[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

I normally use Windows 8.1 but just tested from a Windows 10 home PC and I am able to connect from both. Do you have another PC you could try with? Maybe the problems isn’t really related to the Desktop Docker itself, more like something with your PC or network?

I don't have another pc, but I just installed the Microsoft remote desktop app on my Android phone and tried it from there. Same results.

Thanks,

Mark

Two more things before I give up on this…  :(

You could try to install the Libre-Mate Docker just to see if you can connect to that one. It’s basically the same Ubuntu desktop that has been used for CrashPlan Desktop. If you have the Community Applications plugin search for it there and add it. Set the mappings to something like this:

/home/ubuntu/.config -> /mnt/cache/Apps/Ubuntu/Config/ and /home/ubuntu/unraid -> /mnt/user/

Make sure CrashPlan Desktop is stopped and that nothing else running is using port 3389. If you can connect to this with Remote Desktop then there is something wrong with the CrashPlan Desktop. If not you might try using another Remote Desktop app on your PC, (mRemoteNG works for me).

Two more things before I give up on this…  :(

You could try to install the Libre-Mate Docker just to see if you can connect to that one. It’s basically the same Ubuntu desktop that has been used for CrashPlan Desktop. If you have the Community Applications plugin search for it there and add it. Set the mappings to something like this:

/home/ubuntu/.config -> /mnt/cache/Apps/Ubuntu/Config/ and /home/ubuntu/unraid -> /mnt/user/

Make sure CrashPlan Desktop is stopped and that nothing else running is using port 3389. If you can connect to this with Remote Desktop then there is something wrong with the CrashPlan Desktop. If not you might try using another Remote Desktop app on your PC, (mRemoteNG works for me).

Tried Libre-Mate, and I wasn't able to connect with Microsoft remote desktop, so I tried mRemoteNG and that worked. Removed Libre-Mate, started Crashplan Desktop, and tried to connect with mRemoteNG, and it didn't work.

Thanks for all the effort anyway

Mark

Just upgraded my unRAID to v6 today. I then installed the CrashPlan & CrashPlan - Desktop containers. After initial install of both containers, I was able to use Remote Desktop to connect to the Desktop container on port 3389. The Desktop app launched without issue, and I was able to change backup settings. Since then, I unmounted my array to do some testing, then re-mounted the array. Now when using Remote Desktop to connect to the Desktop container, CrashPlan will not launch. It gives an error on the splash screen "Unable to connect to the backup engine, retry?" I've removed both containers and images and re-added them fresh. I also tried rebooting unRAID. Not sure what changed that caused the Desktop app to stop working. Any advice? I'm very much an unRAID novice, so there's nothing fancy in my config. With v5 I just set it and forget it. Haven't done much with v6 since the upgrade besides adding CrashPlan Dockers. Thanks!

Just upgraded my unRAID to v6 today. I then installed the CrashPlan & CrashPlan - Desktop containers. After initial install of both containers, I was able to use Remote Desktop to connect to the Desktop container on port 3389. The Desktop app launched without issue, and I was able to change backup settings. Since then, I unmounted my array to do some testing, then re-mounted the array. Now when using Remote Desktop to connect to the Desktop container, CrashPlan will not launch. It gives an error on the splash screen "Unable to connect to the backup engine, retry?" I've removed both containers and images and re-added them fresh. I also tried rebooting unRAID. Not sure what changed that caused the Desktop app to stop working. Any advice? I'm very much an unRAID novice, so there's nothing fancy in my config. With v5 I just set it and forget it. Haven't done much with v6 since the upgrade besides adding CrashPlan Dockers. Thanks!

If the CrashPlan Desktop Docker is unable to connect something must have happened with the CrashPlan Docker. I assume it is running, can something changed your config folder, where is the config folder stored, if it is on the cache drive can it have been moved/changed?

You might have a look on the Guide in my signature to see if that can help. 

