[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

I just discovered this really nice docker and it is running well.

Only thing I discovered it an error message from "Fix Commun Problems" plugin:

Docker application CrashPlan has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option

My USB drive is not attached right now, can this cause the message? I don#t know what the SLAVE option is....

2 hours ago, EdgarWallace said:

I just discovered this really nice docker and it is running well.

Only thing I discovered it an error message from "Fix Commun Problems" plugin:

Docker application CrashPlan has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option

My USB drive is not attached right now, can this cause the message? I don#t know what the SLAVE option is....

Reporting an error too:

I get the 'unable to connect to the backup engine' error.

Clicking on yes restarts the docker and brings up Crashplan.

But: upload is extremely slow (max 5 mbit. but most of the time 2,5 mbit. My upload max is 30mbit).

Second problem: it does not want to save settings! Dont now if this is related.

My CPU (atom D520) does pose something of a bottleneck, but without any dockers running and compression and encryption disabled (manually in XML) it only uses about 50 procent of all 4 cores. So I don;t think this could be the upload limiting factor?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for this link, trying the solution as we speak.

To run a shell in a docker:

1. Open telnet/ssh client and connect to unraid.

2. list dockers with: docker ps

3. Get the corosponding ID of the CrashPlan docker

4. command: docker exec -it DOCKERID  bash

then run the command as they noted in the link:

apt-get update && apt-get install python-xdg

This does get rid of the error in the log although mine still crashes. So now following the step a few post further. 

3 hours ago, robertoal said:

1. Open telnet/ssh client and connect to unraid.

2. list dockers with: docker ps

3. Get the corosponding ID of the CrashPlan docker

4. command: docker exec -it DOCKERID  bash

Easier to remove steps 2 & 3 and change 4 to be

docker exec -it NameOfContainer bash                    (technically should be /bin/bash though)

Thanks Squid! 

I tried to follow the steps noted here: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Code42_App_Does_Not_Run/Code42_App_Does_Not_Run_On_64-Bit_System

Which was linked in the post you mentioned. (Reinstalling CrashPlan)

But I get a permission error when running:

sudo ./uninstall.sh -i /usr/local/crashplan

sudo it does not recognize as a command, but SU does. Still nothing though.

Anyone any idea how to get root privelages?

@Michel - If I found out... sure!

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, cmer said:

What's the easy way to allocate more ram to Java? (if there is) 

This constantly crashes my machine unfortunately. Well know problem for Java apps...

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/6/Troubleshooting/Adjust_CrashPlan_settings_for_memory_usage_with_large_backups

http://www.geert.io/java-freezing-due-to-garbage-collector.html

What I do is to edit the file run.conf in bin folder (mine is located here: appdata/CrashPlan/bin)

Stop CrashPlan and edit the first line with a Linux editor (Notepad++): SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx3072m

I have set it to 3072 (3GB), think the default is 1024 (1 GB).

This is not actually allocated, it’s the limit on how much CrashPlan can allocate if needed.

This works for my 800.000 files, 14 TB.

11 minutes ago, Leifgg said:

What I do is to edit the file run.conf in bin folder (mine is located here: appdata/CrashPlan/bin)

Stop CrashPlan and edit the first line with a Linux editor (Notepad++): SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx3072m

I have set it to 3072 (3GB), think the default is 1024 (1 GB).

This is not actually allocated, it’s the limit on how much CrashPlan can allocate if needed.

This works for my 800.000 files, 14 TB.

Awesome thanks so much! I knew there'd be a quick way to fix this :)

17M files, 9.1TB here. We'll see if your settings do the trick. I might have to bump it to 4096.

