unRAID Project Roadmap Announcements

lots of words

grumpy, you’re a smart person and that is obvious, but you are most likely NOT the audience Limetech is exactly going for.  No doubt they like having tech savvy users but we can at times makes things hard on others as well as ourselves.

It seems obvious that Limetech is trying to go for an appliance approach, they likely DO NOT want there users doing apt-get update, etc, etc, etc.  That introduces another layer into the whole "my **** has stopped working" emails that Limetech would get.  At that point there is an even larger set of questions that has to be asked to try and figure out what the user installed/updated/changed/removed.

I could honestly care less what OS unRAID is using under-the-hood, so long as what I need to use works.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gfjardim, can you provide a slackbuild for 3.x and/or a 64bit package for others to test with?

Does it have other dependencies that need to be satisfied first?

Can it just be dropped into the /boot/extra folder?

The problem is not compile it, is link it with the config we make on the webGUI since the configuration syntax has changed to match to that used by SAMBA. That is the problem Tom has to figure out is to change that, and to address the database location.

The package can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18726846/netatalk-3.1.2-x86_64-1_unRAID.txz

It has some hacks to adapt the original generated config file to the new syntax. Take a look at the /etc/rc.d/rc.atalk script. I'll  make a tutorial for compile this another time.

It seems obvious that Limetech is trying to go for an appliance approach, they likely DO NOT want there users doing apt-get update, etc, etc, etc.  That introduces another layer into the whole "my **** has stopped working" emails that Limetech would get.  At that point there is an even larger set of questions that has to be asked to try and figure out what the user installed/updated/changed/removed.

Care to name a single Commercial Linux Appliance that works like unRAID does? Tivo doesn't and it is far more complicated than unRAID is. Synology and Qnap are EMBEDDED Linux Devices and they also provide updates via a package manager. I could go on and on.

You like running 4+ old software (unRAID 5) that is missing countless security patches (not including bugs)? I know that  YOU do not believe that we should hang Apps out on the web on our unRAID machines. Problem is, you are not in a majority nor do we want you / Tom to decide what we do or not. However, we would like to have the latest SSL certificates, ssh, php, perl, python, etc. updated (where security patches / fixes are done) so we can make our Apps / Servers as safe as possible. Again, we aren't asking for the world... Just what every other NAS appliance can do (FreeNAS, Open Media Vault, NAS4Free, Synology, Qnap, etc)

As far as you say a package manager screwing everything up:

Base Distro = CentOS / Debian (slimmed down even further for just the stuff that Tom wants in his Appliance)

UnRAID Repo (Stable) = Tom controls all the packages in this repo. The OS does not use CentOS / Debian's repos, only a unRAID one. However, as packages are updated in the stable branches of Debian / CentOS, Tom could move those to the unRAID Testing Repo (for a 6 months or whatever) and finally to the Stable Repo.

Noob / Normal user = Always uses the default Stable Repo.

Now you can tell me this does not work but Synology and Qnap who sell 10,000+ appliances a year do it EXACTLY that way. So does Tivo and countless other appliances.

Power User = Can select unRAID Testing Repo (Good for Tom because Power Users are Testing new updates) and they add other Repos if they so desire.

If a Noob / Power user does "yum update" it checks whatever Tom may or may not have updated / added to his repo.

Finally, where do you see TOM answering ONE support question in the last 3+ years? He has less than 400 posts in the Support forum in 10 years. Let's not kid ourselves... WE are doing the Tech Support, not Tom.

I could honestly care less what OS unRAID is using under-the-hood, so long as what I need to use works.

Let's also put that into perspective. If I recall, you are running several Windows XP VMs and unRAID 4.7 still. Do you think most of the unRAID users are like you? At one time, yes but we are talking all the way back in 2005. Even then, where did we all learn about unRAID and where did they promote it? Was it on Storage.org or was it AVSForums?

