Docker requests

I didn't realise gfjardim had a transmission image.  It's not on the drop down

It's here: https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-transmission

If there's interest, I'll convert it to phusion and add to the plugin.

Thanks nacat78 for your xml.

Thanks. Installed and working.  Seeing it's nearly there I think it won't hurt to add it to your list of templates

I had a look at a couple of the flexget containers that are out there.  Neither fill me with confidence.

I just find out about a nice FTP server : CrushFTP.  It look nice and have a cool webGUI to administer the FTP Service.  It can be installed on Linux.  It requires Java.

I would make a docker for it, but I don't know anything about creating a docker :/  Where to Start ?? The CrushFTP requires :

Linux

Java

Ports 8080

Ports 443 (if we want to administer in HTTPS)

Port Wathever for the server (can be set)

Any help would be appreciate !

PS.  Crush FTP is 40$ for Personal use, i'll buy it!  Would be nice to have a docker that you can just add your licence to it.

How about a pxe server

Did you try this: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31297.0 ?

I will create a badass PXE Server that uses Tiny Core Linux and a HTTP Server (faster than tftpboot) for Menus and isos / images. I will work on it tomorrow and post it for all of you to test.

Perhaps gfjardim wouldn't mind creating a slick WebGUI for adding / removing images and configuring the PXE Menu. I can get it close but he will need to take it the last mile.

NOTE: I am not going to support this long term so one of you will have to take it and own it.

Looking forward for your new PXE Server, I'm using the tftp one based on your instructions posted several months ago and I'm very happy with it.

Thank you!

Looking forward for your new PXE Server, I'm using the tftp one based on your instructions posted several months ago and I'm very happy with it.

Yeah... I am not going to be able to do it. I use to contribute here (KVM, Xen, XenServer, running unRAID in KVM on openSUSE, PXE Server, etc.) but my contributions / input are no longer wanted here. I think I have a lot of to offer but unRAID sees it another way.

I finally got around to attacking Docker (Grumpy Style) and I did it A LOT of things differently than how we are doing it here now. I'm sure unRAID thinks I have this wrong too.

1. Using the wrong image.

2. Using the wrong init script.

3. Looking at this from a container level only and not the bigger picture.

4. Not creating a platform / image / method for users to easily add / implement / manage change their Apps in Docker.

When addressing the 4 areas above

1. I created a Master Development Image that users would use to create Apps.

2. Developers use the Developer Image (a Linux Novice following any App install guide on the web could do this)...  They would put the config files / scripts / packages (if any) into separate folders for the Master Container Image (Not the Developer Image this is a separate Container Image and it's a lot smaller than the one we use now).

3. Selected a Rolling Release Distro that also has a port system (TONS of apps that even Ubuntu doesn't have without jumping through hoops) along with whatever is in your typical package manager.

3. Running a simple command will then use (data, config, etc.) and suck in everything that is needed when making a real small container for the apps plus all the monitoring stuff you will see at the bottom.

4. Integrates with github and all updates, versioning, script modifications, etc. all are updated with a simple command.

5. Want to create a Wordpress Container that works in unRAID with our "standard" unRAID Docker format... Use the dockerfile, one ini file (which we all can see / create / modify / update) and run the docker build command and bam!

6. We are not monitoring Apps... We are only monitoring Containers.

Monitor Application in all your containers in one WebGUI tab:

cjtrVDh.png

Then in another WebGUI tab you can see all your containers, monitor / see the status and even be alerted (with sound) that an App within each Container is not working.

Below instead of Server it would be Sickbeard/Edge Couchpotato/Stable, etc. and for the Processes it would actually say what each one is... Sickbeard, SSH, Deluge, etc. Running 15 Apps in 15 Containers works sure but you can run many Apps in one / several containers if you want. With my system, it's a matter of dropping in an INI file (for each app) and it would build containers that you customize with as many apps as you want. Plus unRAID hasn't figured out or told you about control groups and how to customize memory, CPU, disk I/O throughput, Prioritization, etc. for your container(s). Yes, my ini file (which you can edit yourself) handles all of that. I bet it's the first time that 95% of you are hearing about this. I suspect you will want your Plex to be in it's own control group and your Apps to use different control groups.

