unRAID Project Roadmap Announcements

Since we are now in 4Q, I am wondering what the probable date is for the first v6 production release, which was previously projected to happen in 3Q. Could someone at Limetech comment?  If you like, you can just respond and assign a % probability to each of the following choices (the idea is that the sum of the four percentages assigned adds up to 100):

a) any day now

b) definitely by end 4Q14

c) 1Q15

d) no predictions, it's taking a lot longer than we thought

The simple answer is it doesn't matter => it'll be released when it's ready.  The recent dramatic improvement in communications;  together with visible progress in the Beta releases and a roadmap that shows what features are planned for v6, v6.1, etc. provides good insight into what's coming down the road.

Clearly there have been some "glitches" in the Beta releases that resulted in significant efforts to resolve ... but I'd far rather have those discovered NOW (while folks KNOW they're running Beta software) than to have them pop up with a Release Candidate (or, worse yet, the actual v6.0 release).

The simple answer to your question is "As soon as it's ready"  :)

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since we are now in 4Q, I am wondering what the probable date is for the first v6 production release, which was previously projected to happen in 3Q. Could someone at Limetech comment?  If you like, you can just respond and assign a % probability to each of the following choices (the idea is that the sum of the four percentages assigned adds up to 100):

a) any day now

b) definitely by end 4Q14

c) 1Q15

d) no predictions, it's taking a lot longer than we thought

To all those who think that Limetech does not need to answer the question I have asked: your opinion is noted, but  I do not agree with this opinion.  Limetech announced a timetable. I am trying to make plans for my next build.  I have asked the question in a friendly way, and in a manner that allows information to be communicated with greater complexity than just one simple end date. I have asked the question in a way that should make it clear I am not expecting quality to be sacrificed for schedule. It is entirely appropriate that Limetech provide an answer. I am an engineer by trade, and make my living designing computer hardware, and I fully understand the complexities of development. Those complexities do not provide immunity from accountability to customers.

If the target date was missed, then LT should communicate a new target date.  Looks bad to just let the target date go by with no update.  They said 3rd quarter and it's now 4th.

Those that really thought the target date would be met, keep dreaming as LT has history of not meeting any target dates.  This is no surprise.  That said, Gary is right, we want all the issues sorted out before it goes to RC or Final and it won't be released until ready - which is a good thing. Risky business setting a target date in the first place.

Sorry, but these complaints and finger pointing about how LT missed the date is most likely just going to make them even more reluctant to make any forecasts or guesstimates of future release dates.

If you told me you'd meet me at noon for lunch, but arrived late, and then every time we spoke in the future I reminded you about how you were late for lunch that day, would you want to make plans for lunch with me again?  I wouldn't.

They set an ambitious target, they did a lot of development, and missed their estimate.  But there was a death in jonp's family, there was a reiserfs bug that got dropped in their lap, due to no fault of their own, and they have worked hard to 'automate' much of their general business procedures behind the scenes during this time.  It's not the end of the world.  If they had made the date, or if it takes another month; how does the world change, really?  It will be done when they feel it's ready and safe to release.

I hope it's soon, but I really want it to be released in a state they feel confident about.  Their estimates of when that date might be aren't really going to change my life one little bit.  I'll upgrade when it's ready, and I'll wait patiently until that day comes.

If the target date was missed, then LT should communicate a new target date.

I respectfully disagree. I think our community is a little "sensitive" with target dates (yes myself included)  :P

That said, Gary is right, we want all the issues sorted out before it goes to RC or Final and it won't be released until ready - which is a good thing. Risky business setting a target date in the first place.

Agreed!

The recent dramatic improvement in communications;  together with visible progress in the Beta releases and a roadmap that shows what features are planned for v6, v6.1, etc. provides good insight into what's coming down the road.

I am feeling much more confident that v6 will be released in the not so distant future by the recent activity of LT. "actions speak louder than words"

I appreciate all the hard work and vision going into V6, and look forward to the release.  I also think it is reasonable to request of the development team an update to the roadmap, as the target date for release was not met.

I asked the question a while back and had a to'n'fro with Jon over the roadmap and what would get done for 6.0 - and what would be left out. Starts at:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35493.msg331214#msg331214

Even with prompting he wasn't going to be silly enough to give a revised date ( ;)) but said it would be 'soon'.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see something close to an RC this or next Friday - but that's just a WAG.

Guys. Tom is working on another release now and I am hoping to have time to provide a formal update later this week on the roadmap..

Out of curiosity, is this another beta, or the first RC Tom's working on?

Beta 10b. Rc phase is VERY soon...

Great to hear.

Have you guys been looking into the parity issue some of us are reporting when booting into non-Xen configs? Hopefully you can address this before 6.0 gets too much further along.

Guys. Tom is working on another release now and I am hoping to have time to provide a formal update later this week on the roadmap..

Great to hear.

Have you guys been looking into the parity issue some of us are reporting when booting into non-Xen configs? Hopefully you can address this before 6.0 gets too much further along.

We are aware and are investigating this actively. First step is to reproduce the results.

Great to hear.

We are aware and are investigating this actively. First step is to reproduce the results.

I've posted syslog of good (Xen) parity check and bad (non-Xen) parity check in the Defects post. Hopefully you can find something in there. If needed I can boot back into non-Xen and test things for you guys.

While that's great work and is good progress on VMS and not meant in a negative way, but I still think that basic NAS requirements such as SMART monitoring, email notifications etc should be a priority and will keep slipping into 6.1, 6.2.

These are essentials that I wish LT would nail once and for all.

While that's great work and is good progress on VMS and not meant in a negative way, but I still think that basic NAS requirements such as SMART monitoring, email notifications etc should be a priority and will keep slipping into 6.1, 6.2.

I could not agree more, however I think they are moving in that direction, perhaps not as publicly.

From my understanding rsyslog is now part of unRAID 6 which opens up allot of possibilities.

+1

+1. VM's are great and all but so is having a reliable NAS with monitoring and notifications, I doubt the typical user really cares about them

+1

+2

It looks like it could be a delivery system for it. The part I wonder about is that dynamix can do this all already, as LT are utilising users work and incorporating it into V6 such as gfjardims docker page etc why can't dynamix be incorporated?

+ 10

please oh please incorporate the dynamix GUI in some way. I MISS IT

Because this is a roadmap thread, in the first post jonp talks about email notifications and ups native support and LT are close to an RC but no info has been made public about these features. A lot of users would like this feature, a polite query has been raised to LT and other users show they would also like these features. Does that explain it to you?