I bet 80% of us (probably more) came over here from AVSForums, Plex, XBMC, SABnzbd, CouchPotato, Sickbeard, etc. What I am saying... I doubt a majority of unRAID users woke up and decided they wanted a NAS, selected unRAID and then sought out XBMC, Plex, Sickbeard, etc. For us, the Apps are what is most important and the last thing we decided upon was a NAS device.

There are competing products and fault tolerance solutions that give us more flexibility, features, functions, etc. and those are FREE. I assume Lime Technologies cares about making money (Tom is all over Key problems on the forum so I would think yes).

Fault tolerance is not the most important thing to us. Other solutions do it too. unRAID doesn't restore a drive better than FreeNAS, FlexRAID, SnapRAID, RAID. Not to mention those have many features that unRAID doesn't which also makes them better anyway.

Since feature / functions / Apps are what is most important to us. and with unRAID we are not getting basic NAS functions or new features and functions. What I am trying to explain is why (to LT and everyone else). Its due to Slackware and how LT has done things in the past (which I honestly believe has changed with the hiring of Jonp and Company). EVERYTHING LT has done since 4.7 is trying to apply band-aids and work around Slackware major shortcomings. This takes LT away from their Core Competencies which is a Fault Tolerance technology (unRAID - Linux OS agnostic), server management (WebGUI) and NAS features / functions (Linux OS / WebGUI / unRAID Technology).

If you are their target customer (NAS Only)... That is fine. My advice, at least get basic NAS features done, reconsider AFP (eliminating potential Mac Customers looking for a NAS isn't wise), add dual parity, file systems, metadata, back up, security (https, ttl, authentication, etc) and all the things a $300 Qnap box can do.

I will have a NAS / HTPC / Media / Application Server for people who want a NAS / HTPC / Media / Application Server built by people who know / use NAS / HTPC / Media / Application Servers in the not to distant future. Me thinks I will get a lot of unRAID people that jump ship and you unRAID NAS only people will probably be a lot happier too.

gfjardim, can you provide a slackbuild for 3.x and/or a 64bit package for others to test with?

Does it have other dependencies that need to be satisfied first?

Can it just be dropped into the /boot/extra folder?

The problem is not compile it, is link it with the config we make on the webGUI since the configuration syntax has changed to match to that used by SAMBA. That is the problem Tom has to figure out is to change that, and to address the database location.

The package can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18726846/netatalk-3.1.2-x86_64-1_unRAID.txz

It has some hacks to adapt the original generated config file to the new syntax. Take a look at the /etc/rc.d/rc.atalk script. I'll  make a tutorial for compile this another time.

Sorry, don't quite understand what u mean by syntax and samba pertaining to AFP config, but guessing some adjustments maybe required. Why I don't like using anyone's plugins. Tom knows the tweaks that need to be made when compiling for unRAID (under slack). Thus why all this stuff (apc, email) is being request come for

LimeTech, or to grumpy's point empower us to do so ourself. Anything I find on the web reference things (commands, paths, etc) that don't work under unRAID/slack. As much as I have learned its still a pea in the pod. While others just type apt-get...

Anyway its good u chimed in that u easily compiled yourself And prefer it over 2.x

Folks, we have a complaint department thread for these types of discussions.  Please use it for this type of talk.  We are off-topic now.

Right so besides coming here from the complaint dept to have my post bilged, I don't believe we received a clear answer on an AFP update. Besides Tom posting commitment and release notes stating its coming, this announcement had no reference to it. So I brought it up as a reminder as we are eagerly waiting to testing the updated AFP with apc and email. I for one feel that next beta will have more testers of v6. So what say we?

I am very excited about the announcements in this thread! 

I upgraded to 6b6 over the weekend and I'm really happy with Docker.  For instance, I didn't have plexWatch on unRAID 5 because it had too many requirements, but with Docker it is easy to install and I didn't have to worry about conflicts with anything else.  Many thanks to needo and gfjardims for sharing their Dockerfiles, and to the rest of the community for talking about how to optimize them further.

I like that full KVM/Xen virtualization is possible too.  The hardest part with this is knowing how to get started, so I wanted to thank ironicbadger for his Arch appliances.  Hopefully what we have installed will continue to work as he moves on.

