[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Hi gfjardim,

Wonderful work on CrashPlan & Docker! :) 

For those of us (like me) who are older and not tech/docker savvy, is there a recommended CrashPlan setup (config files) from Server 1 (Tower) to Server 2 (Backup)?  I've struggled with this for several months, and occasionally get it going only to have it "crash" (pun ::) intended) again!  I'm sure that it's not quite as complicated as it seems, but going between the Servers and identifying the actual files has become a nightmare for me.  For example Backup Server 2 sees Tower, but trying to get to the Data Share and subsequent Directories etc. is nutz.

Like most of us, I have Movies/Music/TV shares along with Data.  I try to store most of my changing info into multiple Directories/Sub-Directories in the Data Share, but honestly many are inconsequential and if lost would not be tragic.  What has been tragic was my mess-up last year with my Movies/Music shares.  Yet they probably don't need to be backed up often (maybe once).  So my issue is how to setup the "Backup Server" to 1) create a backup of Movies/Music/TV (and perhaps any update for new products as added) and 2) routinely backup my Data files (daily/weekly/monthly or ???)? 

The other confusion is whether I am backing up to a Specific Drive (location) or a Share on Server 2.  If its a drive, that will be filled almost instantly but if its is a "share" then perhaps its split among several drives?

I know this was a long description, but even talking with CrashPlan/Code42 staff has them scratching their respective heads.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be most welcomed and appreciated!

Dave

I have a fairly basic question but I just want to be sure before I go to the trouble of trying to figure things out/set things up.

The crashplan docker is pretty much just for backing up a unraid box to somewhere else, not for backing up from other computer to the server? I am hoping I am wrong, I origonally had it in my head that maybe I could avoid cluttering up the computers in my house with having yet another prog running all the time in the background but...

If I am wrong and its possible to get the crashplan docker to reach out and backup other computers to the unraid box could someone point me to a link on how to set that up?

Thx!

I have a fairly basic question but I just want to be sure before I go to the trouble of trying to figure things out/set things up.

The crashplan docker is pretty much just for backing up a unraid box to somewhere else, not for backing up from other computer to the server? I am hoping I am wrong, I origonally had it in my head that maybe I could avoid cluttering up the computers in my house with having yet another prog running all the time in the background but...

If I am wrong and its possible to get the crashplan docker to reach out and backup other computers to the unraid box could someone point me to a link on how to set that up?

Thx!

Crashplan on unRAID can't "reach out" and backup your other computers. But if you install the crashplan client on those other computers they can backup to crashplan on unRAID (i.e. unRAID becomes a backup destination.) More info/links in the first post.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification.

I do have another question though. When you mentioned to refer to the first post I reread the faq and saw the part I think you were mentioning about installing crashplan on clients but I wanted to ask what is the value of having it on unraid if one already has to install it on the clients and set the unraid box as the destination?

Thanks again in advance!

I'd guess you mean you want the individual computers to just save to a network drive. There are lots of problems with that, such as permission issues, space issues, and not being able to control the bandwidth from the destination. 

Crashplan avoids this by running a service on the destination server. Clients send data to it, and it takes care of all the details.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I've had crashplan working in docker container for months, but I just connected to add some new backup folders, and found out that it hasn't backed up in almost 7 days.  Says there was an error connecting to the crashplan service.

I stopped the container and restarted it, but now when I try to access the WebUI like I had in the past, I get a black screen where the crashplan UI used to show.  I still get the chrome around it which says "Connected (unencrypted) to: CrashPlan", which I think is the VNC UI.

I have tried to force update the container but still no luck. Any ideas?

I've had crashplan working in docker container for months, but I just connected to add some new backup folders, and found out that it hasn't backed up in almost 7 days.  Says there was an error connecting to the crashplan service.

I stopped the container and restarted it, but now when I try to access the WebUI like I had in the past, I get a black screen where the crashplan UI used to show.  I still get the chrome around it which says "Connected (unencrypted) to: CrashPlan", which I think is the VNC UI.

Welcome to the club... For me it always has "connection" issues and after wasting many hours trying to make it work to no avail, I had to quit. I hope a new more serious version will come out one day.

Welcome to the club... For me it always has "connection" issues and after wasting many hours trying to make it work to no avail, I had to quit. I hope a new more serious version will come out one day.

Some extra info on this.

turns out that crashplan was reporting that my server was backing up. So even though there was no UI when I tried to view the "WebUI" launching from unraid docker screen, it looks like the engine was running.

