[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

i had no issues but it is best to first upgrade crashplan and then crashplan desktop

both have been updated to install 4.4.1 and desktop requires the information from crashplan to be able to connect..

see extra parameters line from the desktop container "--volumes-from CrashPlan"

i had to delete an orphaned image though after this as due to this parameter the updated could not delete the old image....

Hey i need some help, been a while since i fiddled with this docker but i get email updates about the files being backed up to the cloud so i know its still working in the background.

HOWEVER i can't get the client on my computer to connect to the engine running on unraid like i used too.

I installed the client on my PC and i edited  ui.properties to the ip of my unraid server (192.168.2.100) and it still connects to the local engine on my pc and tries to backup my PC.

anyhelp please this is really annoying i remember it being really simple so i have no idea what im doing wrong?!?!?

The guide in my signature might be able to help you. If you are having trouble to get the Windows client to connect you can always install the CrashPlan Desktop container to get you started. Make sure that both the CrashPlan container as well as the CrashPlan Desktop container are updated and start the CrashPlan container first then the CrashPlan Desktop container.

I have a question regarding the Crashplan-Desktop. 

I have been noticing my cpu never quiet's down.  So I started digging in.  /etc/my_init.d/config.sh was at 17% CPU usage.  I did a docker stats and found that it was the Crashplan-Desktop.    I am curious what the loop that is running bash in this init script is for? 

while [ 1 ]; do bash; done

I commented the loop out and the cpu use went back to normal.  The container still works fine.  What is the purpose of this loop in config.sh?

Thanks,

mp54u

I have a little bash script I run on my Mac whenever I reset the unRaid, so that I can use the Crashplan GUI to connect to the dockerized crashplan (I don't use the desktop docker, just the core crashplan docker).

It grabs the key from the .ui_info on the share passed through docker, and splices it into my local .ui_info:

#! /bin/bash

LOCAL_LOCATION=/Library/Application\ Support/CrashPlan/.ui_info
REMOTE_LOCATION="/mnt/cache/apps/crashplan/id/.ui_info"
REMOTE_HOST="tower"

export ui_key=$(ssh $REMOTE_HOST cat $REMOTE_LOCATION | cut -d',' -f2)
echo "Remote UI key = $ui_key"

sed -i '' "s/,[-a-zA-Z0-9]*,/,$ui_key,/" "$LOCAL_LOCATION"
echo "Now local .ui_info:"
cat "$LOCAL_LOCATION"

- Put contents of that in a file

- Edit top variables to suit you

- chmod +x the file

- Move it somewhere in your path (like /usr/local/bin/)

Barakthecat and I have been having a problem for the last 43 days and I'm curious if anyone has had it and fixed it already. We were backing up very happily to each other for a while without trouble and now, at least it seems all of a sudden, neither can connect to the other. CrashPlan seems to be running fine in the dockers, but they both say the other person is offline. Both are upgraded to 4.4.1. Both of us can use the GUI in the CP-Desktop docker. Neither of us has changed routers or router settings, so can't think of any new firewall issues. Temporally, it seems the problem started the same time as 4.4.1 came out (and I coincidentally upgraded my workstation to Windows 10, but I can't see how that would affect CP on the unRAID server). Anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance.

- TD

I have problem with CrashPlan connectivity between CrashPlan client on PC and CrashPlan docker. Both are version 4.4.1.

When I restart CrashPlan docker they see each other and I can make backup, but after a while (don't now how much time passes) they don't see each other any more. Dot on the left side of the name of destination is grey (client and docker) and I can't perform manually backup. If I restart CrashPlan docker they see each other.

For now I am using free version of CrashPlan.

Thanks ljm42, gfjardim and Leifgg also of course, my files are backing up once again.

However, I don't understand the exact mechanism - what exactly is the crashplan desktop docker for? Isn't the desktop one the one I am running on my Windows PC which is backing up to the server? What exactly is that helping configure?

Also, the last time I lost connection and even this time when I re connected I saw two instances of "Tower" as my backup destination, one without a green ball, and one with. So I just deactivated the old one and started backing to the one visible now from scratch. Which I'm sure is the wrong thing to do but I dont know any better.

The CrashPlan Desktop container is only for configuring the backup and to monitoring the status. You can turn it off when not needing it, the CrashPlan container will continue to run and take care of your backup.

The Windows client is actually a full client/server app (= both CrashPlan Containers combined) but when it is used together with the CrashPlan container the server part is not used and it works in the same way as the CrashPlan Desktop container.

I am not sure I understand your setup; do you use CrashPlan on Windows to backup a Windows PC or do you use the CrashPlan container to back up your server?

The only reason I installed crashplan is in order to be able to make automatic backups of my windows laptop. Right now thats the only machine backing up, soon I plan to add my other laptop too.

I don't know that I could back up my server too? By that, do you mean to crashplan cloud or to the server itself (does that make any sense?)

What part of all this does the crashplan desktop docker help configure?

Basically there are two different scenarios. The basic concept with CrashPlan is like you do it now (?), like backing up single computer to the CrashPlan cloud or if you have the family subscription several computers (I assume you have CrashPlan installed on your Laptop).

The implementation for unRAID is unsupported by CrashPlan but is basically a port of the CrashPlan app so that it can be used/installed in Docker containers on a unRAID server. The purpose of this is to be able to backup all files on your server to the CrashPlan cloud.

I don’t know how the family subscription works but I guess that, since it allows several computers (max 10), connected to your account you could use two licenses for your PCs and one for a unRAID server.

