[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Yupp! At least that’s my personal opinion… It makes life a lot easier for you if you find one that fits your needs. Suggest downloading the free version of SyncBackSE and try it out first.

CrashPlan is ok but what they are good at is cloud backup and that’s what their app really is designed for in the first place. Local backups using a free account also have a number of limitations that you also should check.

ahhh. ok   So basically find a different program to back up my PC to my unRAID server then?

If you want to stick with crashplan:

- install both crashplan and crashplan-desktop dockers on unRAID

- configure crashplan using crashplan-desktop

- install crashplan on PC

- follow the instructions from here to backup your PC to unRAID.

ahhh. ok   So basically find a different program to back up my PC to my unRAID server then?

If you want to stick with crashplan:

- install both crashplan and crashplan-desktop dockers on unRAID

- configure crashplan using crashplan-desktop

- install crashplan on PC

- follow the instructions from here to backup your PC to unRAID.

Thats what i did.  But my Crashplan Desktop docker couldnt access the folders i assigned to it.

Remote desktop client failing, CrashPlan Desktop container and Mac.

Regarding the CrashPlan Desktop container and Mac I have got that question before but I was not able to solve that (see a few posts up #614)

At least there seems to be a problem related to using Microsoft Remote Desktop client on Mac connecting to the xrdp server used in the CrashPlan Desktop container.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/414827ef-15b8-444c-99b3-2d9ed8286850/mac-rdp-client-to-linux-xrdp-issues?forum=winRDc

I don’t have any solution other than let Google find another remote desktop client that can connect to the xrdp server  ???

hi,

i hope you can help me because there has to be something stupid i am missing.

i installed the recent crashplan docker (4.4.1) and want to configure it using a Windows tool (which is currently 4.5.2). as far as i understand i don't have to change anything in the docker configs and have to edit the ui.properties of my windows version.  direct the service ip to my unraid machine and activate the service port 4243. right?

because no matter what i do i can't get it to work. do both crashplan apps have to be the same version?

what am I doing wrong.

thanks for your help.

There are changes needed both on your Windows client as well as the configuration on unRAID. Check the Guide in my signature on page 9.

The 4.5.2 client should be able to connect to the Docker container 4.4.1

A good start (and a lot easier) is to use the CrashPlan container with the CrashPlan Desktop container just to get it running and later switch to the Windows client if you like that better.

If you are on Windows use Microsoft Remote Desktop client to connect to the CrashPlan Desktop container. You only need to enter the IP to your server. It will connect on port 3389 using the Remote Desktop Protocol.

You can use other clients as well but there might be some configuration work to do. The client you use must be able to connect to the remote desktop server (xrdp) that is used for the CrashPlan Desktop container.

thanks so much for your help. but i still can't get it to work. now i think that the crashplan docker doesn't work correctly because my log file ends with this

