[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

I am using SyncBackSE (free version) to backup Windows clients to unRAID. GoodSync is another Windows client that you should have a look at.

Also have a look on the Syncthing Docker Container in combination with the Syncthing Windows client.

Which one do you like better SyncBackSE  or GoodSync?

I am using SyncBackSE (free version) to backup Windows clients to unRAID. GoodSync is another Windows client that you should have a look at.

Also have a look on the Syncthing Docker Container in combination with the Syncthing Windows client.

Which one do you like better SyncBackSE  or GoodSync?

I like SyncBackSE mainly because I used it for a long time and I can use the free version…

Hi I have this all working but my problem is that when i reboot the server i have to re-key the server address in .ui_info

for some reason the file is getting updated/reset every time  I reboot with a server address of 0.0.0.0

running Crashplan Core 4.5.0 & GUI 4.4.1

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi I have this all working but my problem is that when i reboot the server i have to re-key the server address in .ui_info

for some reason the file is getting updated/reset every time  I reboot with a server address of 0.0.0.0

running Crashplan Core 4.5.0 & GUI 4.4.1

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the world of headless CrashPlan.  This is the way it is currently designed to work.  If you restart the CrashPlan engine in any way (server reboot, docker restart, manual engine restart, etc.) the .ui_info file is regenerated and will have to be edited (or copied from client) again.  To my knowledge there is no workaround. 

When I contacted Code42 about this their response was basically, "well, we don't support headless CrashPlan officially and we do not test these configurations when releasing new versions, so, if it breaks, it breaks and you will have to deal with it. We recommend you use CrashPlan in a supported configuration."

Got another question - is there anything in the Docker that limits the bandwidth?

I know that I'm not using very much of my connection, and I have at least 10Mbps upload internet service, but the backup in Crashplan seems to max out at about 1.5Mbps (Speed test verifies that my connection gets 10Mbps...)

Thoughts?

According to several statements made by CrashPlan there is no bandwidth limits in their backup service and there isn’t anything within the CrashPlan Docker that should cause this either.

However, there are several factors that can influence the backup speed. Firstly, all data is compressed and encrypted. CrashPlan also uses data deduplication to reduce the amount of data that is transferred. The data deduplication compares all data blocks in your backup with all data you already backed up to CrashPlan and only backups new data blocks.

Compression and encryption doesn’t use much resources but data deduplication can actually use a lot of CPU and can be a limiting factor on a low powered system. Some data, like media files, usually only contains unique data blocks so data deduplication and compression doesn’t really reduce the amount of data to be backed up.

Since data deduplication compares all data with previously backed up data this process takes longer time the more data that you already backed up.

There are also other users backing up data to the same CrashPlan server at the same time so there are limitations depending on the resource usage for that server as well as general limitations depending on bandwidth usage. Your geographical location as well as the location of the actual data centre you are connected to could also influence this.

I can see large differences in the backup speed but in general it’s a bit less than 10 Mbit but on rare occasions I have reached around 80 Mbit making me believe that CrashPlan doesn’t limit bandwidth usage on purpose and limitations are depending on other factors.

I just installed the Crashplan & Crashplan Desktop docker images and am having an issue with a "Bus error"

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/config.sh...

Current default time zone: 'America/Los_Angeles'
Local time is now: Sat Jan 2 18:10:29 PST 2016.
Universal Time is now: Sun Jan 3 02:10:29 UTC 2016.

cp: cannot stat ‘/root/wallpapers/*’: No such file or directory
/etc/my_init.d/config.sh: line 17: 30 [b]Bus error[/b] /usr/bin/supervisord -c /opt/supervisord.conf

Now here's the strange part. I spent the last week troubleshooting a docker/owncloud problem where a "Bus error" was an issue while trying to run an update within docker/owncloud. I would say this was just my problem as it seems no one else has stumble across it from the lack of Google answers. However these are on two completely separate unraid builds that are both experiencing "Bus errors".