HPdLNwR.png

Anyway... I was told to leave since unRAID and I disagree when it comes to providing an end to end solution for NAS / HTPC / Media / Applications Server. They basically do "apt-get install docker" and leave the rest to us. I want an end to end solution (including Best of Breed Practices, maintaining Images, packages, INI files, containers, VMs, etc.). I will release a docker solution like enterprises do it (sexed up of course and all done through a WebGui) and many other things with "GrumpyRAID" coming out soon.

Yeah... I am not going to be able to do it. I use to contribute here (KVM, Xen, XenServer, running unRAID in KVM on openSUSE, PXE Server, etc.) but my contributions / input are no longer wanted here. I think I have a lot of to offer but unRAID sees it another way.

I finally got around to attacking Docker (Grumpy Style) and I did it A LOT of things differently than how we are doing it here now. I'm sure unRAID thinks I have this wrong too.

1. Using the wrong image.

2. Using the wrong init script.

3. Looking at this from a container level only and not the bigger picture.

4. Not creating a platform / image / method for users to easily add / implement / manage change their Apps in Docker.

When addressing the 4 areas above

1. I created a Master Development Image that users would use to create Apps.

2. Developers use the Developer Image (a Linux Novice following any App install guide on the web could do this)...  They would put the config files / scripts / packages (if any) into separate folders for the Master Container Image (Not the Developer Image this is a separate Container Image and it's a lot smaller than the one we use now).

3. Selected a Rolling Release Distro that also has a port system (TONS of apps that even Ubuntu doesn't have without jumping through hoops) along with whatever is in your typical package manager.

3. Running a simple command will then use (data, config, etc.) and suck in everything that is needed when making a real small container for the apps plus all the monitoring stuff you will see at the bottom.

4. Integrates with github and all updates, versioning, script modifications, etc. all are updated with a simple command.

5. Want to create a Wordpress Container that works in unRAID with our "standard" unRAID Docker format... Use the dockerfile, one ini file (which we all can see / create / modify / update) and run the docker build command and bam!

6. We are not monitoring Apps... We are only monitoring Containers.

Monitor Application in all your containers in one WebGUI tab:

cjtrVDh.png

Then in another WebGUI tab you can see all your containers, monitor / see the status and even be alerted (with sound) that an App within each Container is not working.

Below instead of Server it would be Sickbeard/Edge Couchpotato/Stable, etc. and for the Processes it would actually say what each one is... Sickbeard, SSH, Deluge, etc. Running 15 Apps in 15 Containers works sure but you can run many Apps in one / several containers if you want. With my system, it's a matter of dropping in an INI file (for each app) and it would build containers that you customize with as many apps as you want. Plus unRAID hasn't figured out or told you about control groups and how to customize memory, CPU, disk I/O throughput, Prioritization, etc. for your container(s). Yes, my ini file (which you can edit yourself) handles all of that. I bet it's the first time that 95% of you are hearing about this. I suspect you will want your Plex to be in it's own control group and your Apps to use different control groups.

HPdLNwR.png

Anyway... I was told to leave since unRAID and I disagree when it comes to providing an end to end solution for NAS / HTPC / Media / Applications Server. They basically do "apt-get install docker" and leave the rest to us. I want an end to end solution (including Best of Breed Practices, maintaining Images, packages, INI files, containers, VMs, etc.). I will release a docker solution like enterprises do it (sexed up of course and all done through a WebGui) and many other things with "GrumpyRAID" coming out soon.

I personally think your contribution to the unraid community to date has been the best for me.  I do like the way you lay out instructions for us LINUX  NOOBS on how accomplish the basic tasks.  If you decide to fork your own version let us know.

