[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

9 hours ago, tmchow said:

It’s $5 per month more per machine

True, but you can setup your other PCs to backup to unraid then backup the unraid array to crashplan pro.  Generally you don't need a full system image backed up from each PC.  I just setup each to backup all the user folders and some others that are important.  If you wanted full images you could use another software to do system backups to unraid then use crashplan pro so its really only 1 machine you need to have a licence for.  Thats an option at least.

51 minutes ago, RAINMAN said:

True, but you can setup your other PCs to backup to unraid then backup the unraid array to crashplan pro.  Generally you don't need a full system image backed up from each PC.  I just setup each to backup all the user folders and some others that are important.  If you wanted full images you could use another software to do system backups to unraid then use crashplan pro so its really only 1 machine you need to have a licence for.  Thats an option at least.

What software did you use for the PC's to backup to unRAID? Is the CP Home software with computer to computer backup functionality still available after they close is down?

3 minutes ago, rjbaat said:

What software did you use for the PC's to backup to unRAID? Is the CP Home software with computer to computer backup functionality still available after they close is down?

I am currently just using synctoy on a schedule to backup specific folders.  I had used syncovery in the past as well as Easeus Todo Backup but I found full system images took too much space for little value.  I really only need my user directory and a few others.

I just reviewed the install procedure for crashplan small business and it looks like the existing docker can be modified relatively easily as the install looks basically the same.  The issue is the download link is only available from the console in your account.  I'm not sure how this would work for the docker.  Maybe it can be set as a variable?

I'm sure it won't change a thing, but you never know if enough people provide feedback so I emailed Crashplan some feedback.

Specifically I asked for them to consider a Home Lite solution that allows for peer-to-peer backups.   If I could keep the peer-to-peer feature I would be much happier as I took advantage of the feature a lot and loved the encryption and such used so i could trust storing the data on servers I didn't directly manage. I was actually in progress of building a large unraid server that I was going to store at my parents house and Crashplan was going to be big part in my plans to duplicate/backup data from my unraid server.

Worst part is my service had just renewed, I really want to wash my hands of this right away at this point now that I know it can not be my long term solution.

1 hour ago, jaj08 said:

I'm sure it won't change a thing, but you never know if enough people provide feedback so I emailed Crashplan some feedback.

Specifically I asked for them to consider a Home Lite solution that allows for peer-to-peer backups.   If I could keep the peer-to-peer feature I would be much happier as I took advantage of the feature a lot and loved the encryption and such used so i could trust storing the data on servers I didn't directly manage. I was actually in progress of building a large unraid server that I was going to store at my parents house and Crashplan was going to be big part in my plans to duplicate/backup data from my unraid server.

Worst part is my service had just renewed, I really want to wash my hands of this right away at this point now that I know it can not be my long term solution.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that emailed them.

12 hours ago, Gizmotoy said:

Probably depends on your needs.  At this time I'm aware of only a single option, at any price, that meets all of:

1. Cross platform, including under linux so it could theoretically be Dockerized
  2. Offers offsite backup (Unraid+machines to cloud)
  3. Permits centralized local backup (Machines to Unraid)
  4. Offers versioning/deleted file protection

CrashPlan Business gets 1/2/4, but can't do 3.  It can backup to local or external drive, but not directly to the Unraid Docker.  The Dropbox-like sync options get 1/2/3, but not 4.  Carbonite and Backblaze lacks 1 and 3 since they don't have a linux client.

Maybe someone else can chime in, but the only other service I'm aware of that can do everything CrashPlan Home could do is SpiderOak.  I had been with SpiderOak for a number of years before I switched to CrashPlan.  The service was great, but the app was terrible.  I see it's gotten an overhaul.  Perhaps it's an option for us.  Only the limited 1TB plan is price-competitive with CrashPlan Home, though, and (perhaps wisely?) there's no unlimited option.

Looks like they'll be trying to grab some of us:

https://twitter.com/SpiderOak/status/900116225833000960

and 5... I get to be in control of the Encryption key. Crashplan claimed that you could generate your own using the custom key option, which I did.

