[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

hi,  i hope you can help me. i am running crashplan on my unraid machine and it works fine but the main reason i wanted to use it was to backup my external drives connected by usb using the unassigned drives plugin. internal drives work great with crashplan but the external doesn't. it shows up in crashplan but is only displayed as an empty folder.

is there anything to fix this? thanks for your help

hi,  i hope you can help me. i am running crashplan on my unraid machine and it works fine but the main reason i wanted to use it was to backup my external drives connected by usb using the unassigned drives plugin. internal drives work great with crashplan but the external doesn't. it shows up in crashplan but is only displayed as an empty folder.

is there anything to fix this? thanks for your help

Please, guys, always look at the OP before asking a question:

ztRef1Z.png

Ok very new user here.  Set up crashplan on UnRaid and successfully (I think) have the backups running for my main desktop backing up onto CrashPlan on UnRaid.  Now I'm trying to allow one of my fathers computers at his house to backup onto Crashplan on my Unraid server at my house.  I put my computers access code into his and both Unraid and his computer show the other as friends/ destinations, yet it says waiting for connection.  I dont understand.  Both see the internet, disabling firewall didnt help.  I also did some searching and followed some steps to verifying ports were listening and they were.  What am I doing wrong?  Is it something stupid?  Thanks, Andrew

Ok very new user here.  Set up crashplan on UnRaid and successfully (I think) have the backups running for my main desktop backing up onto CrashPlan on UnRaid.  Now I'm trying to allow one of my fathers computers at his house to backup onto Crashplan on my Unraid server at my house.  I put my computers access code into his and both Unraid and his computer show the other as friends/ destinations, yet it says waiting for connection.  I dont understand.  Both see the internet, disabling firewall didnt help.  I also did some searching and followed some steps to verifying ports were listening and they were.  What am I doing wrong?  Is it something stupid?  Thanks, Andrew

I did a Google search for that error message and it brought me here:

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Connections_Between_Computers

Looks like there are a lot of potential causes for this.  Since you can backup from your desktop to unRAID, it is unlikely the problem is with the unRAID docker.  More likely an issue on one of the routers, or the firewall/antivirus software on your father's computer.

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Connections_Between_Computers

Looks like there are a lot of potential causes for this.  Since you can backup from your desktop to unRAID, it is unlikely the problem is with the unRAID docker.  More likely an issue on one of the routers, or the firewall/antivirus software on your father's computer.

I dissabled the antivirus and firewall on his computer with no effect.  Would you suggest I do port forwarding on the routers?  I can expirement tonight.  I have his computer on my right monitor via teamviewer so I can mess around

I dissabled the antivirus and firewall on his computer with no effect.  Would you suggest I do port forwarding on the routers?  I can expirement tonight.  I have his computer on my right monitor via teamviewer so I can mess around

I have no experience running Crashplan this way, but it seems like either enabling UPnP or setting up port forwarding (on both routers) would allow the two systems to communicate.

Black screen in the UI.

Hi.

I played around with an early version of the docker - left it for some months, and now I have installed the newest version. I got it working fine first time.

Then after a day or two, my server got completely unresponsive. I can't say it's this Dockers fault, but the server is normally otherwise stable.

Now - after a hard reset, parity check and a few restarts, I'm trying to get the docker started again. I can start it, but when I go to the WebUI, either directly from the docker icon or from a VNC-client, there is just a black box and a mouse cursor.

How do I get the UI back?

Log attached.

Clipboard_Text.txt

I have been getting these errors from the log while running crashplan:

Connections: accepted: 127.0.0.1::40818

SConnection: Client needs protocol version 3.8

SConnection: Client requests security type None(1)

VNCSConnST: Server default pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888

VNCSConnST: Client pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888

Did not find /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf file.

I reinstall crashplan and it works for a while then it happens again. I have restarted my backup now about three times and it currently is giving me the error again. Do I have crashplan installed wrong?

/data I have set to /mnt/user/

/config I have set to /mnt/cache/appdata/crashplan

Am I missing something?

After reinstall I get the following :

Warning: could not find self.pem

No installed websockify, attempting to clone websockify...

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6

_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/Tower:1

_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

_XSERVTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.X11-unix will not be created.

Xvnc TigerVNC 1.6.0 - built Dec 24 2015 16:05:46

Copyright © 1999-2015 TigerVNC Team and many others (see README.txt)

See http://www.tigervnc.org for information on TigerVNC.

