Desktop Dockers installed, and the Windows app on my pc.

Thanks,

Mark

So you have CrashPlan running on your PC and backing up the files from your PC to your unRAID server. If that is the case you have both the server and the client running on your PC to be able to do this. How is it configured to do this, is it setup do a backup to a folder or between computers (in the destination setting on your PC).

If you are doing as described above you will not be able to use CrashPlan (client) on your PC to connect to the CrashPlan (server) Docker on your unRAID.

If you have used my guide to change the settings on your PC as well as on unRAID these setting would not work if you are doing the above.

The backup of your unRAID server to the “cloud” can still be done with the CrashPlan (server) Docker but you need to use the CrashPlan Desktop Docker to configure it.

I haven’t done a configuration as the one you describe so I really have difficulties to give any details on how the configuration should look like.

Has anyone had a problem with the CrashPlan-Desktop stop being able to connect to the CrashPlan container? I've got the Crashplan-Desktop container set with the defaults (3389 for the port, "--volumes-from CrashPlan" set). If I add both containers to Docker, I can get Desktop container to connect and everything works great. After some time (days?), GUI will no longer load. The only way I've been able to fix it is to delete both containers, delete all the files/folders on the unRAID host, add the containers back, and then setup everything from scratch.

At the same time, my 4 CrashPlan clients are actively backing up to the Crashplan container so it's not like Crashplan is dead. I can telnet to 4244 but not to 4243. Any ideas? I'm going to read back through this thread again for the 5th time to see if I missed something. Apparently I missed the tutorial that someone posted earlier.

Has anyone had a problem with the CrashPlan-Desktop stop being able to connect to the CrashPlan container? I've got the Crashplan-Desktop container set with the defaults (3389 for the port, "--volumes-from CrashPlan" set). If I add both containers to Docker, I can get Desktop container to connect and everything works great. After some time (days?), GUI will no longer load. The only way I've been able to fix it is to delete both containers, delete all the files/folders on the unRAID host, add the containers back, and then setup everything from scratch.

At the same time, my 4 CrashPlan clients are actively backing up to the Crashplan container so it's not like Crashplan is dead. I can telnet to 4244 but not to 4243. Any ideas? I'm going to read back through this thread again for the 5th time to see if I missed something. Apparently I missed the tutorial that someone posted earlier.

I haven’t used the config where you backup a PC to unRAID trough CrashPlan so I am just guessing but here are a few things.

Check where the backups from your PCs stored on unRAID, make sure it’s a share on the disk array so they don’t get stored somewhere on the Docker.img (or cache drive if you use that). You can check the how much free space you have on the Docker.img if you go to tab Settings and Docker.

Do you have the CrashPlan Desktop running all the time? You don’t need to have it running once you have configured your backup. Keep it stopped to see if it makes any difference.

Edit: A few more things, check the logs to see if there is something there that looks suspicious.

How much memory do you have? CrashPlan recommend 1 GB per 1 TB data but have 1 GB as default unless you change it. However I don’t believe this should crash your Docker completely as you describe it.

I haven’t used the config where you backup a PC to unRAID trough CrashPlan so I am just guessing but here are a few things.

Check where the backups from your PCs stored on unRAID, make sure it’s a share on the disk array so they don’t get stored somewhere on the Docker.img (or cache drive if you use that). You can check the how much free space you have on the Docker.img if you go to tab Settings and Docker.

Do you have the CrashPlan Desktop running all the time? You don’t need to have it running once you have configured your backup. Keep it stopped to see if it makes any difference.

Edit: A few more things, check the logs to see if there is something there that looks suspicious.

How much memory do you have? CrashPlan recommend 1 GB per 1 TB data but have 1 GB as default unless you change it. However I don’t believe this should crash your Docker completely as you describe it.

All the PC's that backup to the Crashplan container backup to a share on the array and not to the container.

7.04/10.0 GB used on the Docker img file.

I did have it running all the time but I turned that off when I wrote my post a few hours ago.

Server has 8GB of RAM in it and is only using 25% as of right now.

I do see this strangeness in the logs from the other day.

Aug 14 15:32:31 Storage avahi-daemon[9805]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.42.1.

Aug 14 15:32:31 Storage avahi-daemon[9805]: New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.

Aug 14 15:32:31 Storage avahi-daemon[9805]: Registering new address record for 172.17.42.1 on docker0.IPv4.

I'm using a 172.16.x.x subnet so I'll have to figure out what that's all about.

EDIT: OK, figured out the 172.17.42.1 IP address. Must have not updated the ui.properties file the last time. Edited it to 0.0.0.0 and still can't connect with the GUI. I'm about ready to give this up.

