unRAID Project Roadmap Announcements

It is absolutely great to see a "this is what we want to do"ish. But it is not a roadmap. :)

Set up some release dates or periods, and included features/changes.

It can be as simple as:

14Q3: ABC

14Q4: D

15Q1: EFGHI

15Q2: JKL

Far Future: MNOPQRS

Let it show what you expect to deliver, not hopes and dreams, even if it is tempting to score credits on presenting a plan with what people want.

But the "taste of the pudding is in the eating".

The sun is shining, the motorbike is ready, my organ donor card is updated... Lets ride !! :D

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is absolutely great to see a "this is what we want to do"ish. But it is not a roadmap. :)

Set up some release dates or periods, and included features/changes.

It can be as simple as:

14Q3: ABC

14Q4: D

15Q1: EFGHI

15Q2: JKL

Far Future: MNOPQRS

Let it show what you expect to deliver, not hopes and dreams, even if it is tempting to score credits on presenting a plan with what people want.

But the "taste of the pudding is in the eating".

The sun is shining, the motorbike is ready, my organ donor card is updated... Lets ride !! :D

I disagree.  What they provided is a million times better than anything they've provided in the past, and is pretty clear on the items they intend to have ready and when.

PLEASE don't complain about it not being complete enough.  This is not corporate america, and you (we) are absolutely NOT their boss.  They owe us nothing, at all, about their future plans.  They provided a lot of very useful information, and we should appreciate it, not complain that it's not detailed enough.

Boy... haters are just gonna hate.

Guys... keep in mind that until a few months ago LT was a one man shop (well... harmser was there but he's not technical from what I remember). Given the recent increase in manpower and the internal shift this has to have created, I think the clearly defined short term goals are a logical first step. Eric & Jon steps into an existing development cycle and were likely thrown right in to start helping with this in order to get 6.0 out the door and to help do so in a realistic time frame.

Setting a Q3 timetable for a 6.0 release is a great start, and then once 6.0 is out they can sit around and pontificate on what the future may hold for 6.1, 6.2 and onwards.

There have been pages and pages of people complaining that 5.0 doesn't include some key features like an updated GUI, or UPS and email notification support and that 6.0 is beta so LT should focus on 5.0 stream instead. LT has basically promised to get 6.0 out the door with the missing features which level sets all users (minus the few who can't run 6.0).

This is a great first step from LT on both open communication and realistic timeframes. Let's appreciate the effort so far, and know there will be more to come in the future.

Well today, at least where I am right now, is Q3.  So where is the official release ?!?!?!?!

Definition of 'Quarter - Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4'

A three-month period on a financial calendar that acts as a basis for the reporting of earnings and the paying of dividends. A quarter refers to one-fourth of a year and is typically expressed as "Q." The four quarters that make up the year are: January, February and March (Q1); April, May and June (Q2); July, August and September (Q3); and October, November and December (Q4). A quarter is often shown with its relevant year, as in Q1 2012 or Q1/12, which represents the first quarter of the year 2012.

Your post is useless and does nothing to further the discussion, only to add more un-needed attitude.

Speaking to everyone: If you can't see that the communication of LT has improved 10 fold since jonp has arrived, you might as well just abandon the project right now.

Well today, at least where I am right now, is Q3.  So where is the official release ?!?!?!?!

Definition of 'Quarter - Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4'

A three-month period on a financial calendar that acts as a basis for the reporting of earnings and the paying of dividends. A quarter refers to one-fourth of a year and is typically expressed as "Q." The four quarters that make up the year are: January, February and March (Q1); April, May and June (Q2); July, August and September (Q3); and October, November and December (Q4). A quarter is often shown with its relevant year, as in Q1 2012 or Q1/12, which represents the first quarter of the year 2012.

Your post is useless and does nothing to further the discussion, only to add more un-needed attitude.

Speaking to everyone: If you can't see that the communication of LT has improved 10 fold since jonp has arrived, you might as well just abandon the project right now.

If I add a smiley face will that help you see that my post was in no way serious and just meant for a laugh ? Be careful when you try to dismount at high horse of yours.

