[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

A crashplan question.

My crashplan disk and parity disk remain spinning.  Is there anyway to change the crashplan settings to have these disks spin down? 

For the computers backing up to unraid, I changed crashplan settings to run between specified times.  I noted that this did not make a difference.

I noticed that there is an option to allow backups and restores to run between specified times for inbound backups.  Would this solve the issue.  Anyone try this yet or have a different solution?

Thanks

Anyone tried a restore yet? I have a 100GB directory to restore and it is running at 300Kbps and estimating 31days!.

I have a fully functioning 1000Mbs network card and other operations are really fast.

The system has 16GB ram...

Wondering if going back to the plugin would speed it up.

** SOLVED ** Crashplan docker was using the ip address of my vpn docker hence using the WAN profile.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried this. Backing up to a SNAP mounted USB disk, around 400GB of files.

UI keeps saying Disconnected from Backup Engine and the server end crashing and restarting. I checked the memory settings and they are defaulted to 128m and 1024m. I tried increasing but made no difference.

If I drop the backup set to around 200GB, 50k files, then it seems to work fine.

Which is the best log to look at?

I have an issue...

My backup says 100% complete for Crashplan Central and for a 2nd box I have running Crashplan docker (as the destination).  The issue is that when I go to the restore, it still miss a lots of files from either location (Central or Unraid2ndBox).  There is something that make crashplan don't see files to backup...

any idea?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Brand new unRAID user here.  I was hoping that the CrashPlan docker allowed you to backup the contents of the NAS to a CrashPlan central account but that seems not to be the case. Is that correct? I've always found it messy mapping a drive from Windows client with CrashPlan to a NAS but haven't found a better way.

Is there a native unRAID client that will allow me to back up to CP Central directly? Any ideas if the Linux client will work?

Hi everyone. Brand new unRAID user here.  I was hoping that the CrashPlan docker allowed you to backup the contents of the NAS to a CrashPlan central account but that seems not to be the case. Is that correct? I've always found it messy mapping a drive from Windows client with CrashPlan to a NAS but haven't found a better way.

Is there a native unRAID client that will allow me to back up to CP Central directly? Any ideas if the Linux client will work?

You can do this with the unRAID Crashplan container. You will still need s Windows PC with the crashplan client installed in order to connect to and manage Crashplan, but this isn't the same as running the service on your Windows computer and leveraging mapped drives.

See here for instructions on configuring the Windows client. They start about half way down this page:

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer

Nevermind, I got it to work,  it's backing up now.  This feels so good. 

Thanks!~!

Another question,  I have to do the SSH thing with putty each time I need to change some settings or verify the backup?

Yes for now that is required. This is because crashplan, for whatever reason, hasn't made a web management interface yet.

Nevermind, I got it to work,  it's backing up now.  This feels so good. 

Thanks!~!

Another question,  I have to do the SSH thing with putty each time I need to change some settings or verify the backup?

Yes for now that is required. This is because crashplan, for whatever reason, hasn't made a web management interface yet.

Got it, thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little confused by something super basic. I have the docker installed and /data set to /mnt/user/xxx/CrashPlan, the client app installed on my mac and the ui.properties on my mac pointing to my unraid IP with the comments on the IP and the port removed. What is the proper setting on my mac app? Am I looking at the folder option in the mac app under Backup tab and pointing to the xxx/CrashPlan folder under the select a directory option or something else? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone kindly help out with this  :-[

So I'm having the same problem. I looked to make sure that the ip/port settings are correct. I even redeployed the docker several times, and on redeploy I'm able to connect to CrashPlan for a while. Then I'm not able to reconnect, the launcher on Windows just stays open, but does not say unable to connect to server. And it will actually stay open for a while and close when I shutdown the docker. So I know there is some sort of connection being formed. The only thing that I've come across is: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/Unable_To_Connect_To_The_Backup_Engine#Linux_Solution

And I noticed in the docker file that one language is not en_US like the rest. I don't know if this is related or not as I haven't figured out yet how to manually edit the docker file.

Someone kindly help out with this  :-[

So I'm having the same problem. I looked to make sure that the ip/port settings are correct. I even redeployed the docker several times, and on redeploy I'm able to connect to CrashPlan for a while. Then I'm not able to reconnect, the launcher on Windows just stays open, but does not say unable to connect to server. And it will actually stay open for a while and close when I shutdown the docker. So I know there is some sort of connection being formed. The only thing that I've come across is: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/Unable_To_Connect_To_The_Backup_Engine#Linux_Solution

And I noticed in the docker file that one language is not en_US like the rest. I don't know if this is related or not as I haven't figured out yet how to manually edit the docker file.

Ok, found the potential flaw, now I'll try to solve it.

The only other thing that im finding is a little funny is i put data path as /user/mnt/  but in the folder to back up slection it looks like it mounted at /user/ and it wont expand /mnt/ directory but i can expand shares  in /data/ directory.

what exactly is /data/  some kind of symlink? because i know that /user0/ is cache disk and /user/ is parity.

Just wondering?

edit:

Thanks for the lightening fast reply generalz

I upgraded yesterday from v5.06 to v6b14b.  Upgrade went very smoothly with no issues.  I am now trying to setup Crashplan docker.  I have ~2.8TB data already backed up to Crashplan Central.  When I setup the Crashplan container with /data path set to /mnt/user/ and adopted the previous backup set, the Crashplan GUI shows all backed up files as "missing."  I have pictures, videos, movies etc. to backup and each of these shares spans 2 or more physical disks.  In my prior configuration in the Crashplan GUI I had to expand  DISK1, DISK2, DISK3, etc. and select the corresponding directories that contained the data to be backed up for each backup set.  With /mnt/user/ specified as data path, the disks and directories do not expand in the same fashion (in fact, I can not drill down to directories that are part of the share in this way) and everything is reported as missing.  The /data node expands to the share names, but if I include these, Crashplan wants to remove everything I have already backed up and start over as it is a path change and thinks everything is "new.".

