Docker requests

Before I request a docker.  Does anyone else have the situation where they transcode SabNZB .MKV files to .MP4 (x264, 2 channel aac) files?  I stream to Rokus so I want all my files to be nice and easy for Roku's to consume via Plex without transcoding (DirectPlay).  Do I need a new docker container to get this done?  Or is there a nice post processing script I can run on SabNZB to accomplish this?

Before I request a docker.  Does anyone else have the situation where they transcode SabNZB .MKV files to .MP4 (x264, 2 channel aac) files?  I stream to Rokus so I want all my files to be nice and easy for Roku's to consume via Plex without transcoding (DirectPlay).  Do I need a new docker container to get this done?  Or is there a nice post processing script I can run on SabNZB to accomplish this?

Take a look a this: https://github.com/clinton-hall/nzbToMedia/wiki/Transcoder

I've never played with it, but needo's SABnzbd container already have ffmpeg, so it should be easy to implement.

As a general principal, I would suggest to never permanently transcode files to a lower quality based on hardware/software you currently own.  They both improve constantly, and someday, you won't need to have a lower quality file to do what you want.  However, once transcoded, you can't get the higher quality file back without re-ripping or re-downloading the file.

I would suggest instead you try to find a way to transcode on the fly to a device today, and keep the higher quality file for the future.

Just my opinion.

Has anyone looked into Newznab+ ?

Thanks

I am not sure the licensing would allow it.

This one instead - better fork of it:  http://forums.nzedb.com/index.php

Myk

Newznab+ cant be forked so whatever that is it is not a fork of Newznab+ (at least a legal one)

It could be a fork of Newznab (non plus) but thats like putting a bigger engine in a cheap car and claiming its as good as a Ferrari.

I have been thinking about it an NN+ could be put in a docker if the user was able to define the SVN URL and pass as a variable.

I have a docker container running for nZEDb - it is configured to access the nZEDb files from a mapped volume, so that nZEDb is installed outside of the docker. I have it that way because I already had it installed and couldn't be bothered with getting the container to do the installing, and my Linux scripting isn't the greatest.

It works well though, I have it connecting to a database hosted in needos mariadb container.

It would need more work to make it suitable for distribution through the docker hub but, if there is interest I could post the dockerfile I used to build it.

As a general principal, I would suggest to never permanently transcode files to a lower quality based on hardware/software you currently own.  They both improve constantly, and someday, you won't need to have a lower quality file to do what you want.  However, once transcoded, you can't get the higher quality file back without re-ripping or re-downloading the file.

I would suggest instead you try to find a way to transcode on the fly to a device today, and keep the higher quality file for the future.

Just my opinion.

Agree totally.

I watch original files on my popcorn hour in the theater.  but I need to copy scaled down versions to my plex library folders.  the issue is not just the capability of the client.  its also the size of the file.  Even if the client can direct play 1080p5.1ch mkv's.. my wireless network stinks at streaming files of that size.  Not to mention 90% of the time my network is streaming Dora the Explorer... which is just fine at 720p2chAAC.

Also Fyi, roku plex has no problem with any scene mkv downloads I ever get and it almost always plays full sized makemkv BD rips.  All without transcoding.  Only some very very high bit rate BD need transcoding and never a scene release mkv.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

In case some charitable person (needo? anyone else?) want to work on a UniFi Controller Docker, there is already 3-4 Dockers that does it, but they do not use phusion Image.

UniFi has 3 Branches, I guess that could be controlled by the EDGE variable with value like "stable", "rapid" and "beta".

Can someone Dockerize that ? :o

Reference : https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/jasonrm/unifi/