Oh, and while i appreciate the attempt to edjamacate me, it's July 1st where I am now, so it is in fact Q3.  Timezones, who would have thunk it.

I understand timezones and checked to see that you clearly were referencing July 1 because of the location you listed in your profile. The entire reason I posted that is because promising something in Q3 means that until Q4 you shouldn't be asking for a release. Since you didn't have any indication in your post of joking, it's easy to throw you in with the rest of the ridiculous whining in this thread, especially with all of the people wanting MORE MORE MORE when I've been here for over 5 years and this is the first time we've seen a substantial roadmap post and the first time I can remember where updates have been posted this frequently. You just saying where's the release already fit right in with the whining and frankly, joking or not, we don't need to add anymore fuel to the fire for the whiners.  :P

I understand timezones and checked to see that you clearly were referencing July 1 because of the location you listed in your profile. The entire reason I posted that is because promising something in Q3 means that until Q4 you shouldn't be asking for a release. Since you didn't have any indication in your post of joking, it's easy to throw you in with the rest of the ridiculous whining in this thread, especially with all of the people wanting MORE MORE MORE when I've been here for over 5 years and this is the first time we've seen a substantial roadmap post and the first time I can remember where updates have been posted this frequently. You just saying where's the release already fit right in with the whining and frankly, joking or not, we don't need to add anymore fuel to the fire for the whiners.  :P

Let me know next time your going to read one of my posts and I'll pile on plenty of smilies for you so you don't look so ridiculous.

I doubt even the worst of the worst complainers would seriously think to whine the second Q3 arrives. Lighten up.

I doubt even the worst of the worst complainers would seriously think to whine the second Q3 arrives.

I believe I would qualify as one of the worst complainers on here. I also knew you were being sarcastic too. Not sure how that could be missed.

I am very pleased to hear they are leaving Virtualization where it is (aside from tweaking the kernel / applying patches / / updating apps). The Virtualization guys can still go nuts with it (more so when they get the next beta out with the PCI Passthrough tweaks).

Glad they are going to focus on their Core Competencies (NAS, WebGUI, Server Admin / Management and it appears Docker) and set a goal for a release date / period (sometime in Q3). They can circle back around on Virtualization and the KVM / Xen WebGUI once they get the other stuff done.

I appreciate Jonp and Company's (do not know the other new employees names) work / effort / communication thus far and I am sure it will continue well into the future. Keep up the great work!

We were promised the latest AFP to come to v6, its been stalled over an over. Would be appreciated to know when this will be done already, especially since the goal stated is for v6 to hit final by Q3. This stall in AFP is a large pain point for those of us who use and rely on AFP with unRAID. It was stated it wasn't addressed in v5 because the time was going to be taken to get it going in v6. Six beta's not a single AFP update... when there is an up roar, promises are made and request we be patient, so then its swept under the rug, again we have to complain many months later.

Bump, LT???

We were promised the latest AFP to come to v6, its been stalled over an over. Would be appreciated to know when this will be done already, especially since the goal stated is for v6 to hit final by Q3. This stall in AFP is a large pain point for those of us who use and rely on AFP with unRAID. It was stated it wasn't addressed in v5 because the time was going to be taken to get it going in v6. Six beta's not a single AFP update... when there is an up roar, promises are made and request we be patient, so then its swept under the rug, again we have to complain many months later.

Bump, LT???

This came up in discussion recently as well.  Can you describe how and why you're using AFP today?  I'm assuming for use with a time machine, but want to make sure...

I will find the last thread where we chimed in on AFP (believe is in a NFS thread Tom started).

Just want to add Samba updated 4+ times since, NFS v3 fixes and NFS v4 introduced, all the while we were asked to waited for 1 AFP update which was supposed to be next in-line, if memory serves by b2 of v6.

Here you go, lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31909.0

Read through that entire thread with respect to AFP.  Seems like a low number of people are requesting the upgrade (in fact, you were the only one asking for an upgrade, it appears everyone else was just asking for us to not drop support for it entirely).  I think we'll need to see more folks rally behind the cause to bump this up in the priority list of "to dos".  I realize Tom may have made a commitment here, but we're looking out for the best interests of our users as a whole.  Many users are reporting that Time Machine works fine under the current unRAID implementation.