If the CrashPlan Desktop Docker is unable to connect something must have happened with the CrashPlan Docker. I assume it is running, can something changed your config folder, where is the config folder stored, if it is on the cache drive can it have been moved/changed?

The CrashPlan Docker was running. I didn't change anything in my config folder. The config is stored on the cache drive. Nothing was moved/changed. Is it recommended to stop the Dockers before stopping the array? That is the only thing I can think of that may have corrupted something. I just removed both CrashPlan dockers, disabled Docker in my settings, deleted the docker.img file from my cache disk, re-enabled Docker in settings, Re-added both CrashPlan Docker containers. Now the CrashPlan GUI is working again through Remote Desktop. Thanks!

The CrashPlan Docker was running. I didn't change anything in my config folder. The config is stored on the cache drive. Nothing was moved/changed. Is it recommended to stop the Dockers before stopping the array? That is the only thing I can think of that may have corrupted something. I just removed both CrashPlan dockers, disabled Docker in my settings, deleted the docker.img file from my cache disk, re-enabled Docker in settings, Re-added both CrashPlan Docker containers. Now the CrashPlan GUI is working again through Remote Desktop. Thanks!

Strange! Usually I try to stop my Dockers when re-booting but normally I forget to do that and haven’t had any problems so far and I think I have used it for about 6 months. However CrashPlan do a lot of logging in the config/log folder but I would be surprised if the app wasn’t able to manage that in case of an unexpected shutdown.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing that the the crashplan desktop app is not ever finishing the desktop app load.  It isn't the "cannot connect to engine" error - I can see that my machines are able to back up to it - it just never finishes loading the desktop app.

I also saw this happening on a second unraid setup today. 

Both are the unraid 6 with docker and the desktop image.  Both were working fine.  Both aren't working now (never gets past loading screen).

I was hopeing to configure the servers to back up to each other (you know, off site backup) and without this working, I guess I'm stuck.

Any insights appreciated.

Not that much that could/should go wrong with the CrashPlan Desktop Docker. Assume you able to connect with Remote Desktop and login with the username ubuntu. After that you should see the CrashPlan splash screen. It should display version 4.3.0 in the lower left corner. Is this where you get stuck?

Also check your CrashPlan Desktop Docker settings. Should be as the pic on page 5 in the tutorial located in my signature.

Not that much that could/should go wrong with the CrashPlan Desktop Docker. Assume you able to connect with Remote Desktop and login with the username ubuntu. After that you should see the CrashPlan splash screen. It should display version 4.3.0 in the lower left corner. Is this where you get stuck?

Also check your CrashPlan Desktop Docker settings. Should be as the pic on page 5 in the tutorial located in my signature.

yes, if I can watch the splash screen not progress, then I have logged in.  Yes version 4.3.0.  Yes that splash screen just sits there indefinately.  I don't see the "can't connect to engine" message.

yes, if I can watch the splash screen not progress, then I have logged in.  Yes version 4.3.0.  Yes that splash screen just sits there indefinately.  I don't see the "can't connect to engine" message.

I am running out of ideas…  ??? You could check the available space for the Docker.img so that you not are running out of space (Settings, Dockers) just to be on the safe side.

Have you tried to uninstall the CrashPlan Desktop Docker (including its image) and reinstall it again?

I'm having a similar issue (today is my first attempt to do anything like this).  I'm seeing this in my logs:

