[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

Sorry I went through your link and all the explanation pertains to setting up user id and inbound backup on the client machine and not on the server. I have already signed in on the server and I have not set any inbound destination because I do not want any backup on the client! How is this set up on the server? This really has me confused!

Sorry I went through your link and all the explanation pertains to setting up user id and inbound backup on the client machine and not on the server. I have already signed in on the server and I have not set any inbound destination because I do not want any backup on the client! How is this set up on the server? This really has me confused!

There's no client/server separation with CrashPlan. Every instance works as a possible source/destination to other instance. So if you want to backup your Windows machine to your unRAID, first you must open the "C:/Program Files/CrashPlan-Server/CrashPlanDesktop.exe" and change the "Default backup archive location" to where you wish to store your backups in unRAID:

hMWJiYW.png

Then, open "C:/Program Files/CrashPlan/CrashPlanDesktop.exe" and select the unRAID server as the backup destination.

I understand that these core crashplan features are not linked to unraid or your docker in any way and in view of that I am very thankful for all your help.

I am now all hooked and ready to go. My last obstacle is the destination options that crashplan-server is posing to me look as shown in the attachment. It defaults to a folder called "data" whose location I am unsure of. And if I try and expand the "mnt" folder tree I do not see any levels below it. It just says "loading" for a second and then goes blank. I believe there is something I need to put into the Paths section of the plugin's preferences but not sure what. Would be obliged if you help me with this. And I will most definitely buy you a beer when I come to France  :)

So I've installed the docker app and the crash plan app on my mac. I've updated the ui-properties file on my mac. Are you still supposed to select which shares to backup via the Crash Plan app?

If I want to actually use the service for my mac I have to restore the ui-properties file on my mac which in turn would stop the backup on UnRaid? So basically there isn't a way to have both running ?

On another note, my array is 18tb or so. Anyone backed up that size and how long did it take?

So I've installed the docker app and the crash plan app on my mac. I've updated the ui-properties file on my mac. Are you still supposed to select which shares to backup via the Crash Plan app?

If I want to actually use the service for my mac I have to restore the ui-properties file on my mac which in turn would stop the backup on UnRaid? So basically there isn't a way to have both running ?

On another note, my array is 18tb or so. Anyone backed up that size and how long did it take?

I think that once you set it up in the UI, it goes on it's own and you can then change the ui-properties to the Mac.  If you ever want to see the progress of the unraid backup, then you change it again and connect to the unraid.

For me, I had 12TB to backup on my Unraid.  I'm at 53.2% now, started it early september.  Will take about 4 more months.  I have limited upload speed.  It never went really over 8Mbps (limited by my WAN link).

Thanks for the reply.

So are you supposed to select the shares you want backed up via the crash plan app? Right now nothing is backing up and no files are selected for backup. Not sure if I'm supposed to do something as you specify the data share when you set up the docker image.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright.  I'm a Crashplan expert (running it for years on Windows PC), been running unRaid for several months, have just (today) upgraded to 6beta12, am a docker novice, and am having some trouble.

Here's what I've done.  All completed (except the btrfs reformat) using the GUI.  (After saying "except the btrfs reformat", I just wonder to myself if that might be my issue, that I didn't format it right...  don't know).

1) Got the Cache drive converted to btrfs.

2) Started array.

3) Created Docker at /mnt/cache/docker.img

4) Got Docker started and running.  (Everything *looks* okay, but I'm not sure).

5) Added templates - https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/templates

6) Picked the "Crashplan" Template.

7) Configured pretty vanilla, matching the screenshot from above (with the config mapped here: /boot/config/custom/appdata/crashplan)

8) Looked like there was a chown issue on the start, but I can't find it now...

9) Tried to start Crashplan, and it stops in just a second or two.  Checked the logs, and here's what it says each time I try to start.

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/config.sh...
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/id’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/cache’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/log’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/conf/custom_sample.properties’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/conf/default.service.xml’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/conf/service.log.properties’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/conf/ui.log.properties’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/conf/ui.properties’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/conf/upgradeui.log.properties’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/conf/upgradeui.properties’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/conf’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/bin/run.conf’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config/bin’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/config’: Operation not permitted
*** /etc/my_init.d/config.sh failed with status 1

*** Killing all processes...

Any thoughts?  I don't know much about docker, so will need a little help in that regard if there's a config issue there.

