[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

I wonder if this can be related to the .identity and the .ui_info files on your unRAID server. As soon as you restart unRAID these two files get updated with new keys. If the Windows client is using them to identify unRAID as a backup destination for your Windows backup that could be a possible reason for not connecting.

Unfortunately, I am not using same setup as you so I can’t test this so the above is just a guess.

I doubt it since it's not the "headless" setup most of people here use. If it was the case, the whole concept of backing up to other computers wouldn't make sense. But who knows. Maybe I should look into a different solution altogether, like SyncBackSE.

I am trying to install crashplan-desktop, but I get a error message.

Then I save the docker, I get this message

Command:
root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="CrashPlan-Desktop" --net="bridge" -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -p 3389:3389/tcp -v "/mnt/disk1/":"/disk1":ro --volumes-from CrashPlan gfjardim/crashplan-desktop
Error response from daemon: no such id: CrashPlan

The command failed.

I have NOT done anything to "Extra Parameters", should I do that?

I wonder if this can be related to the .identity and the .ui_info files on your unRAID server. As soon as you restart unRAID these two files get updated with new keys. If the Windows client is using them to identify unRAID as a backup destination for your Windows backup that could be a possible reason for not connecting.

Unfortunately, I am not using same setup as you so I can’t test this so the above is just a guess.

I doubt it since it's not the "headless" setup most of people here use. If it was the case, the whole concept of backing up to other computers wouldn't make sense. But who knows. Maybe I should look into a different solution altogether, like SyncBackSE.

Wasn’t thinking that you should make any changes like the ones needed for the headless configuration. More like that the Windows client used these files to identity the remote system. Try to have a look on the config files on the Windows client if you find anything related to the backup destination at your unRAID server.

Have you installed the CrashPlan container also?

I did not understand I had to install CrashPlan also. Thanks man  ;)

Problem solved! (well at least the first one… ::) )

Haha! So ture  ::)

I got this working now, but do the desktop docker need to run all time since I have used it to set up crashplan, or can I stop it and only run the Crashplan docker?

I got this working now, but do the desktop docker need to run all time since I have used it to set up crashplan, or can I stop it and only run the Crashplan docker?

The main Crashplan docker will run all by itself using the default settings. If you need to make any changes then just turn on the desktop part, connect to the main Crashplan docker, makes your changes and then shut down the desktop part.

The main Crashplan docker will run all by itself using the default settings. If you need to make any changes then just turn on the desktop part, connect to the main Crashplan docker, makes your changes and then shut down the desktop part.

Unfortunately, I am not using a Mac so it’s a bit difficult for me to help. Using Microsoft RDP and mRemoteNG in Windows and have never seen this behaviour.

I believe that this container is using the Libre-Mate container by sparklyballs as a base so it might be worth looking at or posting in that thread as well.

The problem is not CrashPlan related, it probably has to do with the Linux desktop and/or Linux xrdp used in that Container.

Hope that somebody with a Mac can respond!

Post screen shoots on the settings for both the CrashPlan container and the CrashPlan Desktop container and make sure to enable to enable Advanced View.

Are you making local backups (not to the CrashPlan cloud)?

Here are some pictures:

And I have my PC and my NAS hooked up to a network switch.  And i would like to back up from my PC to my NAS into the backups folder.  In the future i would like to back up all of my 5 computers into that folder.

Ok, I think I understand the problem a bit better now.

I believe that you have installed the CrashPlan Windows client to our PC and made the changes as described in the doc so that it can connect to the CrashPlan container running on unRAID.

The problem with this is that CrashPlan installation on your PC only connects to the CrashPlan container installed on unRAID. It’s basically only used as an GUI to control and monitor backups done on unRAID. It does the same work as the CrashPlan Desktop container does.

This configuration will not allow you to backup files from your PC to unRAID since the Windows client doesn’t use the CrashPlan server on your PC and it will not see the files on your PC.

There is information on the CrashPlan support pages on setting up backup between two computers that involves setting up CrashPlan on your PC without making any changes to the configuration. You will have the CrashPlan container installed on unRAID together with the CrashPlan Desktop container in order to setup CrashPlan on unRAID.

Technically it should be possible but I believe that you need CrashPlan on Windows and unRAID using the same account. Alternatively, you might be able to map a network drive on Windows and only use the Windows client.

One disadvantage is that your backup is a compressed backup archive that only can be restored using CrashPlan.

I prefer using SyncBackSE to do backups from the Windows client to unRAID. A lot easier to setup and maintain.