This is a sad news, but think about it, Grumpy, you are hurting the users here, not LT. I DO agree with some positions you rage for, but take a look at the other solutions we have at our disposal; everyone of them is crippled someway and community work is essential to make them usable. Synology, QNAP FreeNAS, all of them are imperfect.

We are helping each other here, not LT. Take me for an example: I'm a lawyer, I'm not an engineer or a coder. I try to do my best to help others like me. I invest some of my free time to learn how to code; I haven't used PHP for 10 years or so, since the students website at the university, so I had to learn everything again to make the Docker's Config Plugin. I don't hold any grudge on LT for the lack of features. I just want to make easier for me and others to do what we want, store and watch media.

So please take some perspective and don't let your disagreements with LT hold you back from helping us. You're a very skilled person, and can be much more helpful here than me.

I am actually enjoying rutorrent

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Care to post an xml for your rutorrent set up for use with gfjardim's amazing docker control plugin? I would greatly appreciate that.

Also: any chance of a logitech media server (squeezebox) docker container by anyone?

Regards,

The.Capt

Well, my rutorrent is outside of docker in a arch vm.  My comment was meant more as a statement to the transmission and deluge torrent discussion to say I am liking rutorrent.  I have it configured to start at boot, so it makes life easy from that perspective, it has an rss manager and webgui, all things I needed.  The others struggled in the rss and webgui department

Grumpy, you are hurting the users here, not LT.

I am not trying to hurt LT nor it's users, quite the contrary. I am HUGE fan of unRAID and want it to be the best NAS product out there. My passion for it shows with all the work I have done, my documentation and my posts.

I just want to make easier for me and others to do what we want, store and watch media.

I GREATLY appreciate your work and all that do and I hope you continue. What you have done part time in only a few weeks is nothing short of amazing along with very professional and polished looking.

So please take some perspective and don't let your disagreements with LT hold you back from helping us.

unRAID believes I should go create / play in my own sandbox, I happen to agree with them.

You're a very skilled person, and can be much more helpful here than me.

I totally disagree.

Docker is HUGE and most unRAID users are going to use it over anything I have done with Xen / KVM. Virtualization certainly has it's place but for most unRAID users, Docker is way to go. Slackware and root ram file system is what unRAID is going to stick with for the foreseeable future and thankfully with unRAID choosing to install / use Docker... It is a great solution and solves some of the issues in the current unRAID environment.

Linux Dorks like me have come and gone and unRAID didn't miss a beat. However, it's the WebGUI guys (you included) that are most valuable / needed. It's one thing that I can make unRAID do X, Y and Z but without people like you... The average unRAID user doesn't have the experience / knowledge / comfort level  to drop down to a Linux command line to be able to use those things I share / create effectively / easily.

My parting advice to you (and needo)... It's VERY IMPORTANT that both of you go learn about Linux control groups and work with unRAID to implement that into what you both are doing. They provide a lot of very useful metrics, but they also help to ensure that each container gets its fair share of memory, CPU, disk I/O; and, more importantly, that a single container cannot bring the system down by exhausting one of those resources.

Also, since Docker 1.0 just came out and a lot more people are now using it there will be A LOT of releases over several months. They have already released Docker 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 is about to be released. There are many bug fixes and new features that you and needo will want to take advantage of as this moves forward.

In your case, they are constantly working on the Docker APIs and there will be many updates / changes / additions in the next few months. Assuming unRAID rolls out Betas and updates Docker to the latest stable release... With those, it will allow you to share / show even more and give us the ability to make Docker easier to support / manage in your WebGUI. You will see they added some things for stop / stop, a pause and sockets parameter.

Thanks again for all that you and needo have done. I personally have used both of what you two have developed and learned a great deal about Docker in the process.

You're a very skilled person, and can be much more helpful here than me.

I totally disagree.

Docker is HUGE and most unRAID users are going to use it over anything I have done with Xen / KVM. Virtualization certainly has it's place but for most unRAID users, Docker is way to go. Slackware and root ram file system is what unRAID is going to stick with for the foreseeable future and thankfully with unRAID choosing to install / use Docker... It is a great solution and solves some of the issues in the current unRAID environment.