Underlying X server release 11202000, The X.Org Foundation

Mon Feb 29 21:47:25 2016

vncext: VNC extension running!

vncext: Listening for VNC connections on all interface(s), port 4279

vncext: created VNC server for screen 0

Feb 29 21:47:25 Tower syslog-ng[84]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'

Openbox-Message: Unable to find a valid menu file "/var/lib/openbox/debian-menu.xml"

Starting CrashPlan Desktop...

Using local websockify at /opt/novnc/utils/websockify/run

Starting webserver and WebSockets proxy on port 4280

Navigate to this URL:

http://Tower:4280/vnc.html?host=Tower&port=4280

Press Ctrl-C to exit

then I need to re-setup my backup from scratch

I reinstall crashplan and it works for a while then it happens again. I have restarted my backup now about three times and it currently is giving me the error again. Do I have crashplan installed wrong?

Am I missing something?

This kind of problem usually is related to the Mover script moving files from the cache disk to the array...

Am I missing something?

This kind of problem usually is related to the Mover script moving files from the cache disk to the array...

How do I stop this sorcery?

Am I missing something?

How do I stop this sorcery?

Go to Shares, select appdata and then set Use cache disk: to Only. Hit apply and you're done.

Any suggestions how I get it running properly again?

More documentation needed?

Black screen in the UI.

Hi.

I played around with an early version of the docker - left it for some months, and now I have installed the newest version. I got it working fine first time.

Then after a day or two, my server got completely unresponsive. I can't say it's this Dockers fault, but the server is normally otherwise stable.

Now - after a hard reset, parity check and a few restarts, I'm trying to get the docker started again. I can start it, but when I go to the WebUI, either directly from the docker icon or from a VNC-client, there is just a black box and a mouse cursor.

Log attached.

Black screen in the UI.

Hi.

Log attached.

Any suggestions how I get it running properly again?

More documentation needed?

Something may have been corrupted when the system crashed.  I'd probably delete the docker.img file and recreate it.

Something may have been corrupted when the system crashed.  I'd probably delete the docker.img file and recreate it.

Yes - I removed and reinstalled, and all is good now. Just had to redo configuration of what to backup. Thanks.

Hmm, the auto-update process for CrashPlan (Server) seems to be breaking this docker. Every now and then when I load the CrashPlan WebUI, there's an error that the UI has been disconnected from the CrashPlan engine.

Upon further inspection of the logs, it appears that the CrashPlan engine is attempting to auto-update itself and then restart itself. The thing is, it references /etc/init.d/crashplan which doesn't exist and thus I believe is the reason for failing to restart the engine.

Any workarounds? This has happened a half dozen times in the past few weeks. Short of setting a cron job to do a docker restart CrashPlan every few hours, I'm not sure how to permanently fix this.

Thanks,

Every now and then when I load the CrashPlan WebUI, there's an error that the UI has been disconnected from the CrashPlan engine.

Random crashes sound like CrashPlan is running out of memory, check the OP for a link to the CP website to diagnose.

Every now and then when I load the CrashPlan WebUI, there's an error that the UI has been disconnected from the CrashPlan engine.

Random crashes sound like CrashPlan is running out of memory, check the OP for a link to the CP website to diagnose.

Yeah that was the first thing I checked. I've been running CrashPlan for about 4 years now and consistently have to slowly increase my memory. Log files do not have any Memory errors that are typically present however.

I've reset my configuration and tried setting it back to 8192. I'll pull the logs (nuked them unfortunately) next time it crashes and post the relevant lines. I do think it's related to the auto-updater / restarting the docker container that's my issue at least.

So update on my crashing (still having it).

The Desktop app continually loses connection to the backup engine, however, the backup engine is still running.

Looking at the logs, the backup occurs everyday, as it's supposed to. Here's the behaviour I'm experiencing:

1. Start CrashPlan docker container

2. Everything works fine

3. After a few days (I've seen within 3 to up to 7-8 days), attempting to view the WebUI (Desktop) results in a "Connection to backup engine lost." When connecting to the interface.

4. Clicking the "OK" button in the WebUI dismissing the error but crashes the Desktop client, so that the WebUI is a black screen.

5. Looking at the logs on a nightly basis, the backup is still occurring, simply can't access the WebUI since its crashed.

The only way to revive the WebUI is to restart the Docker container.

This is not an engine out of memory error. The logs indicate that after a backup has completed that the Java heap is fine.

This has obviously only been happening since the Desktop client / Server were merged into a single container.

Any ideas?