So you have CrashPlan running on your PC and backing up the files from your PC to your unRAID server. If that is the case you have both the server and the client running on your PC to be able to do this. How is it configured to do this, is it setup do a backup to a folder or between computers (in the destination setting on your PC).

If you are doing as described above you will not be able to use CrashPlan (client) on your PC to connect to the CrashPlan (server) Docker on your unRAID.

If you have used my guide to change the settings on your PC as well as on unRAID these setting would not work if you are doing the above.

The backup of your unRAID server to the “cloud” can still be done with the CrashPlan (server) Docker but you need to use the CrashPlan Desktop Docker to configure it.

I haven’t done a configuration as the one you describe so I really have difficulties to give any details on how the configuration should look like.

Ok, thanks for that, this makes sense now, but that brings me back to the problem that I'm no longer able to connect to Crashplan Desktop. It was working fine, but then stopped. I didn't change anything, but I did reboot the server. I don't have it set to auto-start, so I started it manually. Here is all that shows up in the log:

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/config.sh...

Current default time zone: 'America/Los_Angeles'

Local time is now: Sun Aug 16 17:33:32 PDT 2015.

Universal Time is now: Mon Aug 17 00:33:32 UTC 2015.

cp: cannot stat ‘/root/wallpapers/*’: No such file or directory

*** An error occurred. Aborting.

*** Shutting down /etc/my_init.d/config.sh (PID 6)...

*** Init system aborted.

*** Killing all processes...

using existing wallpapers etc...

*** An error occurred. Aborting.

*** Shutting down /etc/my_init.d/config.sh (PID 5)...

*** Init system aborted.

*** Killing all processes...

*** Not all processes have exited in time. Forcing them to exit.

Ok, thanks for that, this makes sense now, but that brings me back to the problem that I'm no longer able to connect to Crashplan Desktop. It was working fine, but then stopped. I didn't change anything, but I did reboot the server. I don't have it set to auto-start, so I started it manually. Here is all that shows up in the log:

The log looks about the same on my system so that is probably ok. Did a reboot on my system and have no problem starting the CrashPlan Desktop Docker again and login with remote desktop. Is your Desktop Docker running so it’s only the remote desktop login that fails?

Running out of ideas right now…

The log looks about the same on my system so that is probably ok. Did a reboot on my system and have no problem starting the CrashPlan Desktop Docker again and login with remote desktop. Is your Desktop Docker running so it’s only the remote desktop login that fails?

Yes, that's correct, remote desktop doesn't connect. I've tried restarting the desktop docker, but of course that's not helping. One thing that was happening before it stopped connecting is that it would usually take a couple of login attempts before it would work. I'd usually get an error message with the first, and sometimes the second attempt. Sorry I didn't note what the error message was (it wasn't that the password was incorrect though), but anyway now I'm not even getting the login screen. I should also mention that, although this problem started before upgrading, I did just upgrade to Windows 10.

I'm really confused here. The upside is that from logging in to the Crashplan website, it appears that it is still making progress with the backup, so I guess that's good, but I wish I could still get to the desktop gui. Don't know what I'll do if I need to change anything or add new directories to be backed up. Appreciate your efforts anyway.

Thanks,

Mark

Yes, that's correct, remote desktop doesn't connect. I've tried restarting the desktop docker, but of course that's not helping. One thing that was happening before it stopped connecting is that it would usually take a couple of login attempts before it would work. I'd usually get an error message with the first, and sometimes the second attempt. Sorry I didn't note what the error message was (it wasn't that the password was incorrect though), but anyway now I'm not even getting the login screen. I should also mention that, although this problem started before upgrading, I did just upgrade to Windows 10.

I'm really confused here. The upside is that from logging in to the Crashplan website, it appears that it is still making progress with the backup, so I guess that's good, but I wish I could still get to the desktop gui. Don't know what I'll do if I need to change anything or add new directories to be backed up. Appreciate your efforts anyway.

Thanks,

Mark

I normally use Windows 8.1 but just tested from a Windows 10 home PC and I am able to connect from both. Do you have another PC you could try with? Maybe the problems isn’t really related to the Desktop Docker itself, more like something with your PC or network?

I normally use Windows 8.1 but just tested from a Windows 10 home PC and I am able to connect from both. Do you have another PC you could try with? Maybe the problems isn’t really related to the Desktop Docker itself, more like something with your PC or network?

I don't have another pc, but I just installed the Microsoft remote desktop app on my Android phone and tried it from there. Same results.

Thanks,

Mark