I've tried to connect to my server port 4280 using two different windows VNC clients  (VNC Viewer and TightVNC) and both get rejected with an error close to "connection closed unexpectedly".

Hi people! Hopefully someone can help me. In the last days, I've had an issue with vnc where I cannot control the cursor in the vnc. It's as if my main cursor will go underneath the crashplan screen and I cannot move the vnc cursor, neither click. I can still use the keyboard though, and the vnc screen is definitely working.

I have been using this docker for couple weeks with no issues before now. I should say that I recently had the cache ssd fail, which  may have corrupted some data although I have not had any reason to believe so yet. Here are the logs from the docker, there are couple errors but I am not sure if they are relevant or not:

Fri Aug 12 17:34:05 2016
Connections: closed: 127.0.0.1::47619 (Clean disconnection)
EncodeManager: Framebuffer updates: 40
EncodeManager: Tight:
EncodeManager: Solid: 45 rects, 3.46657 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 720 B (1:19259.5 ratio)
EncodeManager: Bitmap RLE: 8 rects, 1.706 kpixels
EncodeManager: 312 B (1:22.1795 ratio)
EncodeManager: Indexed RLE: 45 rects, 75.863 kpixels
EncodeManager: 3.82129 KiB (1:77.6877 ratio)
EncodeManager: Tight (JPEG):
EncodeManager: Full Colour: 28 rects, 525.251 kpixels
EncodeManager: 126.924 KiB (1:16.1679 ratio)
EncodeManager: Total: 126 rects, 4.06939 Mpixels
EncodeManager: 131.753 KiB (1:120.662 ratio)

Terminating WebSockets proxy (137)
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/Tower:1
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

Xvnc TigerVNC 1.6.0 - built Dec 24 2015 16:05:46
Copyright (C) 1999-2015 TigerVNC Team and many others (see README.txt)
See http://www.tigervnc.org for information on TigerVNC.
Underlying X server release 11202000, The X.Org Foundation

Fri Aug 12 17:34:21 2016
vncext: VNC extension running!
vncext: Listening for VNC connections on all interface(s), port 4239
vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
Aug 12 17:34:21 Tower syslog-ng[40]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
Warning: could not find self.pem
Using local websockify at /opt/novnc/utils/websockify/run
Starting webserver and WebSockets proxy on port 4280

Navigate to this URL:

http://Tower:4280/vnc.html?host=Tower&port=4280

Has anyone managed to change 'run.conf' to increase the memory and keep it that way?

I keep increasing it to >2GB but something resets it at some point resulting it **** upload speeds..

How can we set it to change this value every time crashplan docker restarts?

Cheers!

Hey Interstellar, did you end up figuring this out?

Has anyone managed to change 'run.conf' to increase the memory and keep it that way?

I keep increasing it to >2GB but something resets it at some point resulting it **** upload speeds..

How can we set it to change this value every time crashplan docker restarts?

Cheers!

Hey Interstellar, did you end up figuring this out?

Sadly no - I'm assuming that you can specify a variable with this but from my 15 mins of searching and tinkering, nothing bar changing the actual run.conf results in increased memory limits.

gfjardim or some other clever docker owner may be able to work this out?

But guys... is still crashplan working for you???

Thankyou

Gus

Still working... Did not change anything..

Have you logged recently into crashplan vnc?

Are you backing up to crashplan servers?

Did you make any modification to the standard docker installation?

Thankyou

Gus

I thought it was working since crashplan send me an email as it wasn't backing up for x days.

I could connect to crashplan docker vnc an see all the options.

I restarted crashplan docker and since then black screen on vnc.

Beware if you think it's working.

If you stop-start docker you will know if it is really working.

BEWARE OF THIS I COULD BE WRONG BUT IT'S MY CASE.

Gus

Still working here....  2 recent extended power outages forced shutdowns. 

Confirmed that new files backed up to crashplan central upon autostart.

Confirmed that VNC Web Gui is fine. 

I only backup to crashplan central/no friend shares come or go from my install. 

On Unraid V.6.1.9

But guys... is still crashplan working for you???

Thankyou

Gus

Still working... Did not change anything..

Have you logged recently into crashplan vnc?

Are you backing up to crashplan servers?

Did you make any modification to the standard docker installation?

Thankyou

Gus

Yes

No to my own backup server

No, only the memory increase for the java stack heap