[01.27.16 01:40:52.197 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] Locale changed to English
[01.27.16 01:40:52.198 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] *************************************************************
[01.27.16 01:40:52.198 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] *************************************************************
[01.27.16 01:40:52.198 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] STARTED CrashPlanService
[01.27.16 01:40:52.199 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] CPVERSION = 4.4.1 - 1435726800441 (2015-07-01T05:00:00:441+0000) - Build: 59
[01.27.16 01:40:52.200 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] LOCALE = English
[01.27.16 01:40:52.201 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] ARGS = [  ]
[01.27.16 01:40:52.201 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] *************************************************************
[01.27.16 01:40:52.257 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] Adding shutdown hook.
[01.27.16 01:40:52.292 INFO  main         .code42.lang.NativeLibraryLoader] Added /usr/local/crashplan to jna.library.path.  New value:/usr/local/crashplan
[01.27.16 01:40:52.293 INFO  main         .code42.lang.NativeLibraryLoader] Added . to java.library.path.  New value:/usr/java/packages/lib/amd64:/usr/lib64:/lib64:/lib:/usr/lib:.
[01.27.16 01:40:52.294 INFO  main         .code42.lang.NativeLibraryLoader] Added /usr/local/crashplan/lib to jna.library.path.  New value:/usr/local/crashplan:/usr/local/crashplan/lib
[01.27.16 01:40:52.294 INFO  main         .code42.lang.NativeLibraryLoader] Added lib to java.library.path.  New value:/usr/java/packages/lib/amd64:/usr/lib64:/lib64:/lib:/usr/lib:.:lib
[01.27.16 01:40:52.297 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] loadConfig, BEGIN Loading Configuration
[01.27.16 01:40:52.334 INFO  main          com.backup42.service.CpsFolders] CpsFolders chmod successful. confPath=conf/
[01.27.16 01:40:52.334 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] BEGIN Copy Custom
[01.27.16 01:40:52.334 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService]   Directories: [.Custom, custom, /repository/.Custom, /repository/custom]
[01.27.16 01:40:52.334 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService]   NOT waiting for custom skin to appear
[01.27.16 01:40:52.334 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService]   NO customizations found.
[01.27.16 01:40:52.334 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] END Copy Custom
[01.27.16 01:40:52.337 INFO  main         backup42.common.config.AppConfig]   Loading from default: , /usr/local/crashplan/conf/default.service.xml
[01.27.16 01:40:52.585 INFO  main         backup42.common.config.AppConfig]   Loading from my xml file:, conf/my.service.xml
[01.27.16 01:40:52.627 INFO  main         up42.common.config.ServiceConfig] ServiceConfig::   Loading ServiceConfig, newInstall=false, configVersion=7, configDateMs=null, installVersion=1435726800441, currentVersion=1435726800441
[01.27.16 01:40:52.627 INFO  main         up42.common.config.ServiceConfig] ServiceConfig::   OS = Linux
[01.27.16 01:40:52.759 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService]   AuthorityLocation@986939266[ location=central.crashplan.com:443, hideAddress=false, isLocked=false ]
[01.27.16 01:40:52.761 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService]   Checking Java memory heap max.
[01.27.16 01:40:52.763 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService]     Previous Java memory max heap size was 1024
[01.27.16 01:40:52.769 INFO  main           com.backup42.service.CPService] END Loading Configuration
jtux64 Loaded.

the log file you posted in your tutorial looks different.

I am not an expert on these log files but I don’t see any errors. It just looks different since you probably never been able to login and configure CrashPlan.

You should be able to get the CrashPlan Desktop container started and to connect to it with Remote Desktop regardless if the CrashPlan container is running or not. You should be able to access the login screen and get to the CrashPlan splash screen.

xrdp.png.7a140891a37193ff75746272d50214ee.png

CP_splash.png.76cc8e0767f61aa282704ff72a186d31.png

Is this docker still working for people? I assume so since no one else has posted. Crashplan emailed to say it hasn't heard from my unRaid box in 3 days, I logged in using RDP and apparently it had no internet connection. I tried wiping the addata folder and starting again but it crashes after login.

I've noticed some weird behavior with the "CrashPlan-desktop" docker file.

If the "CrashPlan-desktop" is running while there is a sudden loss of power to the unraid system, I can't rdp back into it when the system boots up again.

I have to uninstall the "CrashPlan-desktop" image, and re-install it to get rdp access working again.

Is there something else I can be doing to the "CrashPlan-docker" image to FIX things rather then just reload/reinstall the image file?

I've noticed some weird behavior with the "CrashPlan-desktop" docker file.

If the "CrashPlan-desktop" is running while there is a sudden loss of power to the unraid system, I can't rdp back into it when the system boots up again.

I have to uninstall the "CrashPlan-desktop" image, and re-install it to get rdp access working again.

Is there something else I can be doing to the "CrashPlan-docker" image to FIX things rather then just reload/reinstall the image file?

No need to reinstall anything, just restart the CrashPlan-desktop container.

The issue is that every time the main CrashPlan docker loads, it recreates the .ui_info file in a way that prevents remote connections (this is a "feature" of CrashPlan itself, not a problem with the docker).  The CrashPlan-desktop docker is coded to fix it, but that code has to run *after* the main CrashPlan docker has finished loading.

I find it easier to disable auto-load for CrashPlan-desktop.  I start and stop that docker manually when I want to use it.

p.s. - you really need to get a UPS :)

Is this docker still working for people? I assume so since no one else has posted. Crashplan emailed to say it hasn't heard from my unRaid box in 3 days, I logged in using RDP and apparently it had no internet connection. I tried wiping the addata folder and starting again but it crashes after login.

Every time I try to connect to the crashplan container with the crashplan-desktop container, the crashplan service crashes. I followed this tutorial and skipped the SSH part.