Here's my Unraid version and build information:

Version: 6.0.1
Model: N/A
M/B: ASUSTeK Computer INC. - M4A88T-M
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 450 @ 3200
HVM: Disabled
IOMMU: Disabled
Cache: 384 kB, 1536 kB
Memory: 6144 MB (max. installable capacity 16 GB)
Network: eth0: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex
Kernel: Linux 4.0.4-unRAID x86_64
OpenSSL: 1.0.1o
Uptime:29 days

Also after checking my main unraid log I would get the following line repeating while the docker containers were running

Jan 2 18:18:12 Server kernel: BTRFS warning (device loop0): csum failed ino 19263 off 10285056 csum 3357241515 expected csum 2995147020

With some Googling here's what I've found so far although I'm not sure how to use it:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40960.30

Any help would be great!

Suggest stopping both containers and then start the CrashPlan container and wait a few minutes and then start the CrashPlan Desktop container. That usually fixes this problem. I have same versions as you and that works fine.

I just upgraded my unraid server from v5 to v6.1.6 and reactivated Crashplan.

First it worked fine to use the Crashplan desktop docker to configure my crashplan engine, and adopt my previous backup.

When I applied my settings the crashplan engine updated automatically, the filescan started and everything was fine. I could follow the progress in the GUI in the CP desktop docker.

After a while decided to move my server and shut it down.

Since I started again I can no longer connect to the engine with the CP desktop docker GUI.

I have tried to shut down both dockers and started the engine docker, then waited a few minutes and strted the desktop docker. But it still can't connect.

I see on the crashplan website that the filescan and backup finished, so the engine seems fine.

The versions I user are the following:

Engie docker: gfjardim/crashplan:latest (Can't find the docker version)

/conf/engine_output.log

[01.08.16 10:51:57.110 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] STARTED CrashPlanService
[01.08.16 10:51:57.113 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] CPVERSION = 4.5.0 - 1435726800450 (2015-07-01T05:00:00:450+0000) - Build: 270
[01.08.16 10:51:57.114 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] LOCALE = English
[01.08.16 10:51:57.116 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] ARGS = [  ]
[01.08.16 10:51:57.116 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] ************************************************************* 

Desktop docker: gfjardim/crashplan-desktop:latest

GUI splash screen: 4.4.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Haven’t really any good suggestions however the CrashPlan Docker is on version 4.4.1 but gets updated to 4.5.0 as soon as you start the CrashPlan Docker and connects to CrashPlan. The CrashPlan Desktop Docker is still on version 4.4.1 (it doesn’t update itself) and should work with CrashPlan Docker 4.5.0

The reason to wait before starting the CrashPlan Desktop Docker is that every time you restart the CrashPlan Docker you will get a new unique key so the idea is that CrashPlan Desktop Docker shouldn’t be started until the new key is received from CrashPlan. You should be able to see some info in the latest history.log on what’s going on.

I'm getting fed up of the BS from CrashPlan. There has to be a better solution...

v5 completely drops the ability to backup to one central place locally before backing up to crashplan itself.

I think that may just be the enterprise edition.  Or at least that's what someone told me when I raised this as a concern.

I'm getting fed up of the BS from CrashPlan. There has to be a better solution...

I loved using the Crashplan Docker, since it was all new to me, but then just got old dealing with client/server connection issues. I had the resources to whip up an Ubuntu VM and install Crashplan. Just needed to make my user shares visible within the VM and been problem free since then. It behaves normally and updates when it needs to. To access the gui I just log into the VM and load Crashplan. I may revert back to the Docker once it doesn't need constant attention.

I never liked Code42's idea on not being able to backup network paths. We all find ways around it so I just chose the easiest path for me.

The CrashPlan Desktop Docker still works after the auto update of the CrashPlan Docker to version 4.5.2

During the actual update I was not able to connect with the CrashPlan Desktop Docker until the update was completed. It did take 15 minutes on my system. Check your latest history.log

01/14/16 09:01PM Downloading a new version of CrashPlan.
01/14/16 09:15PM Download of upgrade complete - version 1435726800452.
01/14/16 09:15PM Installing upgrade - version 1435726800452
01/14/16 09:15PM Upgrade installed - version 1435726800452
01/14/16 09:15PM CrashPlan stopped, version 4.5.0, GUID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/14/16 09:15PM CrashPlan started, version 4.5.2, GUID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/14/16 09:15PM Backup scheduled to always run

Release Notes: http://support.code42.com/Release_Notes/CrashPlan_For_Home/4.5.0

Question - sorry didnt read all of the 40 pages of threads, ;) , Cant i just map the shares that i want crashplan to backup on my Windows 10 machine and then run the crashplan app off Windows 10 / not a VM just another Win 10 machine on the network?

