[CONTAINER] CrashPlan & CrashPlan-Desktop

@opentoe.  Nope, using the Mate desktop on the same server.

@t33j4y. removing the container and image of the Mate GUI Desktop docker and I still have the same problem:  unable to connect to the backup engine.  I know the backup engine is still working, as I can log on to crashplan website and see the new files go up as I add them to the server, but I need to add 2 more folders for backup monitoring.

Thanks for any other advice. 

(on rc5... I suppose I will retry after 6.0 in a day or two).

@opentoe.  Nope, using the Mate desktop on the same server.

@t33j4y. removing the container and image of the Mate GUI Desktop docker and I still have the same problem:  unable to connect to the backup engine.  I know the backup engine is still working, as I can log on to crashplan website and see the new files go up as I add them to the server, but I need to add 2 more folders for backup monitoring.

Thanks for any other advice. 

(on rc5... I suppose I will retry after 6.0 in a day or two).

When you try to connect to the service using remote desktop and port 3389, what happens exactly? Do you get a prompt or anything? Are you using a Windows computer to connect? When I enter the IP information into the Windows remote desktop I just enter "192.168.1.120:3389" and that instantly connects me to the ubuntu webgui docker mate. What happens when you try to connect, anything? Also, make sure nothing else is using port 3389. I believe that is the default port the MATE uses, but can be changed.

i just tried this for the first time and was a little surprised not to see anything in the mate docker variable boxes. I installed crash plan first and then mate and when i try to use MS RDP tool for mac, it just says it cannot connect. i used 192.168.0.3:3389 as my details.

Is it as simple as install crash plan docker and then install mate docker and then try and connect to serverip:3389 with RDP?

The only options for the MATE is the port number. You can try to use another port and see what happens? Or you can run a port scan on your server to make sure you see port 3389 is listening and open. I'm not a MAC person but should work the same way. Gotta be something simple, usually is.

It does not matter if I RDP in  via Windows, Linux (Remmina), or Guacamole Docker (very nice docker BTW).  I am using the default Port.

The Ubuntu desktop comes up fine.  Crashplan GUI opens and after some time gives the unable to connect to backup engine message.

It does not matter if I RDP in  via Windows, Linux (Remmina), or Guacamole Docker (very nice docker BTW).  I am using the default Port.

The Ubuntu desktop comes up fine.  Crashplan GUI opens and after some time gives the unable to connect to backup engine message.

What does your docker page look like?

crashplandocker.jpg.0c7e5b3f2bda2b26c21f861cd6e9bcb7.jpg

6.0 Final, Crashplan GUI re-installed.

Issue persists -> I can RDP into the desktop, the crashplan GUI starts, but it does not find the engine.

When I start the docker MATE, this is what it reads in my syslog. What does yours say?

Jun 16 20:37:13 SUN php: /usr/bin/docker start CrashPlan-Desktop

Jun 16 20:37:13 SUN kernel: device veth0dc855d entered promiscuous mode

Jun 16 20:37:13 SUN kernel: docker0: port 1(veth0dc855d) entered forwarding state

Jun 16 20:37:13 SUN kernel: docker0: port 1(veth0dc855d) entered forwarding state

Jun 16 20:37:14 SUN avahi-daemon[8498]: Withdrawing workstation service for veth7fd4821.

Jun 16 20:37:14 SUN kernel: docker0: port 1(veth0dc855d) entered disabled state

Jun 16 20:37:14 SUN kernel: eth0: renamed from veth7fd4821

Jun 16 20:37:14 SUN kernel: docker0: port 1(veth0dc855d) entered forwarding state

Jun 16 20:37:14 SUN kernel: docker0: port 1(veth0dc855d) entered forwarding state

Jun 16 20:37:14 SUN php: CrashPlan-Desktop

Jun 16 20:37:22 SUN emhttp: /usr/bin/tail -n 42 -f /var/log/syslog 2>&1

Jun 16 20:37:29 SUN kernel: docker0: port 1(veth0dc855d) entered forwarding state

Jun 17 00:56:21 Tower2 php: /usr/bin/docker start CrashPlan-Desktop

Jun 17 00:56:21 Tower2 kernel: device vethd6bcd4e entered promiscuous mode

Jun 17 00:56:21 Tower2 avahi-daemon[2340]: Withdrawing workstation service for veth383987c.