The article you refer to is related to on how to use CrashPlan on your server and use CrashPlan (as a client) on a computer to monitor and configure CrashPlan on the server.

This is not applicable if you intend to use the CrashPlan container and the CrashPlan Desktop container.

If you have the CrashPlan container and the CrashPlan Desktop containers installed on your server, you should connect with a Remote Desktop Client to the CrashPlan Desktop container to manage the CrashPlan container.

Have a look on the guide in my signature.

The article you refer to is related to on how to use CrashPlan on your server and use CrashPlan (as a client) on a computer to monitor and configure CrashPlan on the server.

This is not applicable if you intend to use the CrashPlan container and the CrashPlan Desktop container.

If you have the CrashPlan container and the CrashPlan Desktop containers installed on your server, you should connect with a Remote Desktop Client to the CrashPlan Desktop container to manage the CrashPlan container.

Yes I know what the article is for, I'm literate. I tried the crashplan desktop container and when I connected to the crashplan container on the same machine, the crashplan service would crash. Every single time. Which I had stated already.

I used the tutorial I had linked to connect the crashplan on my unraid box using the crashplan UI on my desktop to configure the former.

Yes I know what the article is for, I'm literate. I tried the crashplan desktop container and when I connected to the crashplan container on the same machine, the crashplan service would crash. Every single time. Which I had stated already.

I used the tutorial I had linked to connect the crashplan on my unraid box using the crashplan UI on my desktop to configure the former.

Please understand we are volunteers just trying to help people out.  If you have a problem you want help with, be clear about what it is and provide as many details as you can.

When people don't provide any details, about all we can do is ask them to review the directions. 

I have no idea what would make CrashPlan crash.  Docker logs might help.

I'll go ahead and throw this out there, just to get it out of the way...

The most common mistakes during setup are:

* mapping a volume to CrashPlan-desktop (only map volumes to CrashPlan, not CrashPlan-desktop)

* failing to add "--volumes-from CrashPlan" to CrashPlan-desktop

Then, if CrashPlan-desktop reports "Unable to connect to the backup engine", simply restart the CrashPlan-desktop docker.

I do apologise but I might not understand your configuration correctly. What I recommend is to use the CrashPlan container and the CrashPlan Desktop container only, just to get you up and running.

If you later would like to use the (CrashPlan) client on your PC instead of the CrashPlan Desktop container that will also work. When you say its crashing, can you post a screen dump so that we can have a look on it?

Every time I try to connect to the crashplan container with the crashplan-desktop container, the crashplan service crashes. I followed this tutorial and skipped the SSH part.

Have the exact same issue. :(

I've got a couple issues I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've followed the guide HERE and everything seemed to go OK. However The windows client is still not connecting with the host on the unraid box, and only shows it's own c:\ drive as possible file sources for back up. I can run the host on the unraid box through the remote desktop so I can worry about this issue later.

The other issue is while on the host on the unraid server, when trying to select a source for backup (in this case simply /mnt/disk1) the mnt folder shows as empty. It also shows as empty when using the file browser on the gui on the remote desk top. So I don't think it's an issue with the crashplan host, maybe a permission setting or something?

Thanks for any help,

Ryan

Are you using Disk shares since you are using

/mnt/disk1/

as your mount point? If you are using User shares it should be

/mnt/user/

Regardless of this, if there is a share on disk1 you should be able to see it. If you go to Shares (using the unRAID GUI) your share should be visible there and you can use View to verify that the share really is located on the disk you believe it should be.

I checked to rights for some of my shares and they have Owner:nobody, Group:users, permissions:0777

Regarding the difficulties with your Windows client connecting to the CrashPlan container I believe that you should check your settings one more time. The most important parts are on page 9 and 10 in the Guide.

Hi,

While Crashplan docker works flawlessly to me, Crashplan Desktop docker fails many times. I know it's just because both main and desktop Crashplan dockers must match, they need to have exactly the same release. If not, the client is not allowed to connect to the server. And because the maintenance of the CP Desktop docker seems to be slower (Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for both ones! ;) ), I'm thinking about a simple idea which could help a lot and simplify the maintenance: as the Crashplan Desktop container is working inside a virtual linux release, which has internet access, why don't let it auto upgrade to the last Crashplan software version?

I'm just trying to help both users and developer of the dockers to simplify both lives at once ;)