Edited by cmer
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm having trouble configuring the CrashPlan docker to receive backups from other computers.  Previously it was working, but it was backing up to my docker.img.  I've followed the steps on the first page of this forum thread and I created a share called "CrashplanTower" and I've pointed the Unraid Crashplan app to backup to that location.  However, on my desktop computer (the computer I'm trying to backup from) it gives an error "Destination unavailable - backup location is not accessible".  It does have the green status ball next to the Tower computer so it is communicating with the Unraid Tower, but it seems to be saying that particular location is not accessible.  I've checked my docker settings and I have given read/write permissions to that share folder.  What do I need to check next?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 3:43 PM, zero_koop said:

Hi, I'm having trouble configuring the CrashPlan docker to receive backups from other computers.  Previously it was working, but it was backing up to my docker.img.  I've followed the steps on the first page of this forum thread and I created a share called "CrashplanTower" and I've pointed the Unraid Crashplan app to backup to that location.  However, on my desktop computer (the computer I'm trying to backup from) it gives an error "Destination unavailable - backup location is not accessible".  It does have the green status ball next to the Tower computer so it is communicating with the Unraid Tower, but it seems to be saying that particular location is not accessible.  I've checked my docker settings and I have given read/write permissions to that share folder.  What do I need to check next?  Thanks.

I'm still hoping someone could help me with this problem if anyone is monitoring the thread.  I tried reinstalling the desktop software in case that was the issue, but it didn't help.  I've changed a few settings on the server docker config in hopes that it might fix a setting that didn't stick before, but no luck.  This is basically my path settings in the docker:

/ExternalDataStorage/ ---> /mnt/user/CrashplanTower/
/config ---> /mnt/user/appdata/crashplan
/data/ ---> /mnt/user/

Where /ExternalDataStorage is where I want my desktop backup files to go and /data is where the server files are that I backup to CrashPlan Central.

In CrashPlan, the location of inbound backups is configurable both globally and per-computer.  Changing the global setting doesn't affect per-computer one.

If you get the "Destination unavailable - backup location is not accessible" error, click on the name of the computer/friend associated to this error, and than fix the location of the inbound backup for it.

On 7/1/2017 at 9:17 PM, Djoss said:

In CrashPlan, the location of inbound backups is configurable both globally and per-computer.  Changing the global setting doesn't affect per-computer one.

If you get the "Destination unavailable - backup location is not accessible" error, click on the name of the computer/friend associated to this error, and than fix the location of the inbound backup for it.

Hmm, well it appears the per-computer setting is already correct.  It says the location is:

data>CrashplanTower>CrashplanTowerDataFolder>7709...

I made a folder in the CrashplanTower share called "CrashplanTowerDataFolder" in hopes that it would help.  It also appears that Crashplan is trying to place it in another subfolder that starts with 7709...

In my Docker settings I have the Network Type set to "host".  I don't really know what that means, but perhaps I should set it to "bridge"?

8 minutes ago, zero_koop said:

Hmm, well it appears the per-computer setting is already correct.  It says the location is:

data>CrashplanTower>CrashplanTowerDataFolder>7709...

If this location is correct inside the container, then you may have ownership/permissions issues with the files.  Double check files and folders under /mnt/user/CrashplanTower to make sure CrashPlan can access and write them.

12 minutes ago, zero_koop said:

I made a folder in the CrashplanTower share called "CrashplanTowerDataFolder" in hopes that it would help.  It also appears that Crashplan is trying to place it in another subfolder that starts with 7709...

7709... is the UID of the remote computer.

13 minutes ago, zero_koop said:

In my Docker settings I have the Network Type set to "host".  I don't really know what that means, but perhaps I should set it to "bridge"?

You should keep the default setting, which is "host" I think for this container.

I figured out my problem, but I need advice because I'm not comfortable with the solution.  Previously I had given the CrashPlan docker READ access to /mnt/user because that is where all of my shares are and I want CrashPlan to backup from multiple shares.  I then gave the docker READ/WRITE access to /mnt/user/CrashplanTower/ which is the specific share that I wanted it to have write access to for incoming backups.  I fixed my problem by giving the docker READ/WRITE access to /mnt/user (and I removed the other path to /mnt/user/CrashplanTower/) but that makes me a little uncomfortable because now in theory the CrashPlan docker could (either through a bug, improper config, or malicious attack) destroy my data on the server with WRITE access.

How should I configure this?  I think I know a way that would work, but seems a little cumbersome.  I could add multiple path mappings with one for each share that I want to backup from and give it only read access.  Is that the only real way?

Thanks for the advice.