[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

I called code42 a few hours ago to order my data set to be sent to me on her. That's no longer offered! Crashplan? Disaster recovery? Sure, if you have 2 word docs! I have 9TB!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I almost forgot to add the fact that they're only migrating 6TB to the new platform as well.

I almost forgot to add the fact that they're only migrating 6TB to the new platform as well.

5 even if I remember correctly. If you have more than that you have to start over. The amount you can store is still unlimited, but the migration is limited to 5TB. This is instantly done though.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Given the latest confirmation about the way it works for seamless upgrade, CrashPlan Business seems like the right way to go to support unlimited data. Spideroak and others have limits.

My crashplane home subscription goes until Nov 2018, but wonder if I should just upgrade now to lock in the 75% discount.

4 minutes ago, isvein said:

What does people plan to use for pc to unraid and unraid to unraid backup?

For unRAID to unRAID, I am just using the script documented at:

It works very well and is fairly quick at copying new files.  Both servers are still on the local network, but, I plan to move one offsite in the future when I am satisfied everything is working as expected and the process is reliable.

The OP is syncing between servers in the US and China and reports very good results.  I used his script and modified it for two servers on the same LAN (still using SSH) for now. The backup server sleeps 15 minutes after the sync ends and the script wakes it when it is time to receive the new files.  It's all automated through the User Scripts plugin. It is not setup for file versioning, but, I found the other day an rsync command that does do versioning and history if that is needed.  I haven't tried that as I don't really need it.  I am only copying new files and not deleting anything on the backup server if it exists there but not on the primary server.

44 minutes ago, pjrellum said:

It seems to be like that yes, all seems normal in the online dashboard as well, so far so good:)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Just upgraded. Have to log on to uR server when I get home and confirm everything's working as it should but thanks again :) 

After some research, Crashplan Business still seems like a good deal. Crashplan Home was just a fantastic, market-beating deal. Folks like those at r\Datahoarder that were getting cheap storage for 40+ TB probably ruined it for us. A lot of alternatives aren't unlimited, or like Backblaze and others, have limited file retention and file versioning.

SpiderOak is an option for many, and I keep paying because I managed to snag an unlimited account during a limited time offer they ran, but I barely use it. The app is lousy and after catching it several times not updating a handful of files I lost a bit of confidence. But, if someone brings a docker in house, I'll probably give it a shot. Maybe under linux it's more reliable.

If not, Crashplan Business it is...

Also, syncthing has a docker too, I use that to backup some work files to UNRAID for Crashplan to then send to the cloud. Clunky but reliable so far. Syncovery may be superior, haven't tried it.

EDIT: SpiderOak could probably run in a VM as well, but I hate to add the overhead of a VM just for SO.

Edited by w76
58 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Does it overwrite changed existing files with a possibly corrupt new version?

I assume, that, yes, a changed existing file (corrupt or not) would overwrite the same named file in the same location on the backup server.  I don't know if rsync has a way of verifying file integrity before copying.  I have never researched that.  Perhaps someone else has the answer.

So far, all of my tests have been with new files and I have been able to verify that all new files in the user shares do get copied to the backup server.  That's another change I made in my script.  The original script was written to copy from diskx to diskx (/mnt/diskx/) in the backup server.  I don't have the same number and size of disks in the backup, so, I modified the script to do it by user shares (/mnt/user/{sharename}/.  It seems to handle that with no problem; not that I suspected it would not.

18 hours ago, Gizmotoy said:

Probably depends on your needs.  At this time I'm aware of only a single option, at any price, that meets all of:

1. Cross platform, including under linux so it could theoretically be Dockerized
  2. Offers offsite backup (Unraid+machines to cloud)
  3. Permits centralized local backup (Machines to Unraid)
  4. Offers versioning/deleted file protection

CrashPlan Business gets 1/2/4, but can't do 3.  It can backup to local or external drive, but not directly to the Unraid Docker.  The Dropbox-like sync options get 1/2/3, but not 4.  Carbonite and Backblaze lacks 1 and 3 since they don't have a linux client.

Maybe someone else can chime in, but the only other service I'm aware of that can do everything CrashPlan Home could do is SpiderOak.  I had been with SpiderOak for a number of years before I switched to CrashPlan.  The service was great, but the app was terrible.  I see it's gotten an overhaul.  Perhaps it's an option for us.  Only the limited 1TB plan is price-competitive with CrashPlan Home, though, and (perhaps wisely?) there's no unlimited option.

Looks like they'll be trying to grab some of us:

https://twitter.com/SpiderOak/status/900116225833000960

Just curious which version you were using. Their "One" version looks to be the lowest cost ($1/month less than CrashPlan Small Business), but that does indeed look limited. For my 2.6TB, I don't think they've got a cost-effective version.

Has anyone been able to figure out how long the 75% discount is valid for? With a couple of people acting as Guinea Pigs for us - thanks @pjrellum and @J.R.! - this seems to be a viable option, and, as folks have mentioned, backing up one machine isn't inordinately more expensive than the old version.

