[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

17 minutes ago, ksignorini said:

So @Djoss now that I've update the gfjardim docker to Pro, what happens if I need to rebuild my docker down the road, say a year from now? Will it just work to reinstall the docker from Apps? When you update yours, are you saying that yours will be Pro to begin with? (Timeline?)

I believe you can rebuild the docker as much as you want, as long as you don't delete your existing AppData for CrashPlan (Edit: Going by what @Djoss has said).

If do delete your AppData for CrashPlan today, upon reinstalling CrashPlan today, it will be the home version. Your Pro account details won't work to login.

The good news is the auto updated docker is working perfectly fine :)

Edited by scytherbladez
5 hours ago, landS said:

Would one of the Guinea pigs be so kind as to reboot their Unraid servers and see if the CP's Pro update is retained / works smoothly?  Thanks! 

Haven't rebooted yet as I wanted to make sure all was running and backing up and it's doing a large'ish backup now.

5 hours ago, Hoopster said:

And did they migrate with gfjardim Crashplan docker or the jlesage Crashplan docker?  is there a difference as far as the migration to CP Small Business, the client updating to Pro and surviving a reboot?  I have used both versions, but, I am currently using the jlesage docker, so, I am curious to know if they behave the same or differently in the migration.

I'm running the gfjardim version. Can confirm, so far it's been seamless. Might have to wait until next week to confirm reboot.

3 hours ago, Djoss said:

Has noted by others, gfjardim docker will auto upgrade itself to the PRO version.  Mine won't for now.  But I will offer an upgrade path that will be pretty easy and seamless, without having to go through the adoption process.

One important thing to know is that if the gfjardim docker is not updated, you won't be able to use it in the case you need or want to re-install from scratch, i.e. without an existing appdata.  The reason is that the docker will initially start with the home version, meaning that you won't be able to login: after being migrated, you cannot use your credentials to login to a "home" account...

2 hours ago, landS said:

I did not know we now have 2 CP dockers.   So for now, we let gfjardim Docker update.... And if a reinstall is necessary we jump over to djoss/jlesage Docker? 

Interesting. I'll have to try to keep on this if/when I ever need a fresh install.

Restarting the docker after migrating to Pro will remove the "Friends" tab for any one wondering.
599e5c3701b31_CrashPlanPro.thumb.jpg.b6e15323118bcdada2b51c21933defa8.jpg

This makes me think the application is just themed differently perhaps when you upgrade.
That could also mean that you might be able to do a fresh install without problems, and that the application is working for both types of customers. I might test that later today, for now I will be doing a reboot, backup is at 100% anyway:)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

This makes me think the application is just themed differently perhaps when you upgrade.
That could also mean that you might be able to do a fresh install without problems, and that the application is working for both types of customers. I might test that later today, for now I will be doing a reboot, backup is at 100% anyway:)

Back online, CP is connected and continuing to work. Later I will remove the appdata and the container, reinstall, try to log in and see what happens.
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, tmchow said:

Given the latest confirmation about the way it works for seamless upgrade, CrashPlan Business seems like the right way to go to support unlimited data. Spideroak and others have limits.

My crashplane home subscription goes until Nov 2018, but wonder if I should just upgrade now to lock in the 75% discount.

I think you should... for the next year you will be on 2,50 a month... 

And even if the price remains 120 after that, that really is not that much for data safety in my opinion..

• Upvote 3

As I had 14TB backed up to Crashplan and no way of migrating the files I was going to have to start again from scratch so it was a no-brainer for me and installed cloudberry with Backblaze B2 all backing up in under 5 minutes! 

I would however like to thank you for Crashplan which has been great over the years but it is cloudberry for me now!

Thanks again & good luck!

From what I've seen, backblaze personal is the best value in terms of cheap unlimited storage but it has limited versioning as noted earlier, and its also only available on Windows or Mac (probably to stop the installation on NAS').  I'll be transferring to Crashplan for small businesses as I don't mind the extra cost for the peace of mind and I've got less than 5TB so migrating isn't an issue.