A common solution used is to have a single license subscription and install CrashPlan on the unRAID server. Then you setup a backup software on your PCs and let them backup to the unRAID server. With this setup you backup your PCs as well as the server to the CrashPlan cloud.

There are different alternatives for backing up your PC to the unRAID server but SyncBackSE for Windows is known as a relatively easy to use.

You can also use CrashPlan to backup to other computers and USB disks as well but what it does best is backing up to the cloud. Local backups are compressed backup archives with a property format that would need the CrashPlan app to be able to restore.

Does this make sense or did I just make you more confused?

When you start the CrashPlan-Desktop, if you get an "Unable to connect to the backup engine" message, do the following:

• Answer No to the prompt
  • Modify \\tower\appdata\crashplan\id\.ui_info, changing 0.0.0.0 to 172.17.42.1.  It should look something like this when you're done:

4243,aaa-bbb-ccc-ddd,172.17.42.1

• Click the CrashPlan icon again to reload it

I've done this, and am having no luck getting the console to connect.  I continue to get an 'unable to connect to backup engine'.  My console shows version 4.4.1 - I don't know how to find out if the engine is the correct version.

When I looked at the ui_info file initially it was set to the loopback 127.0.0.1, not 0.0.0.0, so I've tried that, the 172.17.42.1, as well as my unraid IP 192.168.x.x

I should note that I've had the Crashplan docker running for some time (a year or so?), and I've only just now tried the -Desktop container to try and manage it.  I can see online that the backup was recently run, so I know that part is working. I haven't had a way to manage this in some time - I used to have another linux server that would connect to it, but that quit working awhile ago and I didn't have time to figure it out then as long as it kept running.  But now with the ease of docker I want to get it back up and functional.  I'd be happy to remove the container and start over with new crashplan /config directory, but I'm not confident on how to retain my crashplan ID - I have a lot of data backed up on crashplan central, and several friends backing up to me. 

I've also done the "turn it off & turn it back on" approach:

Stop both the CrashPlan and CrashPlan-Desktop dockers

Update the CrashPlan docker, give it is a few minutes

Update the CrashPlan-Desktop docker

Any thoughts/direction?

***EDIT***

Thanks to LEIFGG's signature link!!

I found my issue was in the my.service.xml file - it was listening on 127.0.0.1.  I changed it to 0.0.0.0 as suggested, restarted everything, and it's all working well.  Thanks!!

When you start the CrashPlan-Desktop, if you get an "Unable to connect to the backup engine" message, do the following:

• Answer No to the prompt
  • Modify \\tower\appdata\crashplan\id\.ui_info, changing 0.0.0.0 to 172.17.42.1.  It should look something like this when you're done:

4243,aaa-bbb-ccc-ddd,172.17.42.1

• Click the CrashPlan icon again to reload it

I've done this, and am having no luck getting the console to connect.  I continue to get an 'unable to connect to backup engine'.  My console shows version 4.4.1 - I don't know how to find out if the engine is the correct version.

When I looked at the ui_info file initially it was set to the loopback 127.0.0.1, not 0.0.0.0, so I've tried that, the 172.17.42.1, as well as my unraid IP 192.168.x.x

I should note that I've had the Crashplan docker running for some time (a year or so?), and I've only just now tried the -Desktop container to try and manage it.  I can see online that the backup was recently run, so I know that part is working. I haven't had a way to manage this in some time - I used to have another linux server that would connect to it, but that quit working awhile ago and I didn't have time to figure it out then as long as it kept running.  But now with the ease of docker I want to get it back up and functional.  I'd be happy to remove the container and start over with new crashplan /config directory, but I'm not confident on how to retain my crashplan ID - I have a lot of data backed up on crashplan central, and several friends backing up to me. 

I've also done the "turn it off & turn it back on" approach:

Stop both the CrashPlan and CrashPlan-Desktop dockers

Update the CrashPlan docker, give it is a few minutes

Update the CrashPlan-Desktop docker

Any thoughts/direction?

***EDIT***

Thanks to LEIFGG's signature link!!

I found my issue was in the my.service.xml file - it was listening on 127.0.0.1.  I changed it to 0.0.0.0 as suggested, restarted everything, and it's all working well.  Thanks!!

Thank you!  You solved this issue for me!

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44190.0 

It was driving me NUTS

Hi

First thank you for your great work. Unfortunately i'm having problems getting  crashplan to work. I'm new to docker, and i cant't seem to get your Crashplan to work, or i did have it working until a reboot of the server. I've tried telnetting the Chashplan Docker og port 4243, but i don't get an answer. When i don't get an answer on port 4243 i'm not able to connect using the GUI in the GUI Docker or using the GUI on my computer. I'm out of ideas and I don't know what to do to solve this issue. Please advise

br,

Thomas

The easiest way to use CrashPlan is by using the CrashPlan Docker container and the CrashPlan Desktop Docker container. When I tested this two days ago it was still working after the update to version 4.5.0 but after checking this one more time today it doesn’t. Basically it worked as long as I didn’t restart the CrashPlan Desktop Docker container but after I did that that, the CrashPlan Desktop Docker doesn’t start.

I believe that the update did brake the CrashPlan Desktop Docker container and that the maintainer of these containers need to look into this and hopefully make an update to the latest release.

Edit: Some more testing done, after restarting the CrashPlan Desktop Docker container a few times its up and running again and everything looks ok.