Generalz responded that he had set /data to /mnt/user/:/mnt/user/:rw to have Crashplan continue backing up existing data sets.  When I do this, Crashplan will not install successfully and the container is removed saying this is an invalid path.  I tried adding /data paths for each of the physical disks.  The result was the same as setting /data to /mnt/user/

Any ideas for proper /data configuration that will allow Crashplan to continue on with prior configuration?

The only other thing that im finding is a little funny is i put data path as /user/mnt/  but in the folder to back up slection it looks like it mounted at /user/ and it wont expand /mnt/ directory but i can expand shares  in /data/ directory.

what exactly is /data/  some kind of symlink? because i know that /user0/ is cache disk and /user/ is parity.

Just wondering?

edit:

I upgraded yesterday from v5.06 to v6b14b.  Upgrade went very smoothly with no issues.  I am now trying to setup Crashplan docker.  I have ~2.8TB data already backed up to Crashplan Central.  When I setup the Crashplan container with /data path set to /mnt/user/ and adopted the previous backup set, the Crashplan GUI shows all backed up files as "missing."  I have pictures, videos, movies etc. to backup and each of these shares spans 2 or more physical disks.  In my prior configuration in the Crashplan GUI I had to expand  DISK1, DISK2, DISK3, etc. and select the corresponding directories that contained the data to be backed up for each backup set.  With /mnt/user/ specified as data path, the disks and directories do not expand in the same fashion (in fact, I can not drill down to directories that are part of the share in this way) and everything is reported as missing.  The /data node expands to the share names, but if I include these, Crashplan wants to remove everything I have already backed up and start over as it is a path change and thinks everything is "new.".

Generalz responded that he had set /data to /mnt/user/:/mnt/user/:rw to have Crashplan continue backing up existing data sets.  When I do this, Crashplan will not install successfully and the container is removed saying this is an invalid path.  I tried adding /data paths for each of the physical disks.  The result was the same as setting /data to /mnt/user/

Any ideas for proper /data configuration that will allow Crashplan to continue on with prior configuration?

I don't use this docker, but it sounds like you and the people you are quoting are confused about volume mappings.

Maybe post what you have for volume mappings and we can help figure it out.

It also sounds like you must have had Crashplan set up before to use disk shares instead of user shares. You can't get to the disk shares from /mnt/user. Maybe try /mnt instead.

Just wondering?

edit:

I don't use this docker, but it sounds like you and the people you are quoting are confused about volume mappings.

Maybe post what you have for volume mappings and we can help figure it out.

It also sounds like you must have had Crashplan set up before to use disk shares instead of user shares. You can't get to the disk shares from /mnt/user. Maybe try /mnt instead.

Yes, I am sure I am confused, happens quite often!

Here is the Crashplan Docker configuration with /data set to /mnt. It shows the physical disks in the array and looks like it should work:

dme3cg.jpg

Below is how Crashplan sees things.  Note that I had to drill down under physical disk names to select backup folders.  Perhaps this was simply an error on my part in setting the original backup set folders and I could have/should have done it under user shares (don't recall if that was something I could have done a couple of years ago when I defined these).

Under Mnt it only shows disk1 and disk 2 and they are not expandable.  I see the disk and share names under the data node, but, selecting this causes Crashplan to discard the prior backup files and start over.  Under User I see the UnRAID share names and this is probably the preferred way of selecting files to backup as it is not physical disk dependent, but, this also results in Crashplan wanting to discard prior backup.

bbgx2.jpg

As seen in the Crashplan GUI, the Pictures share is currently storing files on disk1 and disk2 (although in UnRaid config it can span disk1..disk4; Videos is on Disk2 and Disk3 (also set to disk2...disk4) and Movies and TV are both on Disk 4.  Disk 5 was recently added and currently has nothing on it.

I set the container volume to /mnt and selected backup locations based on share names rather than disks (didn't show anyway).  This caused Crashplan to warn me that I was removing files from the backup archive and that they would be permanently deleted.  I went ahead and confirmed thinking I was about to delete my entire 2.8tb worth of backup and start over.  However, Crashplan recognized the files as already backed up without a change in folder structure and simply rescanned existing files (still took many hours) and backed up a few new files that had been added.  After about 18 hours it was done.

Unless I stop Crashplan, Parity and Disk1 are constantly spinning.  In checking out my docker config and Crashplan config, I realized the appdata share had not been set to cache only and that, in fact, Crashplan program files were installed on Disk1/appdata with some files on Cache/appdata.  I removed the Crashplan container and files, ran a rmdir -r appdata on Disk1 to get rid of it completely on disk1, verified the appdata share was set to cache only and reinstalled the Crashplan container.  With Crashplan running, Parity and Disk1 continue to spin.  They will not spin down and stay spun down unless I stop Crashplan.

CrashPlan is setup per default config with /config set to /mnt/user/appdata/crahplan and /data set to /mnt/user.  What have I done wrong?

EDIT:  Since Crashplan was my only installed docker so far, I deleted it and the docker.img file. At least with Crashplan and docker completely gone, I can manually spin down disks and they stay spun down (Parity and Disk1 would spin back up with Crashplan installed).  I have no idea why Parity is spinning up in the first place since I am not writing to the array.  All disks eventually spun down per disk settings.  I"ll check all settings before reinstalling Crashplan docker.  I am first trying to eliminate everything else as the cause.