[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Ok I think your error is that the inbound backup location should be /ExternalDataStorage/CrashplanTowerDataFolder>7709...

You said previously that your path mappings were:

/ExternalDataStorage/ ---> /mnt/user/CrashplanTower/  [For inbound backups]
/data/ ---> /mnt/user/  [Data to be backup]

The first one should have R/W access.

The second one should have read-only access.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Djoss said:

Ok I think your error is that the inbound backup location should be /ExternalDataStorage/CrashplanTowerDataFolder>7709...

You said previously that your path mappings were:

/ExternalDataStorage/ ---> /mnt/user/CrashplanTower/  [For inbound backups]
/data/ ---> /mnt/user/  [Data to be backup]

The first one should have R/W access.

The second one should have read-only access.

It didn't actually let me select that folder "7709..." as the backup location because it hadn't been created yet.  The way you described the path mappings and permissions is actually how I had to setup originally.  The problem is, I think, that the read-only access on /mnt/user was overwritting the r/w access on /mnt/user/CrashplanTower/ because it is a subfolder of the former.

I just hit an odd situation that may or may not be related to CrashPlan, so I'm asking to see if there's anything here that might be worth pursing.

As detailed in my post here, I discovered an odd directory in /mnt/user that I've not created manually. I have a ".Trash-99" directory there that was created on 4 Jun 2017. There was a suggestion in my post that it might be something created by Ubuntu as a recycle bin and if something had a mapping to /mnt/user, it might be the culprit for creating this. As CrashPlan is one of two dockers that have a mapping to /mnt/user, I'm asking here.

A) Has anyone else seen this directory created?

B) Was there a release on or about 4th June that may have unintentionally included creating a Recycle Bin?

C) Does anyone have any thoughts at all as to any other cause for this directory to have appeared?

For some reason, Crashplan isn't backing up on the schedule I've given it. I'm aware that there isn't a way to tell it to run a backup "at this exact time," but I wanted it to run a backup at around midnight. I've set the "Backup will run" setting between 12:00AM and 3:30AM. I've noticed so far it has not backed up during this window at all. It's backed up one time outside of that window and now there hasn't been a backup at all within the last 24 hours. Under the summary it does say that backup is scheduled to begin at 12:00 AM. It also says that a backup was done in the last 11 hours, but I find that hard to believe since I don't see any files in the backup that I've uploaded to my shares before that time.

I've included a shot of my schedule and frequency/retention policy. Am I missing something?

schedule.jpg

Edited by Phastor
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to restore from a backup that's stored on another computer on my network. The problem is it's telling me that "there is not enough space available to restore". I haven't changed any settings to the share, but files were removed from the share which is why I want to restore from it. What can be the issue? Plenty of space available.

Edit: Think I figured it out, was trying to restore to root. Changed that and looks to be starting the restore.

Edited by ptirmal
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got an email from Crashplan saying that they are leaving the consumer market.

Hello,

Thank you for being a CrashPlan® for Home customer. We're honored that you’ve trusted us to protect your data.

It's because of this trust that we want you to know that we have shifted our business strategy to focus on the enterprise and small business segments. This means that over the next 14 months we will be exiting the consumer market and you must choose another option for data backup before your subscription expires. We are committed to providing you with an easy and efficient transition.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU

We will honor your existing CrashPlan for Home subscription, keeping your data safe, as always, until your current subscription expires. 

To allow you time to transition to a new backup solution, we've extended your subscription (at no cost to you) by 60 days. Your new subscription expiration date is 11/07/2017.

YOUR CHOICES

Your first step is to consider the options below, available exclusively for CrashPlan for Home customers. Once you make your selection, no further action is required until your new expiration date. We will send you reminders well before your CrashPlan for Home subscription ends.

3 minutes ago, Thomas_K said:

I haven't got an email yet, but what are the alternatives??

None at the moment. And it is a real pain: Crashplan was working like a charm, and now I have to re-start looking for another provider that I can embed in UNRaid... bummer :(

1 minute ago, Garani said:

None at the moment. And it is a real pain: Crashplan was working like a charm, and now I have to re-start looking for another provider that I can embed in UNRaid... bummer :(

I'm in exactly the same boat. Probably most of us are. I switched all my machines to back up to my unRAID box and CrashPlan to cloud it all. Now what? Argh.

Switch to business and you get this:

Back up for free until the end of your current CrashPlan for Home subscription, then enjoy a 75% discount for your next 12 months. After that, CrashPlan for Small Business costs $10 per device each month.

You can migrate 5TB of storage. But PC to PC backups will be gone.

That 5TB is per device limit with the business accounts.

Edited by plupien79
2 minutes ago, plupien79 said:

Switch to business and you get this:

Back up for free until the end of your current CrashPlan for Home subscription, then enjoy a 75% discount for your next 12 months. After that, CrashPlan for Small Business costs $10 per device each month.

Which is $4 more expensive then the Home edition and does not allow Peer-to-Peer backup.

5 minutes ago, aptalca said:
18 minutes ago, NeoDude said:
Business is limited to 5TB though. Useless for me. I almost feel like asking for a full refund from the beginning. What's the point of a cloud backup service if they are just going to wipe it randomly with 60 days notice.

Not 60 days, over a year. Oct 2018

It's 60 days added to the end of your subscription period, e.g mine runs out in Jan, so I get until March 2018 to move away.  Others probably have a significantly reduced amount of time compared to that as well.

The biggest annoyance is that even if you agree to their Small Business terms, you still can't have computer-to-computer backups. So it's not straightforward to maintain both on-site and cloud backups. This was CrashPlan's biggest advantage and they just abandoned it. So it's not just a price increase, it's a feature reduction too. 

I've had the unfortunate experience of using Carbonite in the past. I don't think I'll be switching. I'm not sure what my plan is. I have until May to figure it out. 

This sucks, I make very heavy use of computer to computer backups, now I am going to have to re-think my entire backup strategy and infrastructure.  This doesn't just affect me either, my parents and in-laws both back up to my unraid server.

I *just* started backing up to Backblaze B2 which helps for the cloud part but I wanted redundant cloud backups and does nothing for computer to computer backups.

47 minutes ago, NeoDude said:

Business is limited to 5TB though. Useless for me. I almost feel like asking for a full refund from the beginning. What's the point of a cloud backup service if they are just going to wipe it randomly with 60 days notice.

Just and FYI, business is still unlimited. The transfer of data from home to business is limited to 5TB. Once transferred to business, you can continue to backup an unlimited amount.