I am very happy to see that email notifications will be built into unRAID.  I was using Dynamix on unRAID 5 and I took the temperature readings and smart reports for granted.  Kind of scary to completely lose that in 6b6.

I read this article about BTRFS:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesystems/

and it sounds great!  But it isn't really clear how the checksums work, does it require you to have BTRFS RAID in order to auto-correct a problem or will we be able to take advantage of that too?

Similarly, what happens if unRAID detects a parity problem with BTRFS drives?  Instead of assuming the problem is on the parity drive, will it be able to check the checksums on the data drives to determine which drive has the problem?

Just wanted to chime in to say that I never got TimeMachine backup working properly to unRAID. It "works" for a while, anything from couple of weeks to 1-2 months then I'm starting to get messages saying the TimeMachine backup is corrupt (or something similar) and it needing to start the backup from scratch again.

I read this article about BTRFS:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesystems/

and it sounds great!  But it isn't really clear how the checksums work, does it require you to have BTRFS RAID in order to auto-correct a problem or will we be able to take advantage of that too?

No you do not have to use BTRFS RAID. BTRFS RAID 5/6 is not stable and missing the repair tools. BTRFS on a single drive or RAID 0 / 1 / 10 works like a champ and gets better with each Linux Kernel (and btrfs-utils) that is released.

A lot of us choose unRAID since it is individual drives pooled together with a separate parity drive and not stripped. BTRFS RAID isn't really something that we want / need and RAID 5/6 isn't practical for most people now anyway.

Similarly, what happens if unRAID detects a parity problem with BTRFS drives?  Instead of assuming the problem is on the parity drive, will it be able to check the checksums on the data drives to determine which drive has the problem?

I think you are in good hands with unRAID. When this is implemented, you can bet that Tom will make sure it works and works well in his unRAID fault tolerance solution. All the Linux OS and WebGUI things aside, his unRAID fault tolerance has never been a question / concern (P+Q redundancy would be great and metadata checking too).

Sorry, don't quite understand what u mean by syntax and samba pertaining to AFP config, but guessing some adjustments maybe required. Why I don't like using anyone's plugins. Tom knows the tweaks that need to be made when compiling for unRAID (under slack). Thus why all this stuff (apc, email) is being request come for

LimeTech, or to grumpy's point empower us to do so ourself. Anything I find on the web reference things (commands, paths, etc) that don't work under unRAID/slack. As much as I have learned its still a pea in the pod. While others just type apt-get...

Anyway its good u chimed in that u easily compiled yourself And prefer it over 2.x

I mean this:

Netatalk 2 /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default content:

:DEFAULT: cnidscheme:dbd options:upriv,usedots,nodev
"/mnt/user/Downloads" "Downloads"   dperm:0777 fperm:0666 allow:root,gfjardim, rwlist:root,gfjardim
"/mnt/user/Music" "Music"   dperm:0777 fperm:0666 allow:root,gfjardim, rwlist:root,gfjardim
"/mnt/user/TV" "TV"   dperm:0777 fperm:0666 allow:root,gfjardim, rwlist:root,gfjardim
"/mnt/user/TimeMachine" "TimeMachine" options:tm dperm:0777 fperm:0666 allow:root,gfjardim, rwlist:root,gfjardim

Netatalk 3 /etc/afp.conf

[Global]
log level = default:note
spotlight = no
uam list = uams_dhx2.so,uams_guest.so
save password = no
zeroconf = no

[Downloads]
path = /mnt/user/Downloads
valid users = root,gfjardim,

[Music]
path = /mnt/user/Music

[TV]
path = /mnt/user/TV

[TimeMachine]
path = /mnt/user/TimeMachine
time machine = yes

It's basically the same configuration, but with different syntax, got it?  ;)

I am very happy to see that email notifications will be built into unRAID.  I was using Dynamix on unRAID 5 and I took the temperature readings and smart reports for granted.  Kind of scary to completely lose that in 6b6.

You can get some of this capability by installing unMenu. Some of its packages, including email, now support 64bit.