Linux Dorks like me have come and gone and unRAID didn't miss a beat. However, it's the WebGUI guys (you included) that are most valuable / needed. It's one thing that I can make unRAID do X, Y and Z but without people like you... The average unRAID user doesn't have the experience / knowledge / comfort level  to drop down to a Linux command line to be able to use those things I share / create effectively / easily.

My parting advice to you (and needo)... It's VERY IMPORTANT that both of you go learn about Linux control groups and work with unRAID to implement that into what you both are doing. They provide a lot of very useful metrics, but they also help to ensure that each container gets its fair share of memory, CPU, disk I/O; and, more importantly, that a single container cannot bring the system down by exhausting one of those resources.

Also, since Docker 1.0 just came out and a lot more people are now using it there will be A LOT of releases over several months. They have already released Docker 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 is about to be released. There are many bug fixes and new features that you and needo will want to take advantage of as this moves forward.

In your case, they are constantly working on the Docker APIs and there will be many updates / changes / additions in the next few months. Assuming unRAID rolls out Betas and updates Docker to the latest stable release... With those, it will allow you to share / show even more and give us the ability to make Docker easier to support / manage in your WebGUI. You will see they added some things for stop / stop, a pause and sockets parameter.

Thanks again for all that you and needo have done. I personally have used both of what you two have developed and learned a great deal about Docker in the process.

And I disagree with your disagreeing ;)

You have been very helpful, and have moved unRAID forward a lot with your ideas, suggestions, help and 'insistance'.

Your tone is not one of 'friendliness' and certainly puts people on guard or on edge, which is not conducive to your point being taken and implemented, but the content is so good that it still has made an impact.

Your knowledge is of the 'inner workings' and not so much of the 'usability' bent, I agree, but it's your input that allows people like needo and gfjardim to do what they do, because the inner workings get put into place in the first place, allowing them to 'pretty it up' for the rest of us.

I wish I had a magic button that I could press to 'un-grumpify' your posts so the information was presented with friendliness and others would not take offense where (I think) you don't intend to offend.

Either way, we're all adults here, and I hope unRAID continues to improve for everyone's sake.  Your input can certainly help with that, but I can also understand not wanting to contribute after being told to leave.

Now, something we can all feel good about...

cute-puppies-pictures_1400050056.jpg

No more off topic posts please

Okay  :D

Has anyone tried making a docker for makeMKV?  I know there is a linux version, but it looks like it needs compiled, and they usually have a new version about once/month, so it probably will need 'constant' maintenance.  I'm not sure if building one will be easy or good, but I'd really like to put the work of creating my mkv files onto my unRAID box, and not have to continue doing it on my laptop, over wifi, which takes forever.

maybe this helps one get started...

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2047

Has anyone tried making a docker for makeMKV?  I know there is a linux version, but it looks like it needs compiled, and they usually have a new version about once/month, so it probably will need 'constant' maintenance.  I'm not sure if building one will be easy or good, but I'd really like to put the work of creating my mkv files onto my unRAID box, and not have to continue doing it on my laptop, over wifi, which takes forever.

I have latest makemkvcon installed on unraid, still playing with it........ But it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I have latest makemkvcon installed on unraid, still playing with it........ But it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This will have to wait docker v.1.1 upgrade, where the new --device flag will be available. jonp promissed that to the next beta, if I'm not mistaken.

Has anyone looked into Newznab+ ?

Thanks

I am not sure the licensing would allow it.

This one instead - better fork of it:  http://forums.nzedb.com/index.php

Myk

Newznab+ cant be forked so whatever that is it is not a fork of Newznab+ (at least a legal one)

It could be a fork of Newznab (non plus) but thats like putting a bigger engine in a cheap car and claiming its as good as a Ferrari.

I have been thinking about it an NN+ could be put in a docker if the user was able to define the SVN URL and pass as a variable.