Jun 17 00:56:21 Tower2 kernel: eth0: renamed from veth383987c

Jun 17 00:56:21 Tower2 kernel: docker0: port 1(vethd6bcd4e) entered forwarding state

Jun 17 00:56:21 Tower2 kernel: docker0: port 1(vethd6bcd4e) entered forwarding state

Jun 17 00:56:21 Tower2 php: CrashPlan-Desktop

Jun 17 00:56:36 Tower2 kernel: docker0: port 1(vethd6bcd4e) entered forwarding state

Are there plans to update to 4.2? I recently moved from a windows server that I had backed up with CrashPlan 4.2 to unRAID and now I can't restore any of those backups due to the version difference. I just see the error "Unable to restore due to a backup archive cryptography key error." which the problem/solution seems to be directly related to the version. I know I can restore to another machine and copy the files over - but that's a bit painful.

http://support.code42.com/Administrator/4/Troubleshooting/Unable_To_Restore_Due_To_Backup_Archive_Cryptography_Key_Error

Any resolution to this. I just upgraded from unRAID v5 to a clean unRAID v6. I had CrashPlan running headless on it previously (using the SSH tunnel from a Windows machine to manage). I installed the Crashplan service and GUI Dockers. I went in and adopted my machine and let it start comparing and resynching and ran into the same Cryptography errors making it start to re-upload everything again (not even sure if it's successfully even doing that). CrashPlan support told me to check for a version mismatch between the service and GUI, which is the most common cause for that. Sure enough, the GUI is on 3.7 and the services is on 4.2. Competely screws up the functionality, and I didn't change or update anything other than install the two Docker modules. Being a bit new to the whole Docker approach, how in the world does the updating of the CrashPlan engine and GUI apps work in these things? Clearly, they're not updating at the same time, and that's causing a real headache. :(

I'm not sure what to do at this point, as CrashPlan's suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall and make sure the Engine and GUI are on the 4.2 version. I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to accomplish that now...

Thanks

Well, supposed to or not, my CrashPlan engine Docker managed to get itself up to 4.2 somehow...

DateTime    = Thu Jun 18 17:16:34 CDT 2015

OS          = Linux (4.0.4-unRAID, amd64)

JVM          = Java SE Runtime Environment (1.7.0_72-b14, 64-bit)

Locale      = English, America/Chicago

User        = root, /root

Application  = CrashPlan

CPVERSION    = 4.2.0 - 1425276000420 (2015-03-02T06:00:00:420+0000) - Build: 61

Well, supposed to or not, my CrashPlan engine Docker managed to get itself up to 4.2 somehow...

DateTime    = Thu Jun 18 17:16:34 CDT 2015

OS          = Linux (4.0.4-unRAID, amd64)

JVM          = Java SE Runtime Environment (1.7.0_72-b14, 64-bit)

Locale      = English, America/Chicago

User        = root, /root

Application  = CrashPlan

CPVERSION    = 4.2.0 - 1425276000420 (2015-03-02T06:00:00:420+0000) - Build: 61

I believe my engine is still on 3.7 as well. How did you get that to display the version? My client is also at 3.7, which is probably static and the docker creater would need to update the docker to get the latest version, right?

I was wrong when I previously said that the CrashPlan Docker engine couldn’t be auto updated. Sorry about that!  :'(

Did a check in the app.log in the log directory and can confirm 4.2.0 running as mentioned by guygg in the post above. If you stop and start the Docker the version will remain the same but if you force update the Docker it will load 3.7.0 but it will immediately update itself to 4.2.0.