No you do not have to use BTRFS RAID. BTRFS RAID 5/6 is not stable and missing the repair tools. BTRFS on a single drive or RAID 0 / 1 / 10 works like a champ and gets better with each Linux Kernel (and btrfs-utils) that is released.

I have a question about how a file system gets updated. Say I format my drives to btrfs and then btrfs gets updated. Do I then have to reformat my drives to get the btrfs update? It sounds like from the post above that I would not have to do that, just updating the Linux kernel gives us the updates but I wanted to make sure.

I have a question about how a file system gets updated. Say I format my drives to btrfs and then btrfs gets updated. Do I then have to reformat my drives to get the btrfs update? It sounds like from the post above that I would not have to do that, just updating the Linux kernel gives us the updates but I wanted to make sure.

You are asking a great question and it is something that Lime Technologies is going to have to explain / have a plan for.

1. Since BTRFS is a newer file system and has a Road Map of features / functions they are going to be implementing, is it Lime Technologies plan to update unRAID when those become available?

2. If so, what do you believe your update schedule would look it? 3 Months? 6 Months? Annually? Every new Linux Kernel Release?

3. Does the unRAID kernel module need any changes to accommodate the features / functions of BTRFS (that BTRFS presently does and also in their Road Map)?

Tom in the past has been very forthcoming with changes to the unRAID Kernel Module and Resierfs. With something as big as this, I imagine he will do what he has done in the past.

Like any other File System in Linux, it is updated and new features are introduced in the Linux Kernel. There are also user admin / management tools. In BTRFS case, that is called btrfs-progs. Due to BTRFS being new, lots of new features in the works... You do not want to have the Linux Kernel (which has BTRFS) and the btrfs-progs (tools / admin / management apps) too far apart. In the past, you could literally fry your data if not using the correct Kernel version and btrfs-progs. They have since fixed that but you still do not want to be running a newer btrfs-progs on an old Linux Kernel or the other way around.

BTRFS Updates / Features Added per Linux Version

v.3.1.6 - TBD

O_TMPFILE support [1]

reworked qgroup accounting, to fix negative numbers after subvol deletion

SEARCH_TREE ioctl v2, extended for retrieving more data [2]

new balance filter limit for more finegrained balancing [3]

ioctl FS_INFO and it's sysfs counterpart export information about nodesize, sectorsize and clone_alignment

snapshots are protected during send

v3.15 (Jun 2014)

pile of send fixes (stability, speed)

worker threads now use kernel workqueues

v3.14 (Mar 2014)

optional incompat disk format improvement aiming at speedup, removing file hole representation, named no-holes

ioctl to query/change feature bits (e.g. switching on extended refs on-line now possible)

export filesystem info through sysfs: features, allocation profiles

added pairing mount options (for remount)

heap of small performance optimizations

v3.13 (Jan 2014)

snapshot-aware defrag was disabled due to problems

fiemap exports information about shared extents

bugfix and stability foucsed release

v3.12 (Nov 2013)

Major performance improvement for send/receive with large numbers of subvolumes

Support for batch deduplication (userspace tools required)

new mount option commit to set the commit interval

Lots of stability and bugfix patches

BTRFS-Progs updates / bug fixes by version:

btrfs-progs 3.14 (Apr 2014)

tarballs

fsck: fixes and enhancements to --init-extent-tree mode

fsck: chunk-recover updates

scrub: add force option -f

send: check if subvolumes are read-only

subvol delete: add options to affect commit behaviour

btrfs: add property command group

restore: add dry-run option

restore: fix restoring of compressed files

mkfs: support for no-holes feature

mkfs: option -r deals with hardlinks and relative paths

mkfs: discard phase is interruptible

documentation updates

btrfs-progs 3.14.1 (Apr 2014)

properties: fix handling of option -t

restore: fix reading of compressed extents

minor code and doc updates

btrfs-progs 3.14.2 (May 2014)

documentation is now written in asciidoc and there are manpages for each subcommand

misc bugfixes

The main Btrfs features available at the moment include:

Dynamic inode allocation

Writable snapshots, read-only snapshots

Subvolumes (separate internal filesystem roots)

Checksums on data and metadata (crc32c)

Compression (zlib and LZO)

SD (Flash storage) awareness (TRIM/Discard for reporting free blocks for reuse) and optimizations (e.g. avoiding unnecessary seek optimizations, sending writes in clusters, even if they are from unrelated files. This results in larger write operations and faster write throughput)

Efficient Incremental Backup

Background scrub process for finding and fixing errors on files with redundant copies

Online filesystem defragmentation

Offline filesystem check

Conversion of existing ext3/4 file systems

Seed devices. Create a (readonly) filesystem that acts as a template to seed other Btrfs filesystems. The original filesystem and devices are included as a readonly starting point for the new filesystem. Using copy on write, all modifications are stored on different devices; the original is unchanged.

Subvolume-aware quota support

Send/receive of subvolume changes

Efficient incremental filesystem mirroring

Batch, or out-of-band deduplication (happens after writes, not during)

Additional features in development, or planned, include:

Very fast offline filesystem check

Object-level mirroring and striping

Alternative checksum algorithms

Online filesystem check

Other compression methods (snappy, LZ4)

Hot data tracking and moving to faster devices (currently being pushed as a generic feature available through VFS)

In-band deduplication (happens during writes)

RAID 5 / 6

Wrapping this all up

As you all can see above, there are A LOT of important bug fixes, performance increases, new features, etc. in both the Linux Kernel and btrfs-progs and they come out quickly.

Are we going to have a lot of unRAID releases (6.1, 6.2, 6.3) soon after Linux Kernel releases are done or does Lime Techonology think it's better to have them every 3, 6 or annually type of updates?

One final note:

To date, BTRFS is NOT the default file system in any Linux Server Distro or even a major Linux Distro. Those people who know a lot more about File Systems and protecting your data than I do are not ready to use it yet. Perhaps it is a bit soon to use that file system in our unRAID drives (cache drive is fine).

I am running XFS (Red Hat 7 default file system and it's FAST with large files) instead of BTRFS on my important data (not including VMs, Docker, Cache Drives, etc). Until a Linux Server Distro switches to BTRFS, I won't be using it myself for important data.

One final note:

To date, BTRFS is NOT the default file system in any Linux Server Distro or even a major Linux Distro. Those people who know a lot more about File Systems and protecting your data than I do are not ready to use it yet. Perhaps it is a bit soon to use that file system in our unRAID drives (cache drive is fine).

I am running XFS (Red Hat 7 default file system and it's FAST with large files) instead of BTRFS on my important data (not including VMs, Docker, Cache Drives, etc). Util a Linux Server Distro switches to BTRFS, I won't be using it myself for important data.

Oh, I was not expecting that.  Thanks for the info.

You can get some of this capability by installing unMenu. Some of its packages, including email, now support 64bit.

Oh thanks, I did not realize unMenu worked on version 6.  I think I'll wait for a future beta to have it built in, but if I get too nervous it is good to know there are options.

One final note:

I am running XFS (Red Hat 7 default file system and it's FAST with large files) instead of BTRFS on my important data (not including VMs, Docker, Cache Drives, etc). Util a Linux Server Distro switches to BTRFS, I won't be using it myself for important data.

That was my understanding also from reading about btrfs over the last week. It looks very promising but I was concerned that it is not used very widely yet. Thanks for the detailed post Grumpy.

.... It looks very promising but I was concerned that it is not used very widely yet. ..

slightly misleading (unintentionally) :)

BTRFS is very widely used and has been in the Kernel for just over 5 years. It is just not the default on any mainstream OS yet because they rightly are very wary.

Look at ext4. That hit the kernel in 2006 and some distros are only recently getting around to it.... and ext4 was an evolutionary code change rather than a revolutionary one like BTRFS.

I am not saying anyone is wrong it is just important to understand that in filesystem land things take a VERY VERY long time to get the kind of stamp of approval we might ideally want and you could make a very argument either way if you wanted to.

