[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Well I guess I'm 'glad' I hadn't gotten around to cloud backup yet. What a waste of time that would have been.

I guess we wait fro the brilliant minds to give us an unRAID friendly alternative...

Does the existing unRAID docker support Small Business?

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Does the existing unRAID docker support Small Business?

I don't think so. I know the Small Business plan had a different Pro application, which was different to the standard home install.

I'm sure that the docker container could be changed/updated to suit though.

Well isn't this a groin kick...

My 6TB+ back-up just finished two days ago.

That said, CP for small business does do unlimited storage, and, local backups.  I think the most frustrating part is having to start a massive data backup from scratch.  I will be buying an external drive for local backup, and, hope that it serves as a decent level of redundancy while I begin the process anew, closer to when my subscription ends.

Hopefully a docker will be available by then.

So I think there's some confusion, to me too. But I think here's my understanding in looking through spread out information.

So I do believe that @J.Nerdy is correct in that CP for small business does offer UNLIMITED backup (not 5 TB) from a excerpt when you go to crashplan for home now.

Simply click below to learn about our unlimited, automatic, secure cloud backup solution at an affordable monthly price of just $10 per month, per device. No hidden fees to set up or restore. 

And now to address the 5TB thing that people have mentioned. It seems that when you click the learn more link to crashplan for small business, you can MIGRATE your cloud backps that are 5TB and smaller. So I read this as you have to start over your backups after the 5TB limit. I haven't gone through the migration but that's how I'm reading the information. 

Now another reason I don't want to migrate to even confirm is I don't know if this docker support small business acounts as others have mentioned. Would like to know if someone has it working with a small business account.

So I think there's some confusion, to me too. But I think here's my understanding in looking through spread out information.

So I do believe that @J.Nerdy is correct in that CP for small business does offer UNLIMITED backup (not 5 TB) from a excerpt when you go to crashplan for home now.

Simply click below to learn about our unlimited, automatic, secure cloud backup solution at an affordable monthly price of just $10 per month, per device. No hidden fees to set up or restore. 

And now to address the 5TB thing that people have mentioned. It seems that when you click the learn more link to crashplan for small business, you can MIGRATE your cloud backps that are 5TB and smaller. So I read this as you have to start over your backups after the 5TB limit. I haven't gone through the migration but that's how I'm reading the information. 

Now another reason I don't want to migrate to even confirm is I don't know if this docker support small business acounts as others have mentioned. Would like to know if someone has it working with a small business account.

I did some quick research, here's the facts I found that told me all I needed to know to form an opinion.

-- The screenshots for the GUI of CrashPlan's Small Business app look different than this one we currently use as Home users. 

-- The pricing is $10/month, which is roughly double what we pay now as Home users for 12 months

-- Small business won't have all the same features we presently have.

I'll save the effort of expressing my opinion and use it more constructively on finding an alternative during the next year, as I had recently renewed for another year prior to this announcement.

@gfjardim thank you for your contribution to providing and supporting this container. It's been solid and proved it's value over the last 14 months I've used it. If it continues to be supported until it's final end a year from now, that's 2+ years to be proud of. Cheers!

Edited by Lev
2 hours ago, Lev said:

I did some quick research, here's the facts I found that told me all I needed to know to form an opinion.

-- The screenshots for the GUI of CrashPlan's Small Business app look different than this one we currently use as Home users. 

-- The pricing is $10/month, which is roughly double what we pay now as Home users for 12 months

-- Small business won't have all the same features we presently have.

I'll save the effort of expressing my opinion and use it more constructively on finding an alternative during the next year, as I had recently renewed for another year prior to this announcement.

@gfjardim thank you for your contribution to providing and supporting this container. It's been solid and proved it's value over the last 14 months I've used it. If it continues to be supported until it's final end a year from now, that's 2+ years to be proud of. Cheers!

Its double... per device.  That's the part that rubs me wrong.  I had 6 devices backing up on home (including my server)... that would take me from $129/yr  to $720/yr...

YIKES

4 hours ago, Ben said:

It's 60 days added to the end of your subscription period, e.g mine runs out in Jan, so I get until March 2018 to move away.  Others probably have a significantly reduced amount of time compared to that as well.

I have till November 7th, as I'm on the monthly subscription.

I'm already looking at other solutions like Arq or GoodSync running in a Windows VM and syncing to Amazon S3.

Argh.

@gfjardim Your work on this CrashPlan container has been outstanding. Believe it or not, it's one of the reasons I chose unRAID over some other solutions (backup was one of my reasons to build the server in the first place). Great job! It's unfortunate that we have to look for other solutions now.

Edited by ksignorini
  • Upvote 1

Annoying I just switched from Amazon Cloud drive and I was a few TB into this and now its done.  I guess the plus side is I have until Sept 2018 + 75% off for another year which isn't bad either as long as this or another "pro" docker works with the small business plan.  It's pretty much 2 years to re-evaluate.

I was already backing up my other PCs (just relevant folders) with synctoy so not missing anything there.

I guess there isnt a way to mount the shares directly into a windows VM and run blackblaze is there?

I'm also on a monthly plan, so I have until early November. I am actually beyond frustrated as I just started using CrashPlan in April and it took over a month to upload all my data. I will probably be moving away from CrashPlan unless the Pro docker becomes available soon. My backup plan is to switch to Duplicati and various external HDDs that I rotate between my home and Office. 

1 hour ago, Djoss said:

Maybe CloudBerry Backup (available on unRAID as Docker container) could be an alternative for some. It can backup to multiple cloud providers, including Amazon S3 and Backblaze B2.