Again, not looking to drop AFP here, just trying to understand why we need a clearly dying protocol to be upgraded right now.

EDIT:

As for Samba/NFS, I don't think you can make a case to say we should update AFP (a dying and terrible protocol) because we've updated other protocols so much.  Samba/NFS = more popular, more widely used, and is definitely going to be supported longer.  Apples (no pun intended) and oranges.

Read through that entire thread with respect to AFP.  Seems like a low number of people are requesting the upgrade (in fact, you were the only one asking for an upgrade, it appears everyone else was just asking for us to not drop support for it entirely).  I think we'll need to see more folks rally behind the cause to bump this up in the priority list of "to dos".  I realize Tom may have made a commitment here, but we're looking out for the best interests of our users as a whole.  Many users are reporting that Time Machine works fine under the current unRAID implementation.

Again, not looking to drop AFP here, just trying to understand why we need a clearly dying protocol to be upgraded right now.

EDIT:

As for Samba/NFS, I don't think you can make a case to say we should update AFP (a dying and terrible protocol) because we've updated other protocols so much.  Samba/NFS = more popular, more widely used, and is definitely going to be supported longer.  Apples (no pun intended) and oranges.

What's involved in updating AFP? 

Isn't it just installing the latest package or are the other specific kernel/webGui adjustments?

NFS v4 introduced

Really?  I must try it ... I've not seen it mentioned in any changes history/readme.txt files.

Apologizes if that's not the case, I will take your word that it's not available yet.

Traveling to take a look around and only peaked at one of the v6 betas early on.

"You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"

My suggestion is to ask nicely and present your case in clear concise facts and I bet it will go along smoother.

If it's only a compile of the latest version, then help support that fact.

Maybe it's possible for the developers to compile the AFP package as a separate /boot/extra package for testing.

"You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"

My suggestion is to ask nicely and present your case in clear concise facts and I bet it will go along smoother.

If it's only a compile of the latest version, then help support that fact.

Maybe it's possible for the developers to compile the AFP package as a separate /boot/extra package for testing.

U are 100% right no argument. But I have a bad taste in my mouth and until I see things produced as promised it hard to shake off. I know you know the deal.

EDIT:

There is no making cases with LT if ur not a top 10 fan boy.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion I am the only one that wants this updated but that's fine I can read between the lines very well. Delay and in a few years AFP will finally be dropped, problem solved. Versus spending all of 25 mins to complie it. Your more than welcome to write it off as I am the only one who wants it.  Enjoy playing with your own ball. Popular statement handed out to members here, think it applys to LT here as well.

Madburg,

Please respond to my previous message about arguing for what benefits such an update would provide and why it is necessary.  I can't help you if you don't make a case.

UPDATE:  FYI, I am moving some of madburgs posts are being moved to the complaint/bilge forum where they belong.  The original requests that weren't hostile in nature will remain.

Please respond to my previous message about arguing for what benefits such an update would provide and why it is necessary.  I can't help you if you don't make a case.

The benefits would be that Lime Technology would look like a company that keeps its word. Getting the customer goodwill should be worth more to you than the small amount of time it would take to update some packages

I can't help you if you don't make a case.

Sure you can, just update the packages. Bam, help received.

The benefits would be that Lime Technology would look like a company that keeps its word. Getting the customer goodwill should be worth more to you than the small amount of time it would take to update some packages

I can't help you if you don't make a case.

Sure you can, just update the packages. Bam, help received.

Guys, I really can't help if this is all I'm getting in response.  Not a single person has provided a reason for us to do this yet other than, "you said you would."  These responses are not helping the cause.

In addition, "just update the packages" is easier said than done.  This isn't about the time it takes to update the packages.  It's about stopping development on other core features for a time while we implement and test.  And what happens if we push this out and someone has a problem with it?  We have to support it then.

Bottom line:  until a case is made that speaks to both the technical merits warranting an upgrade along with sufficient support from more than 1-2 users that need the upgrade, this will not take over priority from our other features outlined in this very post.  I don't see how anyone can disagree with this logic...