Actually the small business deal is not so bad... At least not if you compare it to the online home option.. I was backuping to the crashplan home cloud, this subscription just continues to small business and after it continues for a yeat at a 75% discount, that works out to EUR 2,50 each month... That is cheaper then the crashplan home option... I am covered untill into 2019 this way.. At that we'll see what happens..

What I am missing is the "backup to another server at home or a friend" option..

I am actually still waiting for limetech to build in a "server mirror/backup" option.. Something to keep two servers in sync.. This would be of great benefit, probably not to difficult (mainly some rsync options) and it will be a great way to sell extra server licenses..

JonP ?  Something like that in the works ?  It was on the agenda at some point..

Yeah, but regardless of the CrashPlan plans themselves, we must have an unRAID compatible docker application, or CrashPlan is out. Honestly, with Backblaze B2 pricing as good as it is, and the CloudBerry Backup client working so nicely as an unRAID docker, I'm probably just going to go that way. B2 isn't as cheap as CrashPlan of course, but it's not what I would call expensive (where Amazon S3 Standard is expensive).

So I had a chat with CrashPlan support and I got information, that after finishing migration and entering new key the application should update itself to Small Business version. That would be in a standard Linux distribution. The support person said that they don't officially support unraid version, so they can't vouch for it.

@ gfjardim Do we know anything about that? Will there be a separate Small Business container? 

5 minutes ago, Trylo said:

So I had a chat with CrashPlan support and I got information, that after finishing migration and entering new key the application should update itself to Small Business version. That would be in a standard Linux distribution. The support person said that they don't officially support unraid version, so they can't vouch for it.

@ gfjardim Do we know anything about that? Will there be a separate Small Business container? 

There's some discussion here about this:  

I asked for further confirmation.

Full discussion:  

Edited by RCD
39 minutes ago, Helmonder said:

Actually the small business deal is not so bad... At least not if you compare it to the online home option.. I was backuping to the crashplan home cloud, this subscription just continues to small business and after it continues for a yeat at a 75% discount, that works out to EUR 2,50 each month... That is cheaper then the crashplan home option... I am covered untill into 2019 this way.. At that we'll see what happens..

My understanding is the 75% discount is only for first year.  Do we know the pricing beyond first year yet?

I only really need the backup to external disk and cloud (why aren't you guys saving files to centralized server...?). Versioning would be a + but not my hill to die on and something that doesn't cost a fortune (and is secure) would be nice. 

Just need a working, unRAID compatible docker that fits that....

I can confirm that the application in this container is automatically upgraded to the pro version after migrating. My backup is almost 4TB so I could simply convert, backup process is running just as before but now using Pro account.
Now just another solution is needed for backing up my laptop to a share in unraid and I am done. Until february 2019 for lower costs, after that we will see:)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, pjrellum said:

I can confirm that the application in this container is automatically upgraded to the pro version after migrating. My backup is almost 4TB so I could simply convert, backup process is running just as before but now using Pro account.
Now just another solution is needed for backing up my laptop to a share in unraid and I am done. Until february 2019 for lower costs, after that we will see:)

Interesting. So if we update our CP accounts everything continues o work tickety-boo on uR (minus the multiple PC's)?

That's good news! Thanks for being the guinea pig!

6 minutes ago, pjrellum said:

What did you have to do? Just change the license key? And the migration process was the same as it was with the home version?

What did you have to do? Just change the license key? And the migration process was the same as it was with the home version?

I clicked the button in their mail, logged in, selected only my unraid server and confirmed.
After that I logged in to the online dashboad, there was a warning that I needed to (re)confirm my payment method. The dashboard told me that he backup was running.
After that I opened my crashplan ui and indeed, the backup was running and the app was now blue.
So nothing else to do but select some options and confirm, I am done for now:)

• Upvote 1
I called code42 a few hours ago to order my data set to be sent to me on her. That's no longer offered! Crashplan? Disaster recovery? Sure, if you have 2 word docs! I have 9TB!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That is bad:( Fortunately I only have 4TB until now, but there are many that are out of options it seems there...