==> service.log.0 <==
[09.14.15 02:50:26.045 INFO    Sel-UI-A             com.backup42.service.ui.UIController    ] UISession Created - 707078160592533329
[09.14.15 02:50:28.968 INFO    MQ-UI-1              com.backup42.service.ui.UIController    ] UserActionRequest: StatusQueryMessage[707078160592533329] CPD|b1afc65c-574f-4f94-97a1-e07293da1412|richard|/Users/richard|
[09.14.15 02:50:28.969 INFO    MQ-UI-1              com.backup42.service.ui.UIInfoUtility   ] Loaded port=4243 and token from location=/var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info
[09.14.15 02:50:28.969 INFO    MQ-UI-1              com.backup42.service.ui.UIController    ] Received status request message with invalid token.
[09.14.15 02:50:28.969 INFO    Factory$Notifier-UI0 com.backup42.service.ui.UIController    ] UISession Ended after less than a minute - 707078160592533329
[09.14.15 02:50:28.969 INFO    Factory$Notifier-UI0 backup42.service.backup.BackupController] UI:: AUTO IDLE... lowBandwidth=25600 B/s, activeThrottleRate=20
[09.14.15 02:50:28.969 INFO    Factory$Notifier-UI0 com.backup42.common.command.CliExecutor ] RUN COMMAND: auto.idle  >  CommandResult@203895406[ auto.idle, success=true, result=null ]

It looks to me like the token is incorrect; looking at the .ui-info file I see "4243,unRAID" is all that is in the file. Perhaps something has changed and this doesn't work anymore?

I have both Crashplan and Crashplan-Desktop working flawlessly on 6.0.1

Any reason to NOT upgrade to 6.1/6.1.1?

Thanks!

Dockers should not be affected by the changes from 6.0 to 6.1, only some plugins.

Just updated from 6.0.1 to 6.1.2... forced me into an update of crashplan 4.3 from 4.2.  Great work here!  Thanks.

I have the advanced extra paramater in both crashplan and desktop dockers... is this correct?  It appears to be working.

I have both Crashplan and Crashplan-Desktop working flawlessly on 6.0.1

Any reason to NOT upgrade to 6.1/6.1.1?

Thanks!

Dockers should not be affected by the changes from 6.0 to 6.1, only some plugins.

Just updated from 6.0.1 to 6.1.2... forced me into an update of crashplan 4.3 from 4.2.  Great work here!  Thanks.

I have the advanced extra paramater in both crashplan and desktop dockers... is this correct?  It appears to be working.

The extra parameter "--volumes-from CrashPlan" is only needed in the CrashPlan Desktop Docker.

CrashPlan has released version 4.4.0 and the CrashPlan Docker will be automatically updated.

http://support.code42.com/Release_Notes/CrashPlan_For_Home/4.4.0

It looks like this release is incompatible with version 4.3.0 since the CrashPlan Desktop Docker no longer can connect to the backup engine. It seems be the same for the Windows client.

I haven’t been able to locate version 4.4.0 for download on CrashPlan yet. Has anybody else found it?

I can see that my .ui_info in the docker is now getting changed everytime I restart the server, this didn't use to happen.

I also see that it gets overwritten even though I set the permissions to 400 and owner to root.  Seems it just gets recreated each time.

My server is running 4.4.0, but I can't find a download for windows for 4.4.0, I have 4.3.0 installed from July.

Anyone able to get this up and running?

I looked at the /etc/my_init.d/config.sh and it is creating a .ui_info file, but they (code42), must be overwriting it later.

thanks

david

Just downloaded and installed the windows client:

https://download.code42.com/installs/win/install/CrashPlan/jre/CrashPlan_4.4.0_Win.exe

The Crashplan (gfjardim/crashplan:latest) version is showing as 4.4.1

CPVERSION    = 4.4.1 - 1435726800441 (2015-07-01T05:00:00:441+0000) - Build: 27

Updated the both ui_info and ui.properties and still having issues connecting

Here's some logs from the docker Crashplan:

[09.25.15 14:40:00.360 INFO  DefaultGroup g.nio.ConnectionLifeCycleManager] Unable to connect to remoteAddress=/192.168.1.110:4242

[09.25.15 14:40:00.361 WARN  DefaultGroup .code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup] PG::DefaultGroup Peer unavailable for connect guid=REMOVEDGUID, remoteLocation=[[sAME AS [email protected]:4242], transportPbK=X509.checksum(7a001d2e1064ec26e32d05aad18ba0bd)]