I'm using SyncBackFree to push from each of my home Win10 machines to unRAID then letting CP back that up to their cloud. I'll miss being able to have my kids backup their laptops from school to my server, though. Maybe I'll enable SFTP locally and have SyncBack use that as the destination from their lappies...

A friend of mine just switched to LiveDrive, but I'm not totally convinced that's the right option, either.

18 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

I'm using SyncBackFree to push from each of my home Win10 machines to unRAID then letting CP back that up to their cloud. I'll miss being able to have my kids backup their laptops from school to my server, though. Maybe I'll enable SFTP locally and have SyncBack use that as the destination from their lappies...

I have (had) the same setup, except I switched from SyncBackFree to Syncthing awhile back.

After sleeping on it... this CrashPlan change doesn't affect my setup, other than costing twice as much.

I have about 6 months to decide, so I'll likely run something along side CrashPlan for awhile, though whatever I choose it'll take me weeks to upload using my 2Mbit upload speed.

Edited by scytherbladez

17 minutes ago, landS said:

Would one of the Guinea pigs be so kind as to reboot their Unraid servers and see if the CP's Pro update is retained / works smoothly?  Thanks! 

And did they migrate with gfjardim Crashplan docker or the jlesage Crashplan docker?  is there a difference as far as the migration to CP Small Business, the client updating to Pro and surviving a reboot?  I have used both versions, but, I am currently using the jlesage docker, so, I am curious to know if they behave the same or differently in the migration.

2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

And did they migrate with gfjardim Crashplan docker or the jlesage Crashplan docker?  is there a difference as far as the migration to CP Small Business, the client updating to Pro and surviving a reboot?  I have used both versions, but, I am currently using the jlesage docker, so, I am curious to know if they behave the same or differently in the migration.

Has noted by others, gfjardim docker will auto upgrade itself to the PRO version.  Mine won't for now.  But I will offer an upgrade path that will be pretty easy and seamless, without having to go through the adoption process.

One important thing to know is that if the gfjardim docker is not updated, you won't be able to use it in the case you need or want to re-install from scratch, i.e. without an existing appdata.  The reason is that the docker will initially start with the home version, meaning that you won't be able to login: after being migrated, you cannot use your credentials to login to a "home" account...

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, plupien79 said:

and 5... I get to be in control of the Encryption key. Crashplan claimed that you could generate your own using the custom key option, which I did.

Good point.  That is a pretty rare one.  A private key is mandatory on SpiderOak, which is a plus.

8 hours ago, tmchow said:

Looks like SpiderOak just unveiled a deal for crashplan refugees giving 30% off their monthly and yearly plans:

https://spideroak.com/lifeboat-one-crashplan-rescue/

However, unclear whether they support running in a docker and/or unraid.

Looks like it's a thing:

https://github.com/neochrome/docker-spideroak

Looks like that 30% off discount is permanent, too: https://twitter.com/SpiderOak/status/900460454585257984

Not sure if they'll offer better support for headless installations than CrashPlan did, though.  As soon as Code42 found out it was a headless or Docker install they discontinued support.

3 hours ago, FreeMan said:

Just curious which version you were using. Their "One" version looks to be the lowest cost ($1/month less than CrashPlan Small Business), but that does indeed look limited. For my 2.6TB, I don't think they've got a cost-effective version.

Has anyone been able to figure out how long the 75% discount is valid for? With a couple of people acting as Guinea Pigs for us - thanks @pjrellum and @J.R.! - this seems to be a viable option, and, as folks have mentioned, backing up one machine isn't inordinately more expensive than the old version.

A friend of mine just switched to LiveDrive, but I'm not totally convinced that's the right option, either.

The plan I had isn't offered any more.  It was quite awhile ago (7-8 years, maybe?).  I think it was even 50GB or 100GB or something that seems laughably small today.

The CrashPlan 75% discount is good for 12 months.  If you're syncing to Unraid and backing up from there, you probably have more options since it makes it look like a single machine is backing up.  You're better positioned to use services that charge per machine.  I think I want my machines to be able to back up independently of my Unraid installation.  Feels like a single point of failure to me.

1 hour ago, Djoss said:

Has noted by others, gfjardim docker will auto upgrade itself to the PRO version.  Mine won't for now.  But I will offer an upgrade path that will be pretty easy and seamless, without having to go through the adoption process.

One important thing to know is that if the gfjardim docker is not updated, you won't be able to use it in the case you need or want to re-install from scratch, i.e. without an existing appdata.  The reason is that the docker will initially start with the home version, meaning that you won't be able to login: after being migrated, you cannot use your credentials to login to a "home" account...

So @Djoss now that I've update the gfjardim docker to Pro, what happens if I need to rebuild my docker down the road, say a year from now? Will it just work to reinstall the docker from Apps? When you update yours, are you saying that yours will be Pro to begin with? (Timeline?)

Edited by ksignorini