I know it wouldn't be automatic like the docker would be... 95% of the time the Win10 machine is turned on and files are 100% copied over from the Win10 machine to Unraid. 

Maybe this has been discussed but this approach seemed easy to me!

AJ

Question - sorry didnt read all of the 40 pages of threads, ;) , Cant i just map the shares that i want crashplan to backup on my Windows 10 machine and then run the crashplan app off Windows 10 / not a VM just another Win 10 machine on the network?

I know it wouldn't be automatic like the docker would be... 95% of the time the Win10 machine is turned on and files are 100% copied over from the Win10 machine to Unraid. 

AJ

Crasplan disallows mapped drive backup.  You can trick windows into a hard mount, but usually only for 1 share.

AJ

Check this post from the support pages at CrashPlan: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Backing_Up_A_Windows_Network_Drive

AJ

Check this post from the support pages at CrashPlan: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Backing_Up_A_Windows_Network_Drive

With version of Crashplan 4.3 and later, they made some changes to work with Windows 10 better and indicate you can backup network drives if you install the app PER USER. But then you will need a license for each PER USER installation. Since I already pay for the FAMILY account I didn't want to try it out. If what they are saying indeed works and you have a license you could either go two ways. Install the docker and then install the client and make sure you select PER USER or remove the docker entirely and just install on Windows server/client PER USER and select your shared drives. I would need a PER USER license to see it in action, don't have one. Maybe someone can confirm?

I've done the hard links "solution" and it was a pain in the neck. I had to keep fooling around with the task to get it working properly.

"CrashPlan App Version 4.3 And Later

For the CrashPlan app version 4.3 and later, you can install the CrashPlan app per user. This installation allows you to add the mapped drive to your backup file selection just as you would any other drive. If the CrashPlan app is already installed for everyone on your computer, you can completely uninstall the CrashPlan app and reinstall per user instead."

I have a problem with crashplan not being accessible after reboot. I wanted to back up files from my Windows machine to unRAID share (basically this). So, I installed crashplan and crashplan-desktop dockers on unRAID and downloaded a client for Windows. Both machines use the same account. Everything worked fine after the initial install and configuration. I was able to see unRAID under computer destinations in my Windows client and back up there. But every time I reboot unRAID, neither crashplan-desktop nor Windows client can connect to unRAID. unRAID shows off-line in Windows client and crashplan-desktop times out trying to connect. What am I doing wrong? Screen shots of my setup are here.

Edit: seems to be an issue with crashplan docker autostart after reboot. I stopped both crashplan and crashplan-desktop. Then started crashplan, waited a few minutes and started crashplan-desktop. It was able to connect. Then unRAID became visible from Windows as well. Any thoughts how to avoid this issue during reboot?

Your screen shots look ok so that should work but every time you reboot unRAID it takes a while before the CrashPlan Desktop container can connect to the CrashPlan container as mentioned in post #591 above.

You only need to use the CrashPlan Desktop container to configure your backups and for monitoring so only start it when you need it but set the CrashPlan container to autostart. It will run and do its job regardless of CrashPlan Desktop container is started or not.

If you intend to do backups from a Windows client to unRAID (and later to the CrashPlan cloud) I would recommend to use a Windows client like SyncBackSE for that purpose.

I wonder if this can be related to the .identity and the .ui_info files on your unRAID server. As soon as you restart unRAID these two files get updated with new keys. If the Windows client is using them to identify unRAID as a backup destination for your Windows backup that could be a possible reason for not connecting.

Unfortunately, I am not using same setup as you so I can’t test this so the above is just a guess.