6 minutes ago, Benoire said:

From what I've seen, backblaze personal is the best value in terms of cheap unlimited storage but it has limited versioning as noted earlier, and its also only available on Windows or Mac (probably to stop the installation on NAS').  I'll be transferring to Crashplan for small businesses as I don't mind the extra cost for the peace of mind and I've got less than 5TB so migrating isn't an issue.

I tagged the wrong person ;)

I just converted from home to small business and it was seamless. My subscription was good until August of 2018 anyway so no reason not to switch now. It'll be $2.50 a month starting at that point until August 2019 and then will go to the full $10 month price. I'll reevaluate then.

I'm running the gfjardim docker and it updated automatically to pro. Restarting the docker removed the Friends section as noted above. Restarting my Unraid  server did not cause any issues. I'm still running the pro app and it's backing up as usual.

• Upvote 1
Does anyone know if there are any performance improvements with the Crashplan Small Business app?  The home version seems to need more and more RAM as the backup size increases.

It seems to me that they are both actually the same. When logged in to the Pro dashboard I saw my Home history in terms of growth of the backup and some restores I did last month.

So I guess just a different label/theme and ofcourse pricing for exactly the same technology
2 hours ago, meoge said:

I'm running the gfjardim docker and it updated automatically to pro. Restarting the docker removed the Friends section as noted above. Restarting my Unraid  server did not cause any issues. I'm still running the pro app and it's backing up as usual.

How about stopping Docker, deleting the image file and recreating the containers (without removing your appdata folder)?

I know it's a must in case you replace your cache drive.

Thanks

2 hours ago, mattekure said:

Does anyone know if there are any performance improvements with the Crashplan Small Business app?  The home version seems to need more and more RAM as the backup size increases.

Have you made the change in the crashplan xml ?

The basic reason crashplan is slowing over time is that is continuously trying to dedupe everything.. With media files that is actually not very usefull but crashplan still takes time to try and do it... I have made my crashplanb 20 times faster by making the following change:

1) Stop the crashplan docker

2) Open the my.service.xml (its in the crashplan/conf folder)

3) Find the following line:

<dataDeDupAutoMaxFileSizeForWan>0</dataDeDupAutoMaxFileSizeForWan>

4) Now change it to:

<dataDeDupAutoMaxFileSizeForWan>1</dataDeDupAutoMaxFileSizeForWan>

( so change the ZERO into a ONE)

5) Restart crashplan.. Crashplan will no longer do any deduping and that really makes stuff faster.

I did not think of that myself, its from the following post:

http://networkrockstar.ca/2013/09/speeding-up-crashplan-backups/

• Upvote 2

I'm currently running CrashPlan, ResilioSync & Nextcloud on my unRAID server.

Have used to backup a few computers (parents &a family) to my server, and backup my server to CrashPlan central.

I'll probably switch all the computers to sync to unRAID (using Nextcloud or Resilio Sync, haven't decided yet) instead of backup, and start backing up their data folders to CP Central using the Small Bussiness account...

Am I missing anything I'll lose by doing that?

Thanks

Just now, gshlomi said:

I'm currently running CrashPlan, ResilioSync & Nextcloud on my unRAID server.

Have used to backup a few computers (parents &a family) to my server, and backup my server to CrashPlan central.

I'll probably switch all the computers to sync to unRAID (using Nextcloud or Resilio Sync, haven't decided yet) instead of backup, and start backing up their data folders to CP Central using the Small Bussiness account...

Am I missing anything I'll lose by doing that?

Thanks

That was what I was doing.. Only I was backing up the other systems by using crashplan.. So I need to find another solution for that..

It seems there are a few options for backing up to the cloud if you are willing to part with some cash. What we are missing is a good peer-to-peer system like we had with "backup to a friend". I used that on Macs and Windows and it was very lightweight and "just worked". In contrast I have experimented today with Syncthing and it is hideously resource intensive and doesn't seem to work well at all.

I just can't seem to find a decent lightweight solution comparable to the CrashPlan option. Will keep following this thread in case anyone finds one.