It is a ballancing act and the proof is in the using... just give Limetech some leeway here to reinvent things a bit during the next couple of betas.

slightly misleading (unintentionally) :)

BTRFS is very widely used and has been in the Kernel for just over 5 years. It is just not the default on any mainstream OS yet because they rightly are very wary.

Look at ext4. That hit the kernel in 2006 and some distros are only recently getting around to it.... and ext4 was an evolutionary code change rather than a revolutionary one like BTRFS.

I am not saying anyone is wrong it is just important to understand that in filesystem land things take a VERY VERY long time to get the kind of stamp of approval we might ideally want and you could make a very argument either way if you wanted to.

It is a ballancing act and the proof is in the using... just give Limetech some leeway here to reinvent things a bit during the next couple of betas.

As usual, you are correct. I run BTRFS on many of my systems for system drives, VMs, etc. because I use many of the BTRFS features that EXT4 and even LVM cannot do.

For my important data and those drives it sits on, I do not need any of the features of BTRFS. Sure, compression and deduplication would be great but it's not a deal breaker.

As you said above, we do not have enough info to know if Lime Technologies will support compression, deduplication, snapshots, disk resizing, online defragmentation, etc. Also, BTRFS is a fast moving train at this point. There are TONs of commits each Linux Release and lots of new features being rolled out now and in the future. Knowing this, we have to know / understand how unRAID is going to deploy BTRFS and their on-going support with an update schedule for the Linux Kernel and btrfs-progs.

In the meantime, XFS is big improvement with speeds on large files compared to Reiser, it has metadata checking, great repair tools and perfectly suits my needs. Ext4 and JFS are other great choices too. What is nice (assuming unRAID gives us the option for XFS, JFS, EXT4, BTRFS, etc.) is having the ability to choose which file system we want to run. Some will choose BTRFS and have great success with it I'm sure. I just happen to not be a "trail blazer" with my important data so I will let you others sort that all out.

Its funny how timely these discussions happen on the forum as we discuss them also internally.  BTRFS is considered still to be a "beta" feature of Linux, but I would argue that is because the project as a whole isn't done yet.

A lot of btrfs functionality is VERY solid, but there may be some features more solid than others.  I think it was grumpy who highlighted in another post how raid 5 on btrfs hasn't been around nearly as long as raid 1/0.  As such, I'd argue that using a btrfs raid 5 setup would be "trailblazing" and while you could be totally fine, I wouldn't put any type of critical user data on it (family photos, important documents, etc).

And just for that... you should drop to the command line and give us 20!  ;D

Yes sir! I dropped to command line and tried to figure out the free space in BTRFS. I am calling my shot now... This is going to spawn a lot of threads / confusion.

Wait till you have 1,000+ unRAID users using BTRFS with 20+TBs of data on a bunch of drives using pooling. It's impossible to figure out the actual amount of free space and BTRFS freely admits it. The countless threads in the mailing list are very comical but nobody has ever been able to come up with a solution. If you want to melt your brain, google BTRFS free space and report back after you fully recovered.

I had used regular MD software RAID5 in it's early days.  A failure on the PATA bus caused it to go offline, When I restarted the raid array everything was scrambled. After that I never used RAID5 again. I've used software RAID1 with much success.

unRAID's unique RAID was best way to go for me.  Seeing how a badly corrupted Reiserfs disk can be recovered to some or much of it's data, makes me want to stay with it until the very end or at least we see how recoverable a corrupted BTRFS disk is.

Anyone have any experience in that realm?

So if you implement btrfs, and say you are using Raid 1 or Raid 5, you are going to spin up multiple disks for 1 movie again, or do I misunderstand the implementation?  One of the things I love about unRaid as it stands now is that it keeps down drive usage and heat when watching one movie.  Watching one movie means one drive is active.  The chances of me and my sons each watching our own movie, and the movies being on the same disk are slim, since there are 10 data drives.  I typically would have 2 or 3 drives active in total.  If I use btrfs would I then be spinning up all the drives the data is written across again?