Thanks for the help!

I had crashplan working for a while. A few days ago when I tried to resume backup, the crashplan server would just not connect. I tried restarting and also reinstalling Crashplan and I got it going for some time and now its back down again. Crashplan log as below. Please help!

Command:
root@localhost:# /usr/bin/docker logs --tail=350 CrashPlan
Did not find /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf file.
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 37)...
*** Killing all processes...
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/config.sh...

Current default time zone: 'Asia/Kolkata'
Local time is now: Thu Jan 1 16:20:47 IST 2015.
Universal Time is now: Thu Jan 1 10:50:47 UTC 2015.

cp: cannot stat ‘/usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf’: No such file or directory
*** Running /etc/rc.local...
*** Booting runit daemon...
*** Runit started as PID 40

Seems to have worked.  Why did that work for gfjardim in the above screenshot?

Update:  Everything is working fine - still not sure why the above screenshot didn't work for me in term of folder mappings.  Have the client connected, and am resuming previous backups.

After a good start, I've been having a rough go of things.

I "adopted" a backup from a different system on the start, and everything started coming up fine.

I then made a change to add in more directory mappings to the docker, and the docker restarted.

At that point, Crashplan and unRAID went nuts.  I couldn't connect to the client anymore, and after a little while, unRAID itself became completely unresponsive.

I tried lots of things... (and unfortunately, had several hard reboots of the unRAID box)

<not in any order>

a: Removed the container and started over. (no improvement)

b: Removed the image and started over. (no improvement)

c: Removed the image and deleted the configurations and started over. (was able to start the service the first time, but any subsequent starts would blow up).

... and many other things.

Here's what I wound up finding.

First, the my.service.xml file had been changed.  The serviceHost was pointed back to 127.0.0.1.  Additionally, the java heap size had been changed in both the my.service.xml file and the run.conf file to 4096.

Correcting these items allowed the docker crashplan service (is that the right word?) to restart successfully, and allowed me to reconnect the app.

I theorize that adopting the other backup updated the config files and through things batty.

As far as unRAID losing it's marbles, my unRAID machine only has 4GB of physical memory, so I wonder if changing the Java Heap Size to the full physical memory allocation caused it to choke...

Anybody else have insights?  Is there any other data that would be helpful?

Seems to have worked.  Why did that work for gfjardim in the above screenshot?

Update:  Everything is working fine - still not sure why the above screenshot didn't work for me in term of folder mappings.  Have the client connected, and am resuming previous backups.

After a good start, I've been having a rough go of things.

I "adopted" a backup from a different system on the start, and everything started coming up fine.

I then made a change to add in more directory mappings to the docker, and the docker restarted.

At that point, Crashplan and unRAID went nuts.  I couldn't connect to the client anymore, and after a little while, unRAID itself became completely unresponsive.

I tried lots of things... (and unfortunately, had several hard reboots of the unRAID box)

<not in any order>

a: Removed the container and started over. (no improvement)

b: Removed the image and started over. (no improvement)

c: Removed the image and deleted the configurations and started over. (was able to start the service the first time, but any subsequent starts would blow up).

... and many other things.

Here's what I wound up finding.

First, the my.service.xml file had been changed.  The serviceHost was pointed back to 127.0.0.1.  Additionally, the java heap size had been changed in both the my.service.xml file and the run.conf file to 4096.

Correcting these items allowed the docker crashplan service (is that the right word?) to restart successfully, and allowed me to reconnect the app.

I theorize that adopting the other backup updated the config files and through things batty.

As far as unRAID losing it's marbles, my unRAID machine only has 4GB of physical memory, so I wonder if changing the Java Heap Size to the full physical memory allocation caused it to choke...

Anybody else have insights?  Is there any other data that would be helpful?

Other than the configs getting overwritten (which probably belongs here), I'm concerned that my server errors are a bigger issue.  Have started a separate post just for the nasty crashes I'm getting.  It's here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37420.0

Thanks to all who made this happen!!!

A quick question.  Does it matter if the crashplan app data is on the cache disk or on one of the array drives.  Seemed to me that it would be better to have it backed up on an array disk but I have no experience with such and wondered what those in the know thought?