@Djoss So I'm looking at your unRAID docker for CloudBerry Backup but it doesn't seem to have Amazon Glacier access. Glacier looks to be the cheapest alternative out there to CrashPlan. Any ideas if CloudBerry can connect to Glacier with this version?

Similar to other users, the CrashPlan docker was a big reason for me using unRAID. I'm really disappointed by this news. I guess I'll have to keep my eye on the forums and see what becomes available as a replacement.

Also, I'll add my thanks to @gfjardim for their work on this docker. It's been reliable as a backup solution should be. Thanks!

I switched to CrashPlan after spending most of 2 years waiting for my initial backup (< 1 TB of data, probably 6-750GB) to Carbonite to complete. My initial backup to CrashPlan finished in about 45 days. So far I've found nothing about an automatic migration of data from CP to Carbonite - it would be great if they would do it on their pipes for us, but I doubt that's gonna happen. :(

Amusingly /sarcasm, Carbonite recommended their "Core" plan with a limit of 250GB (less than 10% of the data I've currently got backed up to CP!) of storage for me at a mere $270/year. But wait, I get 50% off!! I'm pretty sure the Basic plan at $60/year with unlimited data would be more than sufficient. Wonder if I can get my 50% discount on that plan.

I may make a dummy account, sign up for their free trial (I wonder if they still have that), and see if I can get their backup engine to run on my Win10 machine and follow a symlink to the server and backup the server. If that works, I guess I can live with slower speed unless/until one of our local geniuses comes up with a better option...

Maybe I'll invest in a couple of 4TB externals, backup to one of them with SyncBack and swap them out at the office weekly-ish for my off site backup. At least I have until April to find a solution.

/rant 

I'll add a huge shout-out to @gfjardim for all his (?) efforts making the CP docker and keeping it functional for all of us.

Edited by FreeMan
1 hour ago, RAINMAN said:

I guess there isnt a way to mount the shares directly into a windows VM and run blackblaze is there?

Last time I attempted it, I couldn't do it in a few hours of best effort. Let me put it this way, it's not easy intentionally by their design to ensure that it only backs up local drives on Windows PC's.

I wouldn't say it's impossible cause there was still a few more methods I didn't try, but at that point I gave up. They win, and I have to give them credit to for it. I was a good lesson I needed to learn, asking myself what extremes was I willing to go thru to make this work that even if I was to find a way, my confidence was lost should I have to restore from it someday, that it'd work. What good is any backup if you have no confidence you cannot restore it.

2 minutes ago, Lev said:

Last time I attempted it, I couldn't do it in a few hours of best effort

I'll assume you did, but it's always worth asking... Did you try symbolic links?

When I was running CrashPlan on my Win7 machine, that's how I was getting it to backup my unRAID box. I just put a symlink in My Documents and it merrily followed along. I couldn't get that to work from Win10, though, and I figured the CP docker on the server was a better bet anyway.

I suggest to anyone, do a self assessment of how much data do you really need to back up that is not replaceable thru some means. Whatever that size is, ensure you've got a multiple backups in plan for that irreplaceable data first and foremost, always. I've got two backups I employ... 

1) CrashPlan or another real-time system.

2) Multiple hard drives that I've retired from use in my array that were functioning fine, just too small. Each has the same data on it and every few months I go to the bank and swap in a fresh backup on a drive and remove the oldest one in safety deposit box to use next time I go.

5 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

I'll assume you did, but it's always worth asking... Did you try symbolic links?

I tried I recall, at least I'm aware that was a method. All I remember at some point whether it was that, or trying Window's NFS or iSCSI support, I ran into the feature not being supporting on the licensed version of Windows I was using at the time. i.e. Home vs Pro vs Enterprise editions. 

From the Code42 FAQ:

"Yes. You can back up NAS devices with Carbonite Core, or any of Carbonite's other business plans." (emphasis mine).

i.e. it's gonna cost ya!

"Yes. You can back up external hard drives with Carbonite for Home (Plus and Prime) and Carbonite Core."

i.e. not the basic, $5/month plan.

"Carbonite for Home and Carbonite Core do not support Linux. Carbonite Evault supports Linux and offers many other advanced backup features."

i.e. it's gonna cost ya!

Really looking forward to the hive mind options!

Edited by FreeMan

@Djoss So I'm looking at your unRAID docker for CloudBerry Backup but it doesn't seem to have Amazon Glacier access. Glacier looks to be the cheapest alternative out there to CrashPlan. Any ideas if CloudBerry can connect to Glacier with this version?

Answered in the CloudBerry Backup thread !
2 hours ago, xleejohnx said:

true true 

what other options do we have that dont cost an arm and a leg?

Probably depends on your needs.  At this time I'm aware of only a single option, at any price, that meets all of:

1. Cross platform, including under linux so it could theoretically be Dockerized
  2. Offers offsite backup (Unraid+machines to cloud)
  3. Permits centralized local backup (Machines to Unraid)
  4. Offers versioning/deleted file protection

CrashPlan Business gets 1/2/4, but can't do 3.  It can backup to local or external drive, but not directly to the Unraid Docker.  The Dropbox-like sync options get 1/2/3, but not 4.  Carbonite and Backblaze lacks 1 and 3 since they don't have a linux client.

Maybe someone else can chime in, but the only other service I'm aware of that can do everything CrashPlan Home could do is SpiderOak.  I had been with SpiderOak for a number of years before I switched to CrashPlan.  The service was great, but the app was terrible.  I see it's gotten an overhaul.  Perhaps it's an option for us.  Only the limited 1TB plan is price-competitive with CrashPlan Home, though, and (perhaps wisely?) there's no unlimited option.

Looks like they'll be trying to grab some of us:

https://twitter.com/SpiderOak/status/900116225833000960

Edited by Gizmotoy
  • Upvote 1