[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

3 hours ago, JeffreyVrancken said:

Jlesage has an CP pro Docker now! I’m using his current home Docker and it works like a charm, so I’ll be upgrading right now. 

So a few questions:

1. If I'm using the other client docker, is there any means to simply switch dockers? That is, what happens if I turn this current docker off and start up the other one?
  2. Are my choices in folders to backup (backup set?) stored on the CrashPlan server and synced to the connected client or will the Jlesage version not know what I'm backing up?
  3. If I use the Jlesage version and re-pick the same folders, will CrashPlan compare these to what's stored on the server and update the backup accordingly/seemlessly?

Sorry to ask these questions, but I'm not familiar enough with how CrashPlan does its thing.

I answered my own questions:

• I stopped the gfjardim docker.
  • Installed and started the jlesage docker.
  • Logged into CrashPlan PRO in the docker.
  • Chose to "adopt" an existing computer and picked the computer in the list that was being backed up from the previous docker.
  • Et voila.

Note: If you have mapped your unRAID storage to anything besides /storage in the your previous CrashPlan docker (I had mine mapped to /mnt) then make sure you do that when you install the jlesage docker. If you don't, I don't think that CrashPlan will let you adopt the old backup (or if it does, I'm not sure how it will handle it.)

Thanks!

Edited by ksignorini
48 minutes ago, ksignorini said:

Note: If you have mapped your unRAID storage to anything besides /storage in the your previous CrashPlan docker (I had mine mapped to /mnt) then make sure you do that when you install the jlesage docker. If you don't, I don't think that CrashPlan will let you adopt the old backup (or if it does, I'm not sure how it will handle it.)

Yes it does :).  You "old" path will be marked as missing.  You just need to re-select you files again under the correct path and then start the backup.  The de-duplication process will prevent you data to be re-uploaded again.

2 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Yes it does :).  You "old" path will be marked as missing.  You just need to re-select you files again under the correct path and then start the backup.  The de-duplication process will prevent you data to be re-uploaded again.

Gotcha.

I just added a new mapping to the docker where /mnt inside the docker matched /mnt outside it. I don't know why I did that originally, but I did. Oh well.

1 hour ago, JustinAiken said:

If I stop and start it, it'll be the old green version before it upgrades itself to the blue version, but that doesn't take long, and is near-transparent. 

This worries me... At what point does CP stop reoccurring system updates?  Is that what is even occurring? 

• Upvote 1

All we need is for the gfjardim docker to have the crashplan download link in github updated to point to the new crashplan for small business download.  I've done a copy of the git repo and made the changes, pushed to a private hub for testing but didn't get as far as running... Docker hub built it fine so as long as the pro app installs in the same manner creating a new image should be as simple as the above.

Edit: Shutdown my main crashplan docker to boot mine up with host access, went in to noVNC access which showed a new crashplan pro home login screen; didn't have to upgrade from the home version and the docker image has downloaded the latest 4.9.0 pro app from the web... So, all gfjardim has to do is change the download link and rebuild the docker image.

Edited by Benoire
tested the image.
36 minutes ago, Benoire said:

So, all gfjardim has to do is change the download link and rebuild the docker image.

I think it's not as simple as that.  Some people don't need to upgrade to the PRO version and may want to keep the home version until the end of their subscription or until October 2018.

Rebuilding the gfjardim's docker with the PRO version embedded will force everyone to migrate to the PRO version...

If anyone here switches clients to a different docker supplier (like jlesage), and if you've increased your java memory to handle more files by double-clicking on the top right icon and entering new java memory settings in your previous client (like gfjardim) don't forget to do it with the new client, too!

(If you don't know what I'm referring to, here's the article where I got the original idea to increase my java memory since my backup kept restarting: https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Adjust_CrashPlan_settings_for_memory_usage_with_large_backups)

Edited by ksignorini
  • Upvote 1

In addition to switching to crashplan small business I have now also enabled BTSYNC using the Linuxserer.io docker. This fills the gap the local backups had, it does versioning, even with unlimited versions if you want. So basically that is totally the same functionality as with crashplan, added benefit is that the data is just there on the other side and readable instead of encrypted in a backup format..

So basically with very little effort I am now exactly where I was before with Crashplan, only i pay less then I did before over a period over 1 1/2 year and I have a better local backup solution..