CP_4.2_log.png.ad6b4667be4cf8522ffe5a2285a823b2.png

I believe my engine was upgraded also, but the client I think is static at the old version. Only one that can update that is someone that knows how or the docker creator. :)

I think you are right about that, I didn’t find a way to get the Docker client to update either…

Well, I guess you can always use the Windows client if you are in an urgent need of doing a restore.

Issue persists -> I can RDP into the desktop, the crashplan GUI starts, but it does not find the engine.

Same problem as others, it looks like when an update is found on the Docker page, if you click on upgrade it moves the Crashplan version to 4.2. 

If you uninstall the Crashplan Docker and Re-install to 3.7 this wipes out your saved cloud files and starts the backup process from the beginning.

If you restart your server and manually start the Docker it appears to force the update if an update is available. 

App.Log in the crashplan docker folder: CPVERSION    = 4.2.0 - 1425276000420 (2015-03-02T06:00:00:420+0000) - Build: 61

How do we obtain a 4.2 GUI Mate Docker?

***edit, decreased annoying font size

Same problem as others, it looks like when an update is found on the Docker page, if you click on upgrade it moves the Crashplan version to 4.2. 

If you uninstall the Crashplan Docker and Re-install to 3.7 this wipes out your saved cloud files and starts the backup process from the beginning.

If you restart your server and manually start the Docker it appears to force the update if an update is available. 

App.Log in the crashplan docker folder: CPVERSION    = 4.2.0 - 1425276000420 (2015-03-02T06:00:00:420+0000) - Build: 61

How do we obtain a 4.2 GUI Mate Docker?

If you uninstall and reinstall you must make sure not losing your GUID for the current installation. It is possible to move installations as well as do reinstallations and at the same time keep your current backup at CrashPlan without losing any data. Make sure to check out the support pages at CrashPlan so that you understand the procedures.

I am sure that the maintainer of this Docker will do an update when time permits.

Yeah, I stopped using the RDP client, as the version conflict was causing very undesirable issues. Since the engine had auto-updated to 4.2, I continued using the also-4.2 application on my Windows machine to connect to the Docker-based engine just as I had done back when running Crashplan headless in the v5-and-earlier days. Crashplan apparently does NOT play well with version mismatches between engine and application. It would be mighty nice if the devs at Code 42 would have some version intelligence between the two components so that in instances where they are NOT in sync, it wouldn't just go ahead and happily do things that break everything...

So, what's the upshot of the Docker modules at this point? Are both the engine and application now up to 4.2? Will both of them forcibly prevent in-app updates? Or are we gonna get hit by the same problem again? Not trying to sound like a complainer. I know this kinda thing is tough on people trying to get these nifty new Docker modules operational. A bit of a teething period to go through. :)

If you uninstall and reinstall you must make sure not losing your GUID for the current installation. It is possible to move installations as well as do reinstallations and at the same time keep your current backup at CrashPlan without losing any data. Make sure to check out the support pages at CrashPlan so that you understand the procedures.

Yup, I messed this one up.  My guess is this has more to do with messing up GUID than moving from 4.xx back to 3.xx.  Not really wanting to prove out chicken or egg ATM.

Updates are available, thanks for waiting.

Do you accept donations?   The Crashplan dockers are the most useful expanded functionality to Unraid 6 for me. 

I continued using the also-4.2 application on my Windows machine to connect to the Docker-based engine just as I had done back when running Crashplan headless in the v5-and-earlier days. 

My Windows machine is almost completely defunct.  I still have one for firing up a Steam game stream that doesn’t run under Wine/Mono.  Heck, even my .NET programing/compiling is now done in Ubuntu.  IF this happens again I will know to swap over (for as long as the OS is needed for other duties)

Will both of them forcibly prevent in-app updates?

This would be a cool feature ;)

I am sure that the maintainer of this Docker will do an update when time permits.

Like right now. Updates are available, thanks for waiting.

Thanks for the update. Is this something you need to do on all the dockers you create? As said before by someone else, this is probably my most used docker and hate to be without now. Is the process on updating the docker MATE hard? Not something anyone can do, right?