Things are great :-)

14 hours ago, Helmonder said:

In addition to switching to crashplan small business I have now also enabled BTSYNC using the Linuxserer.io docker. This fills the gap the local backups had, it does versioning, even with unlimited versions if you want. So basically that is totally the same functionality as with crashplan, added benefit is that the data is just there on the other side and readable instead of encrypted in a backup format..

So basically with very little effort I am now exactly where I was before with Crashplan, only i pay less then I did before over a period over 1 1/2 year and I have a better local backup solution..

Things are great :-)

Unless I am missing something if a file is deleted from the source it is deleted from the backup... this makes it a non starter for me.

In case it is helpful to anyone else, here is what I ended up doing to replace my Crashplan solution.

First off, I have several folks backing up to my unRAID and another server, at a different location, rather than to the cloud. So I needed something that would provide that peer to peer capability, but I also wanted to be able to continue backing my own data up to a drive locally and to the cloud at a reasonable price. The other thing that made my solution choice pretty natural is that both of these target locations that people are backing up to, also run instances of ownCloud.

What I have settled on for now, and it seems to be working well so far, is the Duplicati docker from Linux.io installed on the unRAID server, and the Duplicati app installed on the other server as well as the end workstations backing up to these servers.

OwnCloud can be used as a target for Duplicati leveraging Webdav so the existing ownCloud servers will provide the target for Duplicati for remote users.

I settled on Backblaze' B2 cloud for a target for Duplicati, which also seems to be working well. Backblaze has been around a while and the cost is about half of Google Cloud Storage, AWS and some of the others.

Finally, Duplicati on the unRAID server is also backing up to a large USB drive for everything I send to the cloud, plus some large data sets that I don't.

I have around 550GB of data that I backup to the could and at those numbers, this solution is actually cheaper than what Crashplan Home was costing me. If my data sets grow much that will change of course, but this suits my needs well for now.

It has only been running for a few days now, but seems to be doing well. I have seen some people complain of speed with Duplicati, compressing and decrypting does take time, but I am still doing about 150GB a day (24 hours) to the B2 cloud. Haven't started the local drive backup yet, but I am not terribly concerned with speed in general as I don't have a high rate of change.

Hopefully this helps someone out there. I sure appreciate all the help I have received on these forums!

-Landon

2 hours ago, Helmonder said:

Ehm nope... deleted files are stored in the archive and can be kept unlimited..

When I tried it that didn't happen, archive was empty... will try that again as it does seem the most effective at syncing so far.

EDIT: Tried again, added a file to the shared folder, it appeared on the destination... deleted it from the source and it deleted from the destination. I then clicked view archive (archiving was ticked) on the source machine and it opened up an empty archive.

EDIT2: Found out why... so back to square one, this solution is ruled out:

"

Sync's Archive affects devices other than the one where files are deleted/changed.

For example, if you have a folder in Sync across 3 devices; A, B, and C, and you delete a file from the folder on device A, the corresponding file on B and C will be moved to .Sync/Archive on B and C respectively. The .Sync/Archive on A will remain empty.

Similarly, if you delete a file from the folder on device B, on devices A and C it will be moved to .Sync/Archive on A and C."

Edited by jimsefton
22 hours ago, jimsefton said:

When I tried it that didn't happen, archive was empty... will try that again as it does seem the most effective at syncing so far.

EDIT: Tried again, added a file to the shared folder, it appeared on the destination... deleted it from the source and it deleted from the destination. I then clicked view archive (archiving was ticked) on the source machine and it opened up an empty archive.

"

Sync's Archive affects devices other than the one where files are deleted/changed.

For example, if you have a folder in Sync across 3 devices; A, B, and C, and you delete a file from the folder on device A, the corresponding file on B and C will be moved to .Sync/Archive on B and C respectively. The .Sync/Archive on A will remain empty.

Similarly, if you delete a file from the folder on device B, on devices A and C it will be moved to .Sync/Archive on A and C."

Mmm.. Sounds like something they can build in though..

For me it still is a viable option since it will still protect me from malware (since that constitutes a change, not a deletion to a file).. A deleted file can still be found on crashplan for business.. But since it will take a sh*tload of time to rebuild from a crashplan online environment I need to have a local set available to..

Must say it is EXTREMELY slow though.. For something running local..

On 29/08/2017 at 7:47 PM, jimsefton said:

"

So what you are saying is that whenever I delete a file on my main system it will be moved to sync/archive on my secundary system ?  That actyally sounds great... I